Fish Biting Tail?

Guest am1e

Hi--

I've been a member of this forum for a couple of months now but haven't really had time to been in here a lot, so if this topic is posted in the wrong area, please kindly move to the correct area--THANKS!

I have four fantail goldfish, they currently live in a 125 gallon tank, I bought them all at the same fish store, at the same time, I've had them for one year now. They used to live in a 55 gallon tank and I've recently upgraded to my new tank, I kept them in the old 55 gallon tank until they water in my new tank was cycled. Recently I've noticed that one red-capped oranda's tail was shredded, at first I thought it was because of my water levels, but I've noticed that my other goldfish are chasing him around and biting at his tail. I've since separated him from the others and have him housed in a separate tank. However, I am still curious and don't understand why they would do that to him when they've basically "grown up" together and I've never seen this type of behavior from them before? I thought goldfish were not "aggressive" fish. Any input and/or insights would be helpful and greatly appreciated!

THANKS everyone!

-Worried owner

Hi Amie,

Are you sure you may not be observing possible breeding behavior? Were you able to figure out the sexes of all four goldfish you have? How big are they?

Some goldfish can be more dominant than others so it is possible a few can be aggressive but it could also be a sign of spawning behavior.

Here are some ways to determine their sexes.:)

59581331.jpg

112jm.jpg

83027654.jpg

114eq.jpg

Hi--

I've been a member of this forum for a couple of months now but haven't really had time to been in here a lot, so if this topic is posted in the wrong area, please kindly move to the correct area--THANKS!

I have four fantail goldfish, they currently live in a 125 gallon tank, I bought them all at the same fish store, at the same time, I've had them for one year now. They used to live in a 55 gallon tank and I've recently upgraded to my new tank, I kept them in the old 55 gallon tank until they water in my new tank was cycled. Recently I've noticed that one red-capped oranda's tail was shredded, at first I thought it was because of my water levels, but I've noticed that my other goldfish are chasing him around and biting at his tail. I've since separated him from the others and have him housed in a separate tank. However, I am still curious and don't understand why they would do that to him when they've basically "grown up" together and I've never seen this type of behavior from them before? I thought goldfish were not "aggressive" fish. Any input and/or insights would be helpful and greatly appreciated!

THANKS everyone!

-Worried owner

The only thing I can think of my dear is that your shredded-tail fish is a female and your other chasing ones were male. Apparently not only do males chase the females they are also known to bash them around a bit, so it may have just been mating behaviour?

I think someone who has actually had baby fish before can tell you more!

xxx

P.S. HEY LUPIN. I was here first hahahaha :P

Edited by Goldfish Carer

I don't think it is aggression...

Goldfish are little piggies! They eat anything.

I just seperated 2 males ( I am 100% sure of the sexes) because of the same problem. Pharoah is a large brown oranda (12") with a long flowing tail and Wanda (yes he is named Wanda!) is a commet (9"). They have shared a 55 gallon tank for over a year.

Wanda just started munching on Pharoah's tail. It looked like the same behavior the fish use to eat plants or seaweed strips. Wanda would suck up a part of Pharoah's tail and shake this piece trying to rip it off. I have had this problem before with a male ryukin.

The only recommendation is to seperate them. I moved my 3 large female goldfish in with Pharoah. Wanda is now in a 39 gallon tank by himself. Because I feel goldfish are social, I am looking for a common (short tailed) male buddy for Wanda. I am hoping the short tail will be less tempting.

Good luck!

Edited by Goldfish Geisha