Their Not So Brightest Moments....

Sushi13

We all love our goldies...but sometimes they have their not so brightest moments....

Sooo...it's time to share your goldies not so brightest moments!

Chopstix....

Very new to me BUT I noticed its one trait when it comes to feeding time. I put in the food/sinking pellets...and of course Chopstix rather swim around and play then go eat! It takes him/her 5 minutes to realize there is food on the ground! :rofl

Some of the food has already been sucked up from the filter...so this is Chopstix NOT so brightest moments. Other goldfish know when it's time to eat!

Sushii....

Has been with me for a while....I have a list:

1. Gets in the way when I clean the tank...likes to hang around when I am sucking up gravel or waste! I fear catching his eye!

2. Tries to wedge himself under a BIG rock and so I have to block it off with plants and stones.

3. Hold the food in your finger....let me put it before his face and it takes him time to realize that I have something.

4. Sleeping under his plant all day and then when I shut off the lights for bedtime he thinks it's to wake up and have fun and starts smacking under the filter at 2 a.m. when I AM trying to sleep!

LIST your goldies NOT so brightest moments.... :happydance

Edited by Sushi13

Well the only one I can think of his Pugly. I know moors don't see well, but he has a knack for turning around just as a pellet is about to drop right in front of his face. And he doesn't listen when I say "dude, turn around again!" :rofl He ends up eating most of his food off the bottom due to bad timing!

Well the only one I can think of his Pugly. I know moors don't see well, but he has a knack for turning around just as a pellet is about to drop right in front of his face. And he doesn't listen when I say "dude, turn around again!" :rofl He ends up eating most of his food off the bottom due to bad timing!

LOL! You don't know how many times I have said that to Sushii..."IT's right there!" And he goes the other way. :D

And I love that name, Pugly!

I have a large red and white Ryukin (sorry, very few goldfish get names around here. Not that we don't love them, its just that there are sooo many of them!)that for the last three years she has managed to injure herself (after winter sets in) so she doesn't have to stay in the pond all winter. This year, I found her caught in the pump intake, it cost her part of her tail, half of her dorsal fin and and half of her pectoral fin, not to mention the sore on her side. Yes, the intake is covered to prevent this sort of thing from happening, but shes big enough to dislodge it and seems to do it on purpose! And she's the only one this happens too!

my pom pom, seems to be the fastest of them all, and is greedy during feeding time.. and has too many pellets than he can hold at once, trying to chew them all.. while my moor seems blind as a bat, and doesn't seem them until its too late. most of your list is also true for mine.. though my tetras do that light thing.. when you turn it off, they are soo active

I used to have a vase in my tank, Caesar fit inside it, Tigger didn't. She went in, managed to turn round and then for some reason couldn't swim out again unless the vase was tipped. I left it in hoping she'd learned her lesson, and it seemed she had, until a few months later when she appeared to be missing. There was a little orange and black stripy face peering forlornly out at me...I took the vase out after that, it could have happened when I went away for a weekend and that wouldn't have been good.

I had a worse incident with a different vase before that. I used to have one of those glass vases that are wide at the bottom, then narrow, then have a bowl on the top for a bulb like a hyacinth. I had a plant standing in it and some glass pebbles in the bottom. There was only a small space between the plant and the vase rim but Caesar managed to get in (she was smaller then) while I was out, she couldn't turn round or anything, she was well and truly stuck. That vase did not go in the tank again, she was so lucky I was away for only about 2 hours instead of the weekend as I frequently was, I probably would have come back to a dead fish with the waste in such a tiny space and the stress. I don't keep vases in my tanks anymore, if I did it would not be ones with narrow necks at all, goldfish bowls only!

1. Black oranda, Summers trying to get into the siphon.

2. Black oranda, Chingling smashing my pots and spilling gravel all over while literally beating the plants to a pulp to find foods underneath. Good heavens! I wanted to scream in frustration after trying in vain to keep my plants alive in my goldfish tanks.

Patrick splashes all night, it drives my mom nuts as he's near where she sleeps. He also tends to pick up gravel and spit it out against the side of the glass when he wants attention :lol1 I'll go for a drink at night and hear him doing it.

He also likes to hurt himself, being it swimming so fast he loses control into the gravel and rubs off some scales, or ripping his tailfin on god knows what. He's so naughty.

