Sign in to follow this  
austinado16

Comet Has Blood In The Caudal Fin...

Well... obviously this wasn't what I would have suggested, but they ARE your fish so it's your call....Personally I think u could have waited for the Prazi to arrive... It wasn't a case of an emergency in my opinion. I do realize Prazi can be hard to find. So I would order some to have on hand for the future.

I understand what u are saying about the Maracyn. I questioned that myself because of the carbon, which is why I posted for advice from the other Mods. The Mod that responded is really an expert in goldfish.. She's really GOOD! So when she said u must continue, I took that advice without any doubt or question in my mind that she was right..

However, I realize u are new to the board and you have yet to really get to know us! LOLOL So I understand you making ur own call here...

Well... now that u have started the Maracyn 2 you MUST continue with it.. As well as the Lifeguard..

I do agree that your priority right now is keeping the ammonia and nitrite down... Very important... Keep up with the daily water changes and do larger ones if needed...

I am glad to see that the fish are improving!!! :)

I know it can be a PIA when someone comes on the forum looking for help, gets it from experts and then doesn't listen. I'm on several automotive forums in the position of giving advice....so I know what it's like.

The struggle I'm having...above and beyond the learning curve....is that I can get different advice from almost every person I talk to. Aquarium owner says dip, use Maracyn, use activated carbon and denitrifier, use dip sticks for water testing, and chemicals to lower Amonia. Folks on the forums say, never dip, salt only, carbon will suck up the meds, don't use chems to lower amonia or pH, dip sticks are not accurate, and you've got flukes, treat with Prazi and do a lot of water changes, and Maracyn Two is better. Go back to the aquarium store and get told they receive 4,000 gold fish a week, and in 4 years, they've only had flukes twice, and both times they euthenised the entire tank because with their system changing 150gals of water a day, just for the goldfish, there's no way to medicate and they can't afford to risk selling contaminated fish.

So you can imagine that as a newbie, both to the forum and to "real" aquarium keeping, my head is spinning (somewhat). That means I've got to boil down the info and just start making some command decisions.

1) Salt

2) Frequent water changes

3) Test water often and get a better test kit

4) Stop feeding to keep amonia/nitrite/nitrates as low as possible for as long as possible

5) Remove nitrate detox media as it's reversed with the use of salts

6) Remove all chemical filter media because it's sucking up meds

7) Treat with antibiotics to kill potential secondary infection

8) Treat unknown fluke potential with meds

That's the path I'm taking, and I'm still willing to listen and learn. Some things, like the meds, I can't change. Other things....like buying a $33 water test kit today.....I can.

Unfortunately, I may not be able to pop out and find the exact meds or other items that might be recommended. But in leui of that, I've got to make a decision and do the best I can. While some may not like the "Lifeguard" it is carried by all 3 local stores and it is made by/sold by Tetra. So win, loose or draw, at least it's made by a known company in the aquarium world. And heck, I may not even have flukes.

Here's a shot of the caudal fin up close tonight. I tweaked the white balance of the photo so that the blood was easier to see. The tips of the fin are looking much better today and tonight. Don't know if the Comet is getting better, but he's looking better.

Tailresized.jpg

Here's a close up of the lip. The dark blood spot is faded away to just a pinkish area and the lip sort of looks like it's healing in the center. The dead skin is still present, and maybe a bit wider of a perimeter.

mouth-1.jpg

And an updated tank shot. I'm hoping the 18 live plants are helping to offset some of the amonia and nitrites.

FishTank.jpg

I know how you feel, because it's very true that many stores give conflicting advice to the advice given here. HOWEVER, what you need to consider is that the stores do not focus only on goldfish. Many stores focus on tropicals and saltwater fish, and goldfish take the backseat, if they are even present at all. Goldfish tend to be more delicate than most other aquarium fish so a treatment that is fine for tropicals may not be fine at all for goldfish. I think you should trust the advice given to you on this forum- but I also sympathize because I do know it's not easy at first. But there are a lot of people on here who have lots of experience with goldfish specifically and also people who have studied goldfish diseases very extensively. So they know what they're talking about!

