Restaurant Tanks

onefish3

Hi, I am not a saltwater keeper, just goldfish, so I'm not sure of what kind of behaviors differences there would be between say, a puffer fish and an Oranda, BUT lately I've been noticing a the few restaurant tanks I see have puffers in them that are bottom-sitting, or swimming with their tails constantly curled...

And yesterday I was at a hibachi place that had a bottom-sitting puffer and a Lionfish that's fins were clamped and was gulping at the surface every so often.

Am I wrong in thinking these behaviors indicate sick fish?

Has anybody else noticed the trend of an expensive display tank with unhealthy fish?

I always thought no one would want to waste the money on that kind of investment in their business to just let them sicken and die.

There are a couple of restaurants around me that have large tanks that are often in HORRIBLE condition. I don't know if they all pay the same company to keep them up, or if it's the owners of the establishments. One in particular always has the worst mixes of fish I've ever seen, and the water is inches below the top, making me think it hasn't been cleaned in a long time :(

I went to get some chinese yesterday and the chinese place is right next to the petdumb and i guess the owner decided to buy some goldfish. It was like a 8-10 gal tank in the resturant filled halfway with about 6 or 7 goldies in it. :( they were all alive but one had a SBD and they rest looked relatively unhappy. both single and fancies too. ughh!

The lionfish should not be gulping at the surface a lot. That is very unusual for a lionfish actually. You have observed symptoms of health issues. I've kept SW before for a short period (but not any puffers) however I can tell you that the fish you saw are obviously sick. A healthy fish does not bottomsit all the time (unless it is nocturnal by nature) nor gasp at the surface constantly.