Goldie Gulping

Guest redcaporandasrock!

Guest redcaporandasrock!

I have a tank of five goldfish, two red cap orandas, one black moor and a fantail. One of them keeps going to the top of my 25 gallon tank and gulping air. None of the others are doing it. The temperature is 19 degrees celcius, which is perfectly normal. He appears fine, except for being a little withdrawn and on the small side. He swims freely, except his dorsal fin is always folded over. I add half a capful of Nutrafin aqua plus two days a week which makes nitrite and ammonia disappear and stops stress in fish. I clean the tank once every two weeks and have a filter. They eat flaked food, water weed and bloodworms in jelly. The others are healthy.

Sorry my pics won't come out.

redcaporandasrocks

• Admin

Well first off I can say hun.... Your tank is over stocked and he doing that cause of the lack of O2 in the tank. Goldfish are very dirty fish, and they use alot of o2. Goldfish need a min of 10 gals per fish.... I know, every says there so small... but they use alot of oxygen and they produce alot of ammonia...

The other thing, is I need the information at the top answered.

i know you gave me some information... but its alot easier to know the whole story...

But first off I can say hes doing that cause the tank is to crowed...

:welcome

Guest redcaporandasrock!

I don't know how to get ammonia/ph levels. This is all I know.

Another tank mate, Reneesmee has started gulping.

My link

Here is a pic of all my fish. If it comes out, that is.

Sorry about overstocking.

I may be getting a new tank.

RCOR

As Koko said, you have a lot of fish in a small place. That being said, the first thing you need to do, is get an air pump and stone in there to help get some more oxygen into the water. Something like this LINK. Next, to test for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and ph you need a liquid test kit like this LINK. Since you don't have these things I would do a 50% water change to get some fresh water and oxygen into the tank and help get some waste out. Make sure the temp and ph are compatible with what is in the tank. You also need to do the water changes at least every other day, if not every day until you get a bigger tank to house that number of fish. What kind of filter do you have? Do you know how many gallons per hour it pumps out? I see that you are 10 years old, and a lot of this information is probably overwhelming, but keep asking questions and we'll keep answering them. Can one of your parents help you out at all? I don't know what stores you have available to you, but the air pump and bubble wand should be easy to locate, the test kit you may have to order, and keep an eye out for a bigger tank. Hopefully this will help you get started, and more info can be achieved when you get the test kit and we know your numbers. Hang in there.

Also, to post pictures, upload them to photobucket.com and post those links.

Best Regards,

Norm

Edited by acenorm

I've read in several locations online that air pumps and air stones or bubble walls, or decorations that bubble, etc. aren't actually putting oxygen into the water, all they are doing is keeping the surface of the water stirred up, and that's what promotes Carbondioxide (CO2) leaving the water, and Oxygen (O2) entering the water. One Goldfish oriented site even says to get rid of the air pump and bubbler stuff, and replace it with a $10-$25 pond pump, like the "Quiet One" or "Rio Plus." Placing the pond pump so that it's outlet is pointing upward and it's keeping the surface agitated.

Koko, what do you (and others) think about this?

We all use bubble wands, air stones, or bubble bars here to help oxyenate our tank water. The finer the bubbles are the better it puts air in the water...they also do agitate the water surface:)

Austinado16 is sort of right

Lots of people misunderstand how an airstone/bubble wand work.

Water is an oxygen poor environment and contains only five percent of the oxygen that the same volume of air does

Little of the oxygen in the bubble actually dissolves in the water. The important bit is the way the bubbles move the water up, in a sort of colume, as they rise so the less oxygen-saturated water is lifted to the surface where it can give off CO2 and take on oxygen. It is the water surface area of an aquarium where the main exchange of gases occurs and the bubbles also assist in this by increasing movement and surface area for this exchange.

Jamie is right about little bubbles being better as when they burst at the surface they give even greater water surface area for the exchange than large ones.

Also during hours of daylight, if you have a planted tank plants are the most important means by which oxygen enters the aquatic environment at night they are the enemy.

I have my tank set up with a spray bar on each side and three airstones set up across the middle of the tank so there is good water movement and surface movement at all places in the tank to help as much as possible.

Edited by hpsauce