It's my opinion that the people on this forum can't help you to the best of their ability if you don't follow their advice exactly. If you incorporate other methods that they advise against, then you are probably just being counterproductive. That's just my two cents. I sincerely hope your fish get better and welcome to the forum! :)

Also no amount of live plants will offset the ammonia being produced by that many fish in that small a space, and you should never stop feeding a sick fish (although someone else will need to confirm both these statements because I'm still learning too).

Just to elaborate a few issues regarding the flukes, it is IMPOSSIBLE to see flukes by naked eyes alone. Only microscopy can ACCURATELY tell you that although observing symptoms displayed and assessing the whole situation to trace where the issue stemmed from still help but not as much as micorscopy does. Unfortunately for us, flukes is very dangerous. You can observe bottom sitting, labored breathing, pale gill filaments, listlessness and flicking. These are signs of flukes but also a few other ectoparasites such as ich.

Due to lack of available equipments needed to determine the potential presence of flukes, we require praziquantel be added when you buy your new goldfish as a PRECAUTION. It has been argued many times whether dosing meds as part of quarantine regimen even though the specimen has not shown issues yet, is quite safe without potential risk of creating resistant strains of parasites. The prazi dosing is done ONLY for quarantine periods or when a fish becomes sick with flukes and/or cestodes (flatworms). Prazi remains the gentlest med and will not kill off your beneficial bacteria nor harm your fish at a greater degree than most meds do.

Even if you do NOT have prazi, you STILL have two other options, fenbendazole OR flubendazole. I cannot vouch for albendazole as I hadn't gotten around to testing it myself. I can tell you however that these options I pointed out are much better than the conspicious ion complex ingredients registered. Just because Tetra has been well recognized as one of the few companies with worldwide trade in the aquarium hobby, it does NOT mean all their products are entirely reliable. I've never exactly trusted the ion complex ingredients. They seem too daft for me to be convinced they're gentle enough to your fish. You want the gentlest yet effective meds. Potentially dangerous meds can compromise your fish's immune system and makes it easier for parasites to kill your fish.

Your command decisions are fine. You need to however exercise caution when selecting a med of your choice. A med can claim to cure all diseases but it also tells me personally that it is an all-around DANGEROUS chemical if it really does the job too well at the expense of your fish.

Were it me, wait for the prazi. You could make a separate thread asking for help from other members you want prazi badly and you pay the expenses incurred. This is what most people desperately looking for particular meds do. You still can pick up Droncit (prazi) or Panacur (fenbendazole I think) from your nearest vets. Both still work for flukes.

Edited by Lupin

I appreciate both of you taking the time to better explain things and I have doubt that the advice I've been given is accurate, and based on a lot of knowledge. You don't have a umpteen thousand posts on a forum and not know what you're talking about!

I will get some Prazi ordered, or call other aquariums in outlaying cities and see if someone within 30 or so miles has it. I understand you can't see flukes ( I tried to do some reading about them last night) but based on the symptoms, I don't think my Comet has them. It's not exhibiting any of the symptoms. It's behavior is very normal other than the infrequent......very infrequent....jerking of the head back and forth. Other than that, you can't tell it apart from the other 2.

Just finished a 12gal water change, putting back the salt and a test before and after with the new API eyedropper test kit. Compared the results with dip sticks at the same time, and they weren't too different. If anything, the dip sticks read just a bit on the high side.

***wrote this b4 ur most recent post just to let u know! :-) ***

Due to lack of available equipments needed to determine the potential presence of flukes, we require praziquantel be added when you buy your new goldfish as a PRECAUTION

Exactly.... No one said ur fish 100% HAD flukes...Right now ur fish aren't even neccessarily behaving as if they have parasites.Its just a POSSIBILITY so we are ruling it out.. BUT we goldfish lovers on this board have learned that PRAZI is an extremely safe treatment.. SO safe that we include it in our Quarentine regimine.... Salt is usually very safe as well.. And since between the TWO salt and prazi you can eliminate MOST external parasites (except certain ones that are CLEARLY visible such as Fish Lice, or Anchor Worm, which u would KNOW if you had) , we recommend u treat ALL fish with them both at some point, and preferably before placing them with other fish..

