Lfs Fish

ParadiseLost

No, I haven't got a new fish though I was so tempted!

I went back to my LFS today to get more fishy food and some pebbles for the tank. I couldn't help looking at the fancies they had, all very young except two rather large orandas and 3 or 4 large single tails. Then I spotted the pearlscales, a type which I am totally in love with. I noticed an orange one in there and he was very active and friendly, but he had terribly frayed fins, not just his tailfin all of them.

So when I had checked him out and I had chosen the food and taken it to the counter I told the shop assistant I thought he needed a bit of TLC and I would have taken him home myself for it if I could fit him in. He said he'd take him out and put him in quarantine upstairs. YAY.

I'm totally gonna go back later tomorrow and have a look see if he has actually done what he said. I HOPE SO. If he hasn't I'll kick up a fuss. I so nearly bought him and took him home for my 10 litre QT, but he'd have had to have lived in that and he wouldn't have gotten much bigger.

I hope you're proud lol. xxx

• 2 weeks later...

It's so hard to resist a cute goldie, but you did good!

:devilangel

Hmmmmm I went back today to buy salt because of Klaus. He is the only one left :( They have moved him into a tank all by himself so he wont be picked on or anything though which makes me feel a bit better but he is left behind :(

I really want to get him ARGH it's so hard to resist it... I could put him in my bow (yes bowl, it's a biggie) if I got him... don't know :( xxx

Do you have the room and a filter for a plastic tub? I'd try to resist getting him unless you have plans for a tank upgrade or second tank, much as it sucks to say :(

Well I have a filter and a big plastic tub or two but I'd rather they weren't permanent... this sucks! I want to find him a responsible home grrrr

I NEED EVERYONE'S HELP

That little Pearlscale is on his last fins. I want to take him home because if he's left there he's going to DIE. I can house him temporarily in my big yellow tub with my spare filter while I care for him. HOWEVER... it HAS to be temporary. I can't keep him fulltime unless he wants to see 4 yellow walls for a very long time. It's breaking my heart and he needs love.

IF I went back today and brought him home would anybody in the UK like to take him after I have tried my very best to make him well? I don't care how much it costs me anymore. PLEASE HELP. I am in the East Midlands. He is lovely and round and orange. He just needs a lot of attention right now...

I am hoping someone will offer him a home so I can take him and then rehome him later. PLEASE :)

Love to Kokos fish fans.

xxx

How big is your bowl? If I remember right it was about 8-9 gallons? Because as long as there's a filter and you do big weekly water changes, twice weekly would be better, when it's cycled he should be ok in there for a little while though it's not great long term. I'd think carefully before taking him though, your big tank isn't cycled yet (?) and you've got your current fish to deal with. He might not make it anyway, and it would be worse if you've already got attached to him. You'd also be giving money to the store despite them not taking care of the fish, proving they don't need to take care of the fish, someone will take them, though they probably don't care if he dies or not, they get them in bulk really cheap. Think really really really carefully about this, he might live 6-8 years and you're already overstocked. If you were going to get him I'd consider looking at getting a 40 gallon minimum (not necessarily right this second but soon) and putting Klaus and Sgt in that or a pond or something, and putting Pumpkin and the pearlscale in your current 20 gallon, your fantail might not be able to keep up with the commons forever though that is hit and miss. You'd need a 50 gallon minimum to keep the three together and a 60 if you added the pearlscale, but the pearlscale is never going to be able to compete with the commons so I wouldn't add it to the other three.

Good luck :) Think it through very very carefully though :)

How big is your bowl? If I remember right it was about 8-9 gallons? Because as long as there's a filter and you do big weekly water changes, twice weekly would be better, when it's cycled he should be ok in there for a little while though it's not great long term. I'd think carefully before taking him though, your big tank isn't cycled yet (?) and you've got your current fish to deal with. He might not make it anyway, and it would be worse if you've already got attached to him. You'd also be giving money to the store despite them not taking care of the fish, proving they don't need to take care of the fish, someone will take them, though they probably don't care if he dies or not, they get them in bulk really cheap. Think really really really carefully about this, he might live 6-8 years and you're already overstocked. If you were going to get him I'd consider looking at getting a 40 gallon minimum (not necessarily right this second but soon) and putting Klaus and Sgt in that or a pond or something, and putting Pumpkin and the pearlscale in your current 20 gallon, your fantail might not be able to keep up with the commons forever though that is hit and miss. You'd need a 50 gallon minimum to keep the three together and a 60 if you added the pearlscale, but the pearlscale is never going to be able to compete with the commons so I wouldn't add it to the other three.

Good luck :) Think it through very very carefully though :)

I have thought about it for over a week now. I have got a bigger container than the bowl now (yay!) a big yellow box! So that's a good size for him on his own. I have also just got my bursary so I have a bit of extra money to throw at him.

I have also decided that when the two singletails get bigger they will most likely get to live in my Uncle's pond with his other fish (very successful pond!), so that's OK regarding their growing.

I have also just been in a chat with my boyfriend. Once the fish is well he says he will probably take it from me, or if anyone here wants him then I'd love to give him to someone experienced!

So I think I'm going to get him later. Thanks :) xxx

The problem with the storage box, at least while he's recovering, is you can't see him as easily especially if the filter agitates the surface. You need to be able to see how the fins are healing, if there's any fungus, flicking, ich etc, so at least while he's healing I would use the bowl and daily 70% water changes just for observation, I can hardly see my fish from the top view of my tank, there's just too much surface agitation. I keep Rusty in a 5 gallon with 3x weekly 50% water changes and a cycled filter if he's sick, Mariko fortunately has not yet been a problem as she's far too big for the 5 gallon, for QTing her I used a transparent green storage box so I could still see her, and she went in a clear 2 gallon when I was doing water changes so I could check her over there. The box will be ok after he's recovered, though if your boyfriend takes him then he'd probably want a tank, just make sure he gets a 10 gallon tank! 15 would be better obviously bigger than that again if he wants two :)

The idea of checking him over in a clear bowl is a good idea Sarah thanks for the idea. I have a baking bowl I can put him in when I check him over and do water changes! The box is a good size and the filter will be the right size for it for now. I have him here now and he's just in a bag getting used to the water temps. He's so lovely and round, it's his fins and floatiness that will be a problem. I'll add a pic soon xxx