Oh No!

Sakura

I'm so glad you checked in Trinket! I didn't know that about the zeolite, I actually had it inside the HOT magnum filter. Is that a bad place for it? I just now took it out from there, bagged it up, and placed it on top of the bubble wand. Is that better do you think? I hope so!

I forced in the time today to do two 100% water changes in her tank, and I think that helped a little, but still not enough. Today she wouldn't touch her food, but yesterday she ate some. :( I only have three tanks, and one is a betta who's never been treated for parasites or anything, plus his tank is relatively new. The other is Mowgli's 10 gallon QT tank... I just checked and Mowgli's tank is now cycled! That really snuck up on me, just a week ago it still wasn't fully there. The only thing is, I don't know if it would be safe to put some of his filter media in her tank because of all the stuff he has just recently recovered from. Is there a chance that there are still some nasties in his filter that could infect her? He is back to normal now, I just wonder what could be lurking in his tank. Any thoughts?

Edit: Oh, two more things! When will it be safe to put the two fish (Mowgli and the white tele) in the same tank together? Do you think that her case of dropsy was simply water quality related and she didn't actually have any infection?

Edited by Sakura

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes its possible. Dropsy is a symptom only -a rather serious one- and means the fish is bloated inside for some reason. that reason can be blood poisoning (caused by ammonia) or it can be infection...or parasites or worms or any number of things that put pressure on the internal organs.

The gill damage I can see in your short video looks very like ammonia burn to me. The gills suffer first and they get darkened. After the gills have been damaged, the fish has problems eliminating toxins...so they build up inside the body. A foamy liquid. Epsom should help, a very small amount as its strong and powerful as a diuretic for fish.

Original gilldamage could have started in the shipping bag. The longer it takes to ship a fish the more likely this is.

How big is her QT cycle? It is much easier to control ammonia tweaks in a large volume of water. Any toxins are diluted and water changes can be less frequent because of that fact.

I would stay the course focusing on NO meds at all except the pinch of epsom and the daily w/cs. I would do 2 80% wcs daily morning and night and do them slowly so she is not disturbed and is covered by water at all times. Dont use a net or remove her...try to minimise all stressors. Cover half the tank with a towel or board so she has shade as she needs to be calmed.

I think if you cannot control the ammonia with the zeolite I would put her in with Mowgli.Hopefully though, the zeolite should now work. Remember it is only good for a few weeks then loses its power...and releases back ammonia..

Okay, I just added a small amount of epsom salt. 1/4 teaspoon per 10 gallons to be exact. I do see a few scales that are still very slightly raised and I had to really resist the urge to go out and buy more MetroPlus! But I do think you are right, that what she needs now is just clean, toxin-free water. Thank you for all the information and help! Her tank is a 29 gallon tank, so probably holds about 24 gallons or so. And with just one medium/small fish and all that space the ammonia gets to .5 or higher every day! It's crazy, I had no idea it would be like this.

Probably if the zeolite doesn't work even still I'd just move Mowgli into her tank along with his cycled filter, since his tank is only 10 gallons. I'm so glad he is doing better, by the way. :) He's back to his old self, but I think he misses his friends and gets bored.

I am in shock. I just checked on her and she is dead. :cry1

wow... :( I don't even know what to say. I just can't believe it, I was actually starting to think she would get better. This sucks guys. :cry1

Oh :cry1

So sorry to hear this. Sadly I have also known fish to have a final surge of good spirits right before they die.

Im so very sorry Sakura.

I would focus on Mowgli and getting your cycle there really, really strong and well established now. Mowgli needs you.:heart

Thank you Trinket. :( This is really a bummer.

Can I put Mowgli right into her old tank or should I disinfect everything she used first? I just ask because to me the issue seemed more water quality related than bacterial or parasitic, but I really can't say for sure.