I do not believe that the store knows that they are talking about when they say they've only had a few batches of fish with flukes... Flukes are VERY prevalent and easily spread... My fish Angel would have died from them without Prazi...

BELIEVE ME I totally understand your situation here.. Who do you listen to? Who is right? Why does everyone have conflicting ideas and information? I get it.. I really do...

I was in your same position exactly when I joined this board.. Store told me one thing. Actually different stores told me different things.. If I could swoop in and swear to you that the people here are speaking from experience and know what they are talking about I would. There are MANY methods, and choices and decisions. But here at kokos we have come to follow a certain set of guidelines and procedure you could say.. And believe me, it works! :-)

Soooo.... make up ur own mind.. but.... but... LISTEN TO US! LMAO LMAO

NO honestly... what I can do is I can show u my original thread. When I joined.. I sounded JUST like u!! And u will see, that I came around.. And now I am a total koko's advocate and addict lol So if u would like, I will link u to it..

Since I've joined kokos I ended up going to work for a pet store and speaking to some of the VERY people that once gave me my information. At the time I thought they knew EVERYTHING.. But.. after learning from members here and growing more and more confident in what they told me, I went back and explained MY way to some of those very people that told me opposite things and they've since admitted "Okay I didn't really know" or "I wasn't aware of that". Or I've showed them articles from here and they've said "Wow that makes sense"... I am real life friends with about 5-6 fish "experts" because of that job. And guess what.. Not a SINGLE one is trained primarily on goldfish.. But these are the same people that were giving me the advice b4 I joined this board. NOW, they call ME for goldfish questions! :-)

Soo there's my speech! lol Like I said, decide for yourself..But I can assure you that the people on this board know a LOT about goldfish, have tons of experience, and most importantly CARE. We aren't getting paid for this ya know? We get NOTHING out of recommending products or ideas out of this.. We just like to help, and we like to see others learn..

Last thing. In the future if you wish to start a med, just let us know first. We can help u choose the right med.. I wrote to you about this earlier in the thread I believe (it may have been someone else's thread though??) how different meds work under different circumstances and its VERY important to choose the right one.. and how SOME medicines dont mix with others, or wont work under different circumstances.. I believe both antibiotics you've started were not the right option and its never a good idea to throw unneccessary meds at these fish..It just weakens them.

Maracyn was not a good choice in this case based on the fact that it is Erythromycin and treats bacteria that are generally responsible for VERY few problems you are going to run into..

Maracyn 2 was not a good choice in this case because it is ineffective at high PH like urs... It is not effective at a PH above 7.6 so it's been pretty much useless.. ALSO.. Maracyn 2 is LIGHT senstive.. You need to cover the tank with darkness when using it...

Again... most people at stores are not aware of these things. And most packages do not explain this information. I learned all of it from a few of the other mods on here, but there are still things I don't know.. So even if you aren't sure who to trust, just ask next time b4 u start a med, so we can at least guide you in a direction that will be most effective..

***Edit***Actually I JUST saw ur recent post where u said this

very infrequent....jerking of the head back and forth
That could be a sign of parasites. Not neccesarily flukes but a possibility.

Oops I thought I was done I have a few more things to add :-)

Prazi.. I wouldnt drive urself crazy driving around looking for it.. Ordering it online should be fine. I don't think this is an emergency when u need it RIGHT THIS SEC. Continue with the salt now, order the prazi, and treat when it comes.. Often when I get new fish I salt for two weeks, then prazi AFTER I've already taken the salt back down. Just because its easier.. It's not URGENT in my opinion in this case.

The mouth does look like its improving to me! :-) Thats good!!!

Feeding.. I missed that part but Sakura's post (GOOD POST BY THE WAY) made me take note.. Don't STOP feeding the fish just to keep ammonia low. But yes you can cut back right now to one small feeding a day if you are worried about ammonia spiking..

