Sign in to follow this  
Guest redcaporandasrock!

1St Breeding Programme Help

Guest redcaporandasrock!

This is a topic so you can follow my 1st ever breeding programme. I am breeding red cap oandas. My first problem (so far) is that Ib am not sure if my red cap is growing breeding tubercles or has got white spot on his wen. He's suddenly got pin head sized white marks on his red wen (cap). HELP!

Here is a pic of him before he got the spots:

Bella looking good.JPG

redcaporandarock

White spots on the wen are often wen growth, breeding tubercles are on the gill plates and the front fins not the wen. Can you try and upload your pic again? Or put a link up?

Sarah is right. It is very easy though to distinguish breeding tubercles from ich. Ich first latches on the fins, not the body so you don't get the signals confused easily if you know what you are looking into.

Guest redcaporandasrock!

OK

He has two, tiny, identical white spots on his dorsal fin. His wen has equal dots on both sides, :ill

I don't know. The spots may be a birth mark or something.

:gcar:

UPDATE:

My goldies are well

the pic does not come out it keeps saying you are not allowed to use that image extension on this board.

rcor

Can you upload the pic onto photobucket and then either copy across the direct link or the one in [ IMG] brackets? I don't like the sound of those dorsal spots...I've never heard of ich on the wen but it does hit it usually hits the tail and fins first, you don't get breeding stars on the dorsal, just the front fins.

Edited by devilduck

Sounds like either those mysterious spots that don't bother the fish much or simply scarring tissues but pics should b helpful enough for us to determine what exactly it is. Doesn't sound like breeding tubercles at all and I have never known that to occur on dorsal fins but pectoral fins.

Upload via photobucket. I would suggest against using the attachment system here because last time it was used for avatars, etc, it prevented the forum from working properly due to excess bandwidth.:(

Link does not work.

Wait, you admitted in another thread that you have a seriously overstocked tank, you have no idea what your water parameters are and now you want to BREED these fish? You don't have adequate space for the fish you have now, so how will you have enough space, filtration and time when (and if) the fish spawn and they lay thousands of eggs? And where will you raise the HUNDREDS of fry that will hatch from the fertilized eggs? After I think just a few months, those fry will need the standard 10 gallons per fish. If you have 100 fry that's a 1,000 gallon tank, not to mention the filters and the food.

Can you handle culling? Killing off the deformed fry that can't compete with the others for food so that they don't starve? How will you care for the fry, if any survive, if you can't find them homes? What about proper filtration and food for all the fish?

Goldfish are unbelievably expensive fish to keep.

Copy and paste the url code from the address bar, Redcaporandasrock. It'll work much easier this way.

Guest redcaporandasrock!

Ashley- I could see your point if I hadn't bought 5 more extra large tanks. I'm not that irresponsible, you know.

How can a 10 year old afford 5 more "extra large" tanks? And if you have these larger tanks, why don't you do the RESPONSIBLE thing and properly care for the fish you already have before you start breeding?

You should really do some reading before you even attempt to breed these fish. If they're still having issues they won't breed AT ALL.

Breeding Goldies by blinky000

A Diary of Raising Fry w/Photos by Sorsha

All Kinds of Fry Food by Ranchugirl

Ashley, that is a really good point. With any breeding program you need the parents to be the healthiest highest quality fish you can get (I would probably order from Ken's if I were going to try something like this...which I'm not). And they need to be cared for with the highest standards. With goldfish, I really think it takes at least a year to understand the entire process of caretaking. I think anybody who wants to start a responsible breeding program should have had goldies for a few years before even considering breeding.

What size are these large tanks? Have your current goldies upgraded to a larger tank? Do you know for sure that you have both male and female red caps?