Panda Goldfish!

blackteles

Hi everyone,

I've been thinking about getting a Panda Telescope in the future once I have my second 55 gallon tank running and cycled. (Did I mention that a new 55 gallon tank is looking pretty good right about now)? :whatjust:

Anyway, I'd like to get your thoughts on a few questions I have concerning the Panda Telescope:

1. What is your experience of Panda Telescopes keeping their markings/pattern?

2. From your experience and/or opinion will they change to solid white as they mature?

3. How many Panda Telescopes do you have at present or have had in the past?

4. Oh, and pictures please! That would help strengthen my decision. :exactly

Thanks! :D

-Dennis

So-you know I got Vivian from Steve...she was a beautiful panda!! Not-no longer a "panda"....she is basically all white, and I got her on the 4th of December...so short lived. BUT-if you like your Snow-then you are OK. She is my only one and as much as I love her, I would be pressed to get another black and white.....she has grown a lot since I got her too....very mellow fish, but wonder if half of that is b/c she doesn't see so great.

here is a before~IMG_2843.jpg

and after~ She looks rough-injured her other eye....doing fine, just a prize fighter, I guess!

IMG_3904.jpg

CO, I do remember Viv's situation well! Although Snow didn't have nearly if any as good of Panda markings as Viv had, I see where Snow has lost most of her black as she was in her original Rain Garden photo. Viv is still a beauty in my book though! I'd never trade Snow as she has lost a lot of her black and I still think Viv and Snow are related! lol :)

-Dennis

This was my panda. The black only lasted about 4 months after I got him.

1.IMGP0595.jpg

2. pandababe-1.jpg

3. P1010689.jpg

Im sad to say I lost this sweet fish after only a year or so.

Thanks Trinket! Yes, that's sad that you lost him. Well so far it looks like Pandas won't hold that pattern as they mature? I'm thinking it may just be an adolescent fish pattern, but I could be wrong here.

-Dennis

No, they can't. The black color is by far the most unstable color eventually fading away. This is apoptosis or cell death wherein the melanin cannot be replaced and instead taken over by a new pigment.

If you want to keep the panda patterns for a long time, then you have to consider growing them in a pond with green water and indirect sunlight. They as with other varieties of fish usually retain their dark colors for long periods better than when kept in indoor tanks.

If you are hoping to get a panda telescope, then I would not expect much from it to keep its color. If you like to try it, go for it.

I haven't visited my friend's house in a long time but he keeps an adult panda moor that was raised in the pond for a period of time. I dunno if the black remains the same or has faded away but the last time I visited him, the panda moor had faded black tint when he decided to keep it in the indoor tank for about 3 months already. Currently, it is suffering from dropsy I think. I dunno if it has recovered yet. He never responded to my text messages despite advising him before what to do...sigh...

Thanks Lupin, I was afraid of that lol. Again it comes down to the fact that the Pandas won't keep their pattern as they reach maturity when kept in home aquariums. In my case, a pond won't happen. So far the results have been very interesting. :)

-Dennis