Early Ich

ParadiseLost

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? Sorry I don't have a test kit right now :(

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 20 gallons, just over a week.

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Aqua Flow 200, 200-400 litres, running with their old filter from their old tank (11 litre Elite) for good cycling.

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? Every week to two weeks, currently I haven't changed the water yet because I just put in a new filter and have begun a treatment for infections and after the third day of treatment (tomorrow) I will start changing the water.

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 3, all under 2 inches.

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? 3 times a day, bloodworm and peas as treats, soaked flake food and Hikari Goldfish Staple pellets soaked.

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? One two weeks ago.

[*]Any medications added to the tank? eSHa 2000, treats multiple infections: Fungus, finrot and bacteria treatment (very good in the past).

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? A little white spot on Klaus's tail, I suspect it's ich, Shiny has a possible white spot on gills but this could just be breeding stars.

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No, they all seem quite happy!

So I've caught whatever this is quite early, and I want to make sure the other two don't get it. I've treated their water with the eSHa which is good stuff but I want to double the attack, do you think this is a good idea? Or should I just leave them to fend it off with the eSHa? I just don't want it to get horrendous by not acting quickly enough but I don't want to be overdoing it too soon!

I was thinking I should start salting, but having never done this before I was hoping for some advice.

DSC01284

That's his tail.

Thanks xxx

oooookkkkk. First things first...you absolutely 100% need to get a test kit asap this is an essential tool for any fish tank. You also need a thermomitor b/c your tank temprature is important as well. If you don't have a heater either you will need to get one of these too. Are you not using a water conditioner aka something to remove the chlorine out of your water? You NEED to be doing daily water changes since your tank isn't cycled or your ammonia level is going to get so high it's going to kill all of your fish. Please read the link under my sig that says cycling your tank...this is VERY important. If ick is the case the BEST and safest way to treat it is to bring the salt level of your tank to .3% over the next three days and put your tank temp up to 80 degrees...this will kill the ick without stressing your fish like medications do. There is a link for salting under my sig as well...please read these links and get back with me...I will walk you through everything you need to know.

Lou you need to get some aquarium salt and get the temp up, I've seen the eSHa before on someone elses thread, they seemed to like it but I was a bit dubious. Personal opinion? Stick with something you know what the ingredients are. You can buy aquarium salt at pets at home.

Add one teaspoon of salt per gallon to a jug of hot water, stir until dissolved (maybe do in chunks of 5 teaspoons so it dissolves easier), add cold water and add to tank. This will bring it up to 0.1% salt, do this again after 12 hours to bring it up to 0.2% salt and again another 12 hours later to 0.3%. Leave it at this level until about 2-3 days after the spots have disappeared, then bring it down to 0.2% and leave it there for another 4-5 days, then 2-3 days at 0.1%.

Each time you remove water you remove salt, so if you remove 50% of the water you remove 50% of the salt and need to add this back in. For a 20 gallon tank that's 10tsps per 0.1% per 50% water.

Lou you need to get some aquarium salt and get the temp up, I've seen the eSHa before on someone elses thread, they seemed to like it but I was a bit dubious. Personal opinion? Stick with something you know what the ingredients are. You can buy aquarium salt at pets at home.

Add one teaspoon of salt per gallon to a jug of hot water, stir until dissolved (maybe do in chunks of 5 teaspoons so it dissolves easier), add cold water and add to tank. This will bring it up to 0.1% salt, do this again after 12 hours to bring it up to 0.2% salt and again another 12 hours later to 0.3%. Leave it at this level until about 2-3 days after the spots have disappeared, then bring it down to 0.2% and leave it there for another 4-5 days, then 2-3 days at 0.1%.

Each time you remove water you remove salt, so if you remove 50% of the water you remove 50% of the salt and need to add this back in. For a 20 gallon tank that's 10tsps per 0.1% per 50% water.

Thank you for the advice, I am going to go to my LFS to find some aquarium salt (luckily it's open til 7 today!). I trust eSHa as it has helped Shin through a very rough patch not long after I got him. I'll look for other equipment too like the testing kit and the tank has a sticky thermometer thing but I think it lies! Yes they have a heater in the tank so it has helped regulate their water, it came with the tank! I'll go and look now at getting a new one too.

I'll let you know my next step!

xxx

Just a helpful hint, I don't dissolve the salt. Since I have a HOB filter, I just put the salt right in there and let it dissolve naturally and enter the tank in small doses to not shock the environment. I'm sure this could be done with a canister filter as well. My 2 cents worth.

Best Regards,

Norm

Right, I read all about the cycling your tank with fish in it on your link MrsMohr thank you! And I have bought an (expensive) test kit, so I tested the water. I am not sure I understand this entirely as the results made sense to me until I tested for nitrates:

Ammonia: 0.25 ppm to 0 (it's a colour inbetweeny but I'll go with the higher).