He also likes to dig up his fake plants so they fall over.

Edited by Pezzers

I forgot this but I'm not sure I consider this as a not-so-bright moment. More like intelligent moment. Chingling splashes water in protest when I don't feed them yet.rofl3.gif

Oh...I did forget one.

When I was cleaning Sushii's tank a while back and he splashed and his water got in my mouth! All I remember was spitting and rinsing and brushing my teeth! LOL!

Since Bandit got sick he is in the qt tank right besides my bed. He spends all night making noisy bubbles at the surface of the water right against the glass. :blink: I think he does it for attention because he will stop if I go up to the tank but he starts up again as soon as I go back to bed.

Leilani I donno HOW she does it must be something steve taught her but she bumps into the filter in a way that makes it like stop and start again so it makes HORRIBLE noises and i freak out jump outta bed to check her and shes swimming right at the glass like...wasnt me or shes way on the other side of the tank doing her hourly

" volcano inspection "

I don't know if any of you guys have noticed this with your orandas but they are "special" at feeding time. Indica especially...there will be a big chunk of food right in front of his face and he will STILL miss it! I've noticed that all of my orandas are a little "special" like indica but none of them are quite as bad as he is...I've seen a piece of food roll from the top of his head..down the FRONT of his face and he still missed the thing lol! For the past couple of weeks he has decided that he is a "hand fed only" fish...as soon as i walk to the tank with the food plate he darts to the top and puts his whole face and mouth out of the water and waits for me to put a piece in there for him...dork. He always gets the first bite of food and then he will go down and get some off of the floor but as soon as someone competes with him he just comes back up with his giant mouth and begs for a piece....he's my dog fish!

Poseidon: as soon as she knows there is gonna be food in the tank she just starts scanning the bottom like a pleco..she never swims up to get any she just scans that bottom like a crazy woman...it's funny...not sure why she does that but it's comical to watch~!

Skittles the willow would spend all day at the heater....biting it, starting at it.....odd little dude. He still attacks the one in the 135 gallon tank...just watched him do it today when I was over at the brother's house.

George always gets himself stuck, even in places he could probably get out of. It's like he gets there and then just goes limp :P

Just tonight I was redecorating the tank a little and when I looked he was upside down on the bottom, "stuck" between a plant and the glass. Even when I moved the plant he didn't move, I had to physically turn him over with my hand. He's such a "special" boy

two of my fish get " stuck" between the filter and the glass every morning they take turns at it to so i ALWAYS know who will be stuck that day and they wont move if i poke them i have to move the whole filter ....girls we have slooooooow fish

Well...Chopstix has a new "not so brightest moment"

I fed him/her this morning some pellet food and because she/he is so small, it began eating it right beside the filter.

She/he spit out the piece and when she tried to suck it back in...the filter sucked it up! LOL!

She/he seemed dazed for a brief moment wondering where it went.

#1 Rule when it comes to goldfish...never eat around the filter....it just might eat your food. :D

I think my "least bright moment" is one that has just started recently happening....

Chimera (female) swims around with her nose under Phoenix's (male) peduncle.

:idont

They have gender issues....

well my goldfish dont have any blonde moments really... but my balloon molly does. I have a Balloon molly that i use to help cycle new tanks. When she isnt doing her "job" she resides with the goldfish and lives quite happily lol. but she is a tropical fish so she is supposed to eat tropical food, but this little girl thinks that she is a goldfish and no one can tell her any different. She flat out refuses the tropical food and will only eat the goldfish food. It can be pellets, peas, bloodworms, she doesnt care. As long as they are eating it lol. And its funny because she is sooo tiny but they just kinda let her hang out with them. Weirdest Molly ever = Delilah lol

Oh I have a good one... My ranchu Chubber somehow managed to jam one of her pectoral fins up under her gill plate. I had to carefully pull it out and it was one of the most terrifying things that I've had to do.

Whenever I pass the tank and rattle the food container in front of the tank, they'll both wiggle frantically up to the top! They know they're getting food, and I handfeed them so the food is in my hand... However, when it's in the water, they just seem to go "backwards" when I put the food closer to them! It's so weird, like they're playing or something. I'm just thinking "come onn! it's not that hard to get!"

Haha I love them though :3