Plants. That is NOT my area of expertise at ALL.. Ive never had a planted tank but I don't think its enough to make up for the weekly 50% water changes. Especially with goldfish.. Someone

With regards to the Lifeguard's active ingredient, 1-chloro-2,2,5,5,-tetramethyl-4-imidazolidinone, I remained mystified by this ion complex since it was mentioned. I decided to do an intensive research on this hoping to find out what it exactly is and the possible side effects especially potency towards the beneficial bacteria (whether your tank is cycled or not). 1-chloro-2,2,5,5,-tetramethyl-4-imidazolidinone is in short a haloshield.

Jungle Laboratories company claims the following.

"Lifeguard products contain HaloShield, a revolutionary new non-antibiotic agent that demonstrates effectiveness against a wide range of infectious diseases that can occur in both fresh and saltwater environments?bacterial, fungal, viral and parasitic. Each formulation is safe and effective and can be used as a therapeutic treatment or preventive in aquariums. UPG will introduce the new Instant Ocean and Jungle Lifeguard products in March 2006 at APPMA?s Global Pet Expo in San Diego."

BOTH Tetra and Jungle Lifeguard products contain the same active ingredient, the haloshield so take note there is NO confusion between two products here.

With regards to its claim that it can demonstrate its ability to destroy bacterial and viral infections, I am not convinced this antimicrobial property is totally safe especially in tanks that are fully cycled. Whether your tank is cycled or not, compromising the existence of your beneficial bacteria and immune system of your fish will take much more toll to the fish than was necessary.

There is NO doubt prazi is much safer while haloshield is more dangerous and can impact an already weakened fish. In your case, Austin, this compromise is totally NOT worth it.

Plants. That is NOT my area of expertise at ALL.. Ive never had a planted tank but I don't think its enough to make up for the weekly 50% water changes. Especially with goldfish.. Someone

Fast growing plants can help consume ammonia and nitrate thus putting water quality under control partially HOWEVER this does not replace the need to do water changes. Water changes are still necessary and do not replace anything.

A few things we have to consider here.

Lots of plants grow better where there is light. A lot of antibiotics are light-sensitive as Sue noted. We tend to forget this one. Compromising this for the antibiotics render plants totally useless besides the fact many meds can kill your plants including salt.

I'd say stick to water changes and save your money before buying more plants once you make sure everything is back under control.

Okay, a couple of things.

First.......where's the friggin' edit button on this forum? I made a huge type-o up in my last thread where I was trying to say, "I have no doubt that the information I'm receiving is good" and in a beautiful Freudian slip, I wrote, "I have doubt that the information....is good." Lovely.

Second......folks I've never once said I wasn't going to change the water, or wasn't changing the water, or was hoping the some plants would keep me from having to change the water! So can we stop with the comments about my incorrect thinking that plants are going to keep my from having to change the water, and keep my water safe and/or clean. All I've said from the beginning of this is that I AM changing the water and I AM monitoring the levels all day long and into the night. In fact, I did a 12gal change list night at midnight after testing.

Third.....I appreciate everyone taking the time to explain things. It's the real information, and the real details that help people. I wonder if it wouldn't be worthy to havea a sticky'd thread that gives the details of the Maracyn info....since this is the first time anyone's said they're light sensative and don't work unless you cover the tank. This is part of what makes a newbie a little crazy.

Fourth.....Regarding the Lifeguard. I fully understand that everyone hear loves and uses Prazi. But there's not been an actual fact finding demonstration to show the Lifeguard product IS dangerous or harmful. I'm not trying to dog anyone, I'm just saying that there's no info.

Found the Prazi in another city and will be picking it up today. Ammonia and Nitrites are at .25% so I'm doing a 75% water change w/ gravel vac, and then putting back the salt.

The tail and lip are continuing to improve and all 3 ate the spirulina vegi flakes, algae crips, and 2 cucumber slices this morning...like a group of sharks.

