Chinese Black Oranda

HNLim

I want to preface this by saying... this is just my opinion! lol Ok

The oranda looks good, no obvious flaws and everything looks how it should. However it's lacking something that I can't describe for some reason. Personality maybe? It just doesn't really stand out to me. If I saw this fish along with many other show quality fish he wouldn't stand out to me at all. Just bland I guess. Again just my opinion :hide: lol

Now the one in your signature, Mr. Lim, I like VERY much! :D

Guest Kelsang

The oranda looks good, no obvious flaws and everything looks how it should. However it's lacking something that I can't describe for some reason. Personality maybe? It just doesn't really stand out to me. If I saw this fish along with many other show quality fish he wouldn't stand out to me at all. Just bland I guess. Again just my opinion :hide: lol

Now the one in your signature, Mr. Lim, I like VERY much! :D

Yes! I had the same thought but I guess I was a coward :peeka

There does seem like something is missing from that goldies...

Don't expect much from a S$15/- (US$10/-) oranda. Will update him in a couple of weeks.

Do you expect him to retain his coloring? If so I think he's worth much more ;)Either way it's a beautiful fish.

There is a very good chance that he will retain his jet black colour. I think he is probably about 6 months old and still have a very long way to go. Let's see what I can do with him.

So beautiful! I adore orandas.heartpump.gif

HNLim, I'll let you know if my trip to Singapore pushes through on third week of February. I need to clear my office and school records first. If not, we can always try another time this year hopefully. I'm hoping I could push the trip.

He's a nice deep bodied oranda! Something seems unbalanced about his tail fins to me though, can't put my finger on it though. I'm totally curious to see how this guy will grow out maybe when he gets a bit more girth on him his tail will balance out for me. Keep us posted on his progress. He's a looker. :)

HNLim, I'll let you know if my trip to Singapore pushes through on third week of February. I need to clear my office and school records first. If not, we can always try another time this year hopefully. I'm hoping I could push the trip.

You are most welcome. You will be in the mists of CNY celebration. Should have plenty of goldfish to see.

He will most certainly grow up to "WOW" all the ladies here.

The oranda looks good, no obvious flaws and everything looks how it should. However it's lacking something that I can't describe for some reason. Personality maybe? It just doesn't really stand out to me. If I saw this fish along with many other show quality fish he wouldn't stand out to me at all. Just bland I guess. Again just my opinion hide.gif lol

Now the one in your signature, Mr. Lim, I like VERY much! biggrin.gif

Yes! I had the same thought but I guess I was a coward peepwallA.gif

There does seem like something is missing from that goldies...

I don't know much regarding show fish, but the only thing I see missing............is he's not in my tankwink.gif

I think he is beautiful, wish I had him!

I'm afraid I'm with the others, he looks 'unbalanced' to me, his cheek growth is huge compared to his top-head, and the tail and dorsal are not big enough to compensate for the huge head. A bit like some really short-tailed, very high and fat ryukins, they just don't seem proportioned to be easy on the eyes to me.

I do like the hint of chocolate striping along his sides on the first pic, and he has a very well proportioned rounded body too (just to even it out a bit!), I'll be interested to see how he grows, presumably long tailed fish don't start as fry with longer tails than their short tailed relatives. He might grow out a bit (though I doubt those cheeks will get smaller!!!)

For the price he's an absolute stunner, but then a lot of fish are in Singapore, China and Japan, but if I had to pick one fish from a shop in those areas for that much money, it probably would not have been him.

Sorry if this seems a little harsh, I'm not a breeder or a show fish, so I tend to just look at proportions and balance and I guess 'cuteness' rather than potential so much, I don't have the experience to judge that. Please update us when he's a bit older and has been under your care for a while!

I'm afraid I'm with the others, he looks 'unbalanced' to me, his cheek growth is huge compared to his top-head, and the tail and dorsal are not big enough to compensate for the huge head. A bit like some really short-tailed, very high and fat ryukins, they just don't seem proportioned to be easy on the eyes to me.

I do like the hint of chocolate striping along his sides on the first pic, and he has a very well proportioned rounded body too (just to even it out a bit!), I'll be interested to see how he grows, presumably long tailed fish don't start as fry with longer tails than their short tailed relatives. He might grow out a bit (though I doubt those cheeks will get smaller!!!)

For the price he's an absolute stunner, but then a lot of fish are in Singapore, China and Japan, but if I had to pick one fish from a shop in those areas for that much money, it probably would not have been him.

Sorry if this seems a little harsh, I'm not a breeder or a show fish, so I tend to just look at proportions and balance and I guess 'cuteness' rather than potential so much, I don't have the experience to judge that. Please update us when he's a bit older and has been under your care for a while!

Thanks for your frank comments.

Let's get the perspective right first. I bought this guy because I had been looking to developing that perfect/ideal black oranda. This fella seems to have the traits that I am looking for as all the orandas in that tank-full had that same head features that I was looking for.

Secondly this fella is only about 6 months old and have a long way to go. Let's see how he developes in a couple of weeks time.

I am not trying to defend anything here but I guess US$10/- is a pretty good buy even in Singapore for such quality. A similar age and quality Thai bred black oranda would easily set you back US$120/- a piece, and that is provided you can find one.

I paid US$100/- in 1996 for this fella when he was about 4.5 inches long.

dghqvr.jpg

This is the fish that started the oranda craze in Singapore and because of that the prizes have risen to about 3 times that since 1996.

Good black oranda are very hard to come by and they are ususlly prized about 30% to 40% higher than the traditional colour ones.

My goal is to be able to produce a strain that will be able to consistently produce champion black oranda that will be far superior to that of the "First Junior Champion".

I think he's fantastic, plenty of potential there!

My only 'dislike' is his proportions. He seems 'head heavy' (Ie, big wen, but short fins) making him look weighed down by his head. But that's just personal preference, I think he's going to grow into a fine looking fish either way! :D