Question About Goldfish Babies

Guest Terregale

Guest Terregale

Hi All,

I am new to the forum and goldfish in general. I have had guppies before and raised plenty of guppy fry but never goldfish. My boyfriend LOVES fish and I decided to get him a couple of goldfish. I have a Black Moor whom we have discovered is a boy and an orange (gold) fantail who is a girl. A few days ago our fantail laid a ton of eggs. We moved the goldies to another tank to keep the eggs where they were. We now have a bunch of goldfish fry swimming around as of yesterday when they hatched.

What kind of babies can I expect from this breeding and any info on caring for goldfish fry would be much appreciated.

How exciting! That is great....there are a couple people here who can give you some tips...Lupin and Jayne....they will come along soon. I have NO idea-I haven't got eggs from mine, let alone FRY!!!!

Goldfish fry do not need to be fed until they are swimming horizontally. Then they need to be fed every 4 hours or so during daylight hours.

The BEST food for the fry is newly hatched baby brine shrimp. This requires you to set up a shrimp hatchery - something that involves time and consistancy and some work. If your fry are already swimming, though, you need to feed them NOW.

Some people will feed fry hardboiled eggyolks that are stirred into water to make a yellowish slurry water. This can be wholesome food - but is also FULL of downfalls. It is going to be essential that you keep the fry tank's water pristine. A lot of fry can make a lot of waste. Egg feeding introduces food that will rot and mold within hours. It is not really for beginners.

If you can, I would suggest getting to a store.... Pet Sm art and others of the same ilk have frozen baby brine shrimp that you can buy. Drop a frozen pellet of the baby brine shrimp into the tank and as it melts, the babies will gulp them down. If you have 1000s of fry, you may spend your entire paycheck on the frozen food - but it is well worth it.

If you have not already, set up a sponge filter going for the fry. At this young age, an air bubbler pulling the water through the sponge is sufficiant. The cycle will build. As the fry get older, you can add a powerhead to the sponge, then a full filter with the sponge on the intake and finally a filter. Get the cycld started immediately.

VERY CAREFULLY remove the unhatched eggs and any that have developed fungus. If you are not comfortable with a syphon hose, use a turkey baster to suck out the waste. You can use a sponge attached to the end of the syphon hose to remove water or use a net bag held away from the syphon tube. Just to not disturb the fry. At this stage, too much current may damage backs and fins. Getting sucked up is a death sentence.

Hi,I have fry at the moment and since they were first free swimming they have been fed mainly on newly hatched brine shrimp and microworms.You can also buy liquid fry food (known as liquifry in the UK) and also powdered or frozen fry foods, if you have a good lfs they should stock various types.

Feed little and often and keep your water conditions as good as you can,I do a small partial water change twice a day,vacuuming the floor at the same time to get rid of detritus.

I suspect your babies will be more fantail like than moor like as I would guess than telescope eyes are a recessive gene,although nothing is certain with goldfish genetics,which is half the fun!

Edit - Daryl beat me to it lol!

Guest Terregale

Thanks for the info guys. I fed all my baby guppies newly hatched brine shrimp so I know what is involved with that. I guess I should not have really said they are free swimming, they tend to hang out on the sides of the tank and they all seem to be more noticeable when the light is off. Anyone know anything about colors etc that we might get. I know that both my fantail girl and my black moor have the same pretty tails so I am assuming if these guys make it that they will also have that type tail not sure about the eyes though since my moor has telescope eyes obviously and the female has normal eyes...and colors. I can't wait until they get bigger :)

It was fun watching my guppy babies grow and develop their colors so it should be interesting to watch these guys as well.