LOL...these local pet stores and aquariums just crack me up;

Just paid $17 for a 4oz bottle of PraziPro. This same store had the Maracyn Two on sale for $13, marked down from $17. The aquarium store here in town is selling the same product (Maracyn 2) for $9 and it's only $7 at vvvv. And these places wonder why they struggle to stay in business. And vvvv had the water test kits for $30 and the aquarium store wanted $48.

So I've got Prazi!

Also, called Virbac, maker of Maracyn and the other Mardel line. They've sold to Sergeant's, so I called Sergeant's and ask them about:

1) Light sensitivity.....according to them, it is not, or they would list it.

2) Is it diminished by PWC's like I've had to be doing.....yes.

3) Affected by high pH (8-8.5 like the water is here)....didn't know and is refering my question to another dept. who will call me back in the next day or so.

They suggested Maracyn Plus, which adhears to the fishes skin and then transmits in a time release fashion, into the tissue, and it's okay to be using with Maracyn Two.

I'm starting to think that a fed antibiotic would be a better option since all 3 are big eaters (they eat the Maracyn 2 if there are any clumps falling into the water...so that's kinda good).

Anyway, unless you good folks advise differently, I'm going to stop using the Lifeguard and start using the PraziPro.

Just called Hikari up in Hayward, CA (just north of me) and they said don't use the Prazi until I'm done with the Maracyn(2 more days).

Edited by austinado16

Austin, regarding the argument about Lifeguard's Haloshield, my point is you have to exercise caution of the meds you used. Sure there is no abstract as of now that could demonstrate the possible side effects of haloshield however like most meds, haloshield is quite broad spectrum in its ability to even destroy viral infections as claimed. Is that not enough to tell you this COULD be potentially dangerous to your beneficial bacteria and even to an already weak fish (assuming we have one; not at this point but there is no point either risking a healthy fish to go downhill due to possible potency)?

Just adding here a food for thought.:)

Second......folks I've never once said I wasn't going to change the water, or wasn't changing the water, or was hoping the some plants would keep me from having to change the water! So can we stop with the comments about my incorrect thinking that plants are going to keep my from having to change the water, and keep my water safe and/or clean. All I've said from the beginning of this is that I AM changing the water and I AM monitoring the levels all day long and into the night. In fact, I did a 12gal change list night at midnight after testing.

Lemme find an icon that is cutesy and non offensive at all...

.:peeka

Noooo, I don't think anyone thought u were def trying to stop the water changes.. We were just making sure that's all... Just being cautious.. I've seen people on this board take things out of context so much, that we were just making SURE u knew that... Sorry if it came accross as preachy or like we assumed something.. I don't think anyone here meant it that way.. I sure didn't...

:)

First.......where's the friggin' edit button on this forum? I made a huge type-o up in my last thread where I was trying to say, "I have no doubt that the information I'm receiving is good" and in a beautiful Freudian slip, I wrote, "I have doubt that the information....is good." Lovely.

Don't worry I caught that and knew what u meant! LOLOLOL And the edit button should be there at the bottom of each post?

It's the real information, and the real details that help people. I wonder if it wouldn't be worthy to havea a sticky'd thread that gives the details of the Maracyn info....since this is the first time anyone's said they're light sensative and don't work unless you cover the tank. This is part of what makes a newbie a little crazy.

Actually it is a good idea and we have a thread we are currently working on and updating and it does include the tips on Maracyn 2 being light sensitive. It is pinned in the diagnosis and discussion section.

http://www.kokosgold..._1entry859779

Fourth.....Regarding the Lifeguard. I fully understand that everyone hear loves and uses Prazi. But there's not been an actual fact finding demonstration to show the Lifeguard product IS dangerous or harmful. I'm not trying to dog anyone, I'm just saying that there's no info.

Totally understand.. I'm not saying its not safe or anything. Just that prazi is preferred because we KNOW its safe and doesn't damange a cycle..

