Sign in to follow this  
austinado16

Comet Has Blood In The Caudal Fin...

Uh.......that was a joke. You know, that'd I'd been weighting the fish down by using large rocks, and it caused their fins to bleed.

Sooo.. how are things now? Everything still going well? Well besides the fact that they like to redecorate? LOL

Got any new pics for us? I am curious to see how that mouth is healing!! I am so happy they all seem to be doing better!!

:)

The Comet is 100%. Mouth looks perfect, so does tail, although there are probably a couple of red veins still in the tail.

Doing daily 11gal water changes and am in the middle of the Praziquental treatment regimine.

Tank hasn't cycled yet, of course, so the Ammonia is running at about .25ppm and the Nitrites at about the same at the end of a 24hr period between changes.

I dialed back the salt a bit to about .25% today and will probably bring it down to .2% with tomorrow's PWC, unless you advice otherwise.

Read something intersting on another site. It talks about how tap water is "supersaturated" with Oxygen because it's pumped through the city's water lines under pressure. So when doing PWC's they advice that of you r total amount being changed, you only do about 5% at a time, with a time period of waiting and then another 5%. That you toss the water....ie, pour it into the tank from as high as you can reach, or preferably that you pour back and forth between 2 buckets a gazillion times in order to release all the supersaturated oxygen. Otherwise, the new PWC suffocates the fish and that results in red veins in the tail, bulging eyes, bulges under the skin that look like tumors and a bunch of other issues. Even going from water with toxic levels of ammonia and/or nitrites/nitrates to instantly clean water can cause a sort of shock and they get problems like the "bends" in a Diver, and actually will bend into a C shape. The other thing this article advocates is the use of no HOB filter, no carbon (saying it goes bad in 2 weeks and then starts releasing toxins), and that all you need in a GF tank is a pond pump, sitting in the middle, and pumping water from the bottom of the tank up to the surface, to make the surface really turbulent. You rubber band a piece of filter or sponge material around the intake for the ($10-$25) pond pump, and that's your filter media. That's it. Not even any Biofilter....saying that the good bugs will just make colonies inside the impeller housing area of the pond pump.

Ever heard any of this before?

Sorry to be giving a bit of a delayed response...

How long did you have salt at 0.3%? Normally you want it at that level for about 2 weeks as a precaution to treat any possible parasites..

I'm SO so happy that the mouth and tail fully recovered! I had a feeling that this would all come under control!! :-)

As for some of the things on the other site..

I do feel I've read something similar about tap water being supersaturated with oxygen, but honestly thats not something I know a whole lot about. I can say that I do large water changes all the time and have never run into any sort of problem... If anyone else has any info that would be great?

As for fish going from toxic water to clean water.. actually yes any drastic change CAN stress fish.. Even when its actually a change for the better... But I don't see this being a problem ever in your case as long as you keep up with the weekly water changes.. I wouldn't worry about it...

And as for the HOB - I disagree completely about not needing any form of filtration!!!! Filtration is absolutely needed, and having an established biological filter is also neccesary unless you want to change out ALL of the water daily and drive urself insane... I don't agree at all that all you need is a pump!!!

Carbon is a preference. It is true that the carbon will become full and then useless after a certain amount of time, and then it begins to release things back into the water.. Personally I only use carbon when I am removing a medication... But others use it. It just needs to be replaced often...

There are so many articles and different opinions, but honestly I think that things in your case have stablized and what ur doing is working and I would continue to do things as u are doing now..

:peeka I just want to pop in here and say that I also want to know about the supersaturation of oxygen in tap water. It's been on my mind worrying me for the past week or so now. If anyone has a definitive proof-based answer, I would love to hear it!

Good topics to discuss!

I too don't agree about Goldfish only needing a pond pump in an aquarium, with a piece of filter sponge rubber banded around the pump. My mouth kinda dropped open when I read that....and then more so when I read about how the inside of the pump's impeller housing is ALL the surface area you need for good bacteria to grow. Seriously, if that were true, any of it, the folks at Rena, Fluval and Eheim have sure been wasting their time all these years.....lol.

I think my tank is starting to cycle...or should I say, the Fluval is.

After reading good comments about using Amquel Pro to control ammonia, nitrites, and chlorine, I stopped doing daily water changes this week, and started adding a dose of Amquel once a day after a water test with my API Master Kit. Prior to today's test, every 24hrs I was getting .25ppm or slightly higher Ammonia and .25ppm of Nitrite, with Nitrates setting at about zero. Today I had near zero Ammonia, no nitrites and the nitrates were up to maybe 10ppm.

To celebrate, I took the filter apart, replaced the 2+ gallons that it holds, and put back the new activated carbon, the Fluval Pre-Filter ceramics, and the Fluval Clear Max granules. It'll be intersting to see how the water checks out in the morning, and then again in the afternoon.

That's awesome!! What a relief it always is when everything is cycled.... AHHHHHHH! :-)

It's not perfect yet, but it's sure a lot better than it was 3 weeks ago! They're off the Prazi and I'm starting to dial the salt back now.

I really appreciate all the time you spent helping me and patiently explaining what you were talking about, and what I needed to be doing!

Ohh you're very welcome!!! I'm just so happy to see everything worked out great and all the fish are healthy and happy!!! It's always so nice to see happy endings! So many times people come on here and unfortunately it's just too late, even when they try really really hard. So when things actually work out, it's just a nice feeling!!!

:panana

Yes, this did turn out nice. They're in a cool new tank, the health and water issues are becoming a distant memory and it's nice to see them all being normal and looking healthy. The little one is growing, and our original Comet (who was the sick one) has not only gotten bigger, but is growing his pectoral fins much bigger.

I had their moon lighting on tonight for a few hours and it was fun to stand in the dark room and watch them coasting around resting.