Nitrites: 0 ppm

Nitrates: 0 ppm

So... I have some Ammonia but it's very low but nothing else... so I presume I am waiting for the Nitrites now? Seeing as I am nearing the 10th day.

I got a thermometer and it says I am currently at 20degreesC so 70 F, and it has a little green bar on the thermometer to let me know if I'm in the right temperratures for my fish and I am, so that's great. I am wondering how I can raise the temperature without just leaving my heating light on all night? It's in my bedroom y'see...

Anyway that's what I have so far. Now I'm going to tidy my room because it's a tip, then salt later when I've read up. xxx

You're on the right track, the heater is not essential, but it does speed up the lifecycle of ich, which is very useful when eradicating it so it's highly recommended. You might want to check your temperature in the morning when the light has been turned off all night to check it's not fluctuating too much, this can cause stress and make fish sick.

Your cycle readings are a little odd...when did you last do a water change? With that low ammonia reading I'd expect at least some nitrites. Did you get a drops or strips test kit?

Edited by devilduck

Actually a heater is necessary for goldfish b/c they do prefer a temp between 74 and 78 degrees...espeically if you live in the northern states where it gets cold. With the water being that cold in the tank (don't worry it's not going to hurt your fish) it's going to take your tank longer to cycle...the beneficial bacteria grow better in warmer water...I would keep my tank at 75 at least until it's done cycling.

Right so I have kept the water at a regulated heat now, we are always between 21 and 22C, excellent for the fishes.

I tested the water last night and got the same results as before, what does this mean? Has my tank even started cycling?

I am now wondering if it safe for me to begin salting, as I was reading a sticky and it said it needed Ammonia and Nitrates to be at 0... well they are now but what if they pick up in a couple of days?

Also have done a big fat water change and am going to do another one tonight, and have administered tap safe solution so the water is all good! Just thinking about the salting.

Klaus's tail still has the little spot, it's perhaps a little smaller but isn't ick supposed to fall off? Sarah suggested to me it could be a stress spot... new tank, funny water or something else stressing him out do you think? Hopefully now I can keep an eye on my water levels I can keep stress to a minimum... thoughts?

Cheers :D

Just a helpful hint, I don't dissolve the salt. Since I have a HOB filter, I just put the salt right in there and let it dissolve naturally and enter the tank in small doses to not shock the environment. I'm sure this could be done with a canister filter as well. My 2 cents worth.

Best Regards,

Norm

I was under the impression that if you don't dissolve the salt it can and does kill the beneficial bacteria. Since where the bacteria are mostly is in your filter, then this would be a very bad thing to do! Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

To me the picture doesn't look like Ich, but it is a little blurry so it's hard to say for sure.

Edited by Sakura

Best Regards,

Norm

I was under the impression that if you don't dissolve the salt it can and does kill the beneficial bacteria. Since where the bacteria are mostly is in your filter, then this would be a very bad thing to do! Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

To me the picture doesn't look like Ich, but it is a little blurry so it's hard to say for sure.

I could be wrong, but salt is salt, and dissolved salt will go through your filter anyway. I have heard of people dissolving the salt, but I thought it was so the fish don't go after it. I have never had any problems with a cycle crash when salting.

Edited by acenorm

Best Regards,

Norm

I could be wrong, but salt is salt, and dissolved salt will go through your filter anyway. I have heard of people dissolving the salt, but I thought it was so the fish don't go after it. I have never had any problems with a cycle crash when salting.

I made a video (ignore my music lol) so you might be able to see him better, as you can imagine he is an active, wiggly young fish.

I've decided I don't want to risk just leaving it, so am I ready to salt now?

S6000242
- video

I've basically made my mind up that I don't want to take the risk. I can't see anything for definite to see and spread of any other white spots on him or the others, just something on Pumpkin that may well just be her colouring (calico that she is). Cheers xxx

My oranda got a bump on her tail that did not respond to any meds (she was already on Metro Meds, then I started her on Medi-Gold, and tank was salted up to .3%.) It was just one lone bump, lasted a few weeks, growing ever so slightly as the weeks went on..then suddenly it was completely gone except for a small black mark in it's spot. No sign of it now, tail is 100% healed but it's been a couple of months and I see a similar bump on her dorsal that I am not sure is related but so far is behaving the same exact way. Doesn't seem to affect or slow her down at all, and I read that fish can get random bumps sometimes that have yet to be explained (?).

She is being treated for flukes now (haven't had her that long so I have been going through all the necessary preventative measures.) Pretty sure she came with a decent fluke load, so maybe that has something to do with the weird bumps...but I just don't know? I hit the forums when the first bump appeared and was reassured not to be too worried about it unless there were some other symptoms. (I can be a goldfish hypochondriac so it's hard for me but I am trying to not get too worried about it as long as she is acting fine!) :D

I am going to keep an eye on this thread though to see if anyone comes up with any possible answers, in case our fish may have a similar condition....good luck with getting him well! :) If it is the same thing though, you can be reassured that my fish still seems 100% healthy in spite of the bump(s).