I don't think YOU are trying to dog us and I don't think we are trying to dog you.. lolol I think we're all just trying to exchange information and sometimes in a forum setting it comes accross a little bit more forceful or even "know-it-all" like when it's not intended that way... It gets hard communicating this way.. you can't see a persons face.. or hear the tone..

So I think we're all good..:pp

Found the Prazi in another city and will be picking it up today. Ammonia and Nitrites are at .25% so I'm doing a 75% water change w/ gravel vac, and then putting back the salt.

The tail and lip are continuing to improve and all 3 ate the spirulina vegi flakes, algae crips, and 2 cucumber slices this morning...like a group of sharks

Both good! Excellent! :-)

So I've got Prazi!
Anyway, unless you good folks advise differently, I'm going to stop using the Lifeguard and start using the PraziPro.
Just called Hikari up in Hayward, CA (just north of me) and they said don't use the Prazi until I'm done with the Maracyn(2 more days).

YAYAYAYAY! lololol PRAZI! woo hooo! lol Yes I would stop the lifeguard and use the prazi instead...And yes I see no reason why you can't wait until the Maracyn 2 is done.. That's totally fine in my opinion..

1) Light sensitivity.....according to them, it is not, or they would list it.

2) Is it diminished by PWC's like I've had to be doing.....yes.

3) Affected by high pH (8-8.5 like the water is here)....didn't know and is refering my question to another dept. who will call me back in the next day or so.

That is VERY interesting that they did not know about the light or PH...Those are two pretty well known facts on this forum regarding the Maracyn 2.... Sometimes I wonder though, how trained the people answering the phones are? And as for the pwc, thats kinda like I said, it depends on the med. Obviously Maracyn 2 is one that u must replace the meds being taken out..

They suggested Maracyn Plus, which adhears to the fishes skin and then transmits in a time release fashion, into the tissue, and it's okay to be using with Maracyn Two.

I'm starting to think that a fed antibiotic would be a better option since all 3 are big eaters (they eat the Maracyn 2 if there are any clumps falling into the water...so that's kinda good).

Again, just MY opinion.. but I would not start ANY new meds here.. I REALLY don't think they are needed!! I truly believe the red streaks are due to a cycling tank and high ammonia/nitrite. Sometimes it takes a month or so of good water b4 they will diminish but I REALLY think that with water changes/good water quality those will go away...

I believe that the salt will help with the mouth sore, and already has begun too...

The fish have already had (again, in my humble opinion) 3 meds they did not need. The Maracyn, the Maracyn 2 and the Lifeguard.. So I would not start either Maracyn Plus OR Medicated Food...

Honestly, I don't think there is anything going on here that clean water/salt won't fix and if there is, I still think its smart to wait b4 starting any new meds since they have just had 3 in such quick succession...

IF things with the mouth get worse... I agree that I would prob lean to a medicated food at this point. BUT, generally antibiotics including medicated foods are reserved for when the fish shows SEVERE signs of stress. Such as bottom sitting, refusing to eat, clamped fins.. Your fish are showing NONE of these signs, which means that they are COPING by themselves and that their immune systems are strong... This is why I feel you should not start any new meds unless something changes dramatically for the worse...

The edit button disappears 10-15 minutes prior to posts being submitted for regular members. Only moderators and helpers have unlimited time to edit any post.

Ooooh thats right!! I used to always run into that problem!!! lol Hehe glad I am a mod now! :-)

LOL! And some mods tend to forget the limitations, we regular members, have.;)

Well that just doesn't make any sense? What's wrong with being able to edit something a few hours or days after you wrote it? I've never seen that limitation on a forum before.

Hey, anyone live near, or have friends near Wilkes Barre, PA? I've found the fish tank of my dreams there, but it's local pickup only!!

Austin, the time limit is understood. There are people who want to edit previous discussions thus obliterating the actual post flow especially in heated discussions where people eventually edit afterwards to change the whole flow. This leads confusion to readers who could have otherwise benefited from what was discussed. It is already employed in a few more forums I am a member of.

Edited by Lupin

Countrylovah I just went back to page 2 and saw your loooooong post. Thanks for all the details.

