Good Flake Food?

Sushi13

I want to buy really good flake food that is NOT going to change my blackmoors gold or orange! LOL! The flakes will only be as a treat because Sushii used to float sometime ago when eating flake.

What brand is the best? I used Tetra before in the past.

Right now I am using HBH Goldfish discs and I am thinking of buying HBH Goldfish flakes, does anyone use this brand of flakes?

If it made Sushi floaty before, I would not be feeding that crap to him at all. It might only aggravate his issue even if you intend to feed it to Sushi as a treat. Besides, I associate it as eating potato chips. No nutritional value as light and oxygen exposure can degrade flakes very quickly.

Exactly, Lupin!

I only plan on using flakes as a treat about once a week.

His food schedule is:

Sunday-Peas in the morning/Banana is the evening

Monday- Pellets

Tuesday- Pellets

Wednesday- Pellets

Thursday- Pellets

Friday- Flake

Saturday- Pellets

I am considering buying him Spirulina soft pellets from HBH Goldfish too!

Chopstix is way to young to even fit many of these things in his/her mouth. I always need to crush its pellets.

Edited by Sushi13

There is such thing as good flake food.

It's called Aquadine. Not so much a "flake" as a "flattened pellet".

I love the stuff. You can buy it at higher end pet stores and online.

Daryl introduced me to the stuff and I use it on and off all the time!

Now I beg to differ. rofl3.gif

It has wonderful abilities like making fish constipated and making them float! blink.gif

So you're saying this is "good" flake food?rofl3.gif

Why does Aquadine seem familiar? post-4056-1113060392.gif I must have read an ad before in one of my TFH subscriptions but never tried one yet. Any info, Sarah?

Guest Kelsang

I reccomend getting a lot of cube frozen food.

One little cube lasts me a week or more!

I barely feed my goldies any flakes.

Only Hikari pellets or flakes. :D

Now I beg to differ. rofl3.gif

It has wonderful abilities like making fish constipated and making them float! blink.gif

"So you're saying this is "good" flake food?"

Well it does do "magical" stuff to the fish. So it's gotta be good! :rofl

AquaDine

They often have online specials. I really think this is good quality food. They have different blends for different fish, different stages in life, &c....

It works out to be slightly more expensive than Hikari Brand foods, but it's worth the price. All good foods are.

• 1 month later...

I bought pellet food at first, but goldfish doesn't eat pellets. I tried. He ignores them. and then they just sit in the gravel. So I tried flake and he gobbles it like no tomorrow. I use Nutrafin Max Goldfish Flakes. It advertizes having omega 3 and other vitamins and "advanced yeast extract". Apparently it enhances natural goldfish colors. I don't know. He is growing no problem and his wen is growing as well. He's active and never sick. Altho I will agree on the constipation/bloat thing. But he ignores pees too!!! :glare:

Most fish take a while to adjust to a different food. They don't realize that those little brown balls you are throwing in the tank are food.

Flakes are ok for about the first month they are open. After that, they loose all nutritional content.

Keep trying with the pellets. You can also try soaking them to make them more "smelly" to the fish (they will find them easier), soaking them in garlic juice, or mixing them with frozen foods.

Variety is always good. And I've never met a fish who could resist garlic-y or frozen foods. :)