Starting Salt Water With 10 G Tank

dlinks

So, i got used 40 gal tank for my goldies, and left with a 10 gal tank.

and I want to try out a salt water tank. I wanna see how different it is than freshwater.

I know that 10 gal is very very small. but what if I dont add fish?

I'm still in progess of searching... so any help would be nice.

thank

• Admin

Well there is alot to think about....

Is it going to have fish, Is it going to have coral....

You will need a filter but one with out a BioWheel on it, you will need a skimmer if you have Coral in the tank.

Also you will have to think about Rock, to help cycle the tank.

Also about lighting, if you have corals you will need lots of light.

I can't offer much advice but I do know that a good friend of mine got into saltwater tanks back when I got into goldies. She started with a 10 gallon and found it pretty hard, she lost a lot of fish at first. Eventually she upgraded to a 50 gallon but she DID manage to keep the 10 gallon going as a QT tank with snails. So it is possible, you'll just have to plan well and know exactly what's required.

i have a the light and filter from the 10 gal tank. i dont wanna buy more.

so i guess if the coral need more light that normal, then i probably wont get it.

i want to have fish, if possible. but i dont want to get a fish that can't be in 10 gal.

• Admin

Well with just fish you would be able to have two small fish in there and a nice handful of crabs or shrimps in there....

that would be alot easier for you to start with hun. I wouldnt need a skimmer either. :)

If you really want a nano you have to be prepared to work at it. It is very different from freshwater but very rewarding. I keep a 7 gallon nano reef and a 29 gallon reef. The 7 gallon demands more work than the 29 but it can be done. I'm including a link to one of the best sites on nano reef that I have found. The page I linked talks about the fish you can choose but look under the library tab and you'll find tons of great articles on how to start up and maintain your nano. Good luck and if you do start it up I would love to hear how it goes.:)

http://www.nano-reef.com/articles/?article=5

what a bout a puffer? GPS ?

i saw ppl mention it need a salt water tank?

i swore the puffers are fresh water.. not unless they have different versions. i dunno, though they are cool fish! this sounds like a BIG jump from fresh water. tell me how it goes! i am curious. sounds like a LOT of work!

• 1 month later...

GPS puffers start fresh then into brackish and then full marine, also a no no in a small tank (to messy)

anyroad as for a 10 gallon tank i would go for no fish in it bit of live rock and soft corals live Zoas i kept a tank like this and loved it,

bigger is easier but cost go up,

as i understock and spend money when its needed to be spent and do the mainteance needed i have a hassle free time with my marine tank :)