Yes, I'm not going to be doing any further medicines. I'm just going to finish up the 2 more days of Maracyn Two, then do a PWC as they suggest. Then I'll do the Prazi.

I'll continue with the salt though. For how long? Like until the mouth is healed back to normal?

I appreciate you taking the time to explain things and talk me in off the ledge!

This Comet has been an incredibly tough fish. That's why I'm putting so much effort and money into saving him. It's been my concern that he was not going to survive this, that's made me quick to get him on meds and whatever else it might take. I been of the mindset of, "I'm not going to start treating him once he's laying on his side on the bottom barely breathing." I've been in the mode of "hit it early and hit it hard."

Lupin, thanks also for all of your information and patience. A lesser person would have just said, "Good luck man" and written me off.

Oh, and my name is Todd. The Austin ADO-16 is the factory code name for a vintage British car that I'm heavily into www.austinamericausa.com It's what I'm most known for, "online."

Hey, anyone live near, or have friends near Wilkes Barre, PA? I've found the fish tank of my dreams there, but it's local pickup only!!

LOL Actually I'm probably about 4 hours from there. SO if it were MY dream fish I could probably make the trip... LOL But it's a little far for someone else, and more importantly (and I might sound crazy) given recent problems with MY fish I have a strict policy now of not handling ANY fish besides my own in any way, or using any of my equipment on any other other fish... I've had too many problems that I am trying to straighten out and I just won't risk it.. I won't even get a NEW fish for myself at this point.. I saw this one fish that was basically MY dream fish for sale at a store that is part of the"chain" that I worked for. (Not really a "chain" because there are only like 8 stores in my area but u get what I mean) Anyway... I saw this fish and I could have had it for FREE if I wanted.. But I passed on it because I don't want to expose my current fish to ANYTHING new right now lol So long story short, I can't help u with that fish in WilkesBarre lol

Yes, I'm not going to be doing any further medicines. I'm just going to finish up the 2 more days of Maracyn Two, then do a PWC as they suggest. Then I'll do the Prazi.

I'll continue with the salt though. For how long? Like until the mouth is healed back to normal?

I appreciate you taking the time to explain things and talk me in off the ledge!

Excellent plan!!! :-)

Typically u will want to leave the salt at 0.3% for two weeks. That is normally the right time to ensure that any possible parasites have been killed. At that point you can gradually reduce it. And if you still feel you want some salt in there for a bit longer I would suggest taking it down to 0.1% at that point.

I think the mouth already looks like it has some signs of healing..Keep updating us with new pics! :-) Then we can better judge how long the salt should stay.

And no problem! I'm always around to try to pull people back from the ledge b4 they jump! :rofl

This Comet has been an incredibly tough fish. That's why I'm putting so much effort and money into saving him. It's been my concern that he was not going to survive this, that's made me quick to get him on meds and whatever else it might take. I been of the mindset of, "I'm not going to start treating him once he's laying on his side on the bottom barely breathing." I've been in the mode of "hit it early and hit it hard."

I can see where you are coming from.. I know the fear of "what if it gets worse too fast" And its hard because I'm not actually THERE To see your fish. I can only judge from pictures, and things u have listed.. But I do believe in my heart based on the things I have seen and info u have provided that your fish is not suffering anything right now that is too urgent.. Of course that could change! You know, I can't PROMISE that lolol But it APPEARS to be a relatively non threatening issue... Let's keep our fingers crossed!!!!

Eh-hem...that was "fish tank," not fish. :fishtank: And for the record, I won't be adding any more fish, ever.

But 4hrs 1 way is too far. Thanks though.

Time for another photo update. Sorry for the poor quality, it was wound up tighter than bark on a tree, and it was hard to get a decent shot.

Lip:

Lip-1.jpg

Tail:

Tail.jpg

Of course no health care treatment would be complete without some physical therapy. Here he is on the treadmill (aka; swimming head first into the blast from the 340gph outlet nozzle of the Fluval 405)

Treadmill.jpg

What can I say, we're all about the total wellness of the fish!