Oh No!

Sakura

Thank you! Here's some current pictures of her. Please, if anyone has further advice, I'd really appreciate it. There's some really angry looking red streaks and one red blotch in her tail. The edges of her fins are torn. And, well, you can see the dropsy and some slight bloat :( She sits on the bottom all the time, but dorsal is usually up.

IMG_4410.jpg

IMG_4406.jpg

IMG_4408.jpg

IMG_4409.jpg

IMG_4411.jpg

Edited by Sakura

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I am so sorry! Such a pretty fish!!! I am so not experienced with diseases, but very bummed for you.....feel bad....I hope she gets better...dang. :heart:cry1

Edited by CO_Goldies

I actually just used MetroPlus by Hikari. It's a powder that you dissolve into the tank. I also added epsom salt at 1/4 teaspoon per 10 gallons. Parameters that I listed above were from earlier today, about 4 hours ago and that was before a water change. I just did a 100% water change four hours ago and haven't fed her or anything, so everything should be zero.

Well I think she will still eat, but I can't get metro meds around here, and metro plus is basically the same thing. It has the same main ingredient, Metrodinazole the antibiotic. It really helped my other fish when he dropsied and looked like he was on the way out. So I hope this will be good enough?

Edit: I could order metro meds from goldfish connection, but I highly doubt it would be here in time. And now that I've already started the metro plus I think I have to continue it since it's an antibiotic. :(

Edited by Sakura

Metro Plus can be mixed with food or used in the water. I'm really sorry guys... but I'm really overwhelmed with life at the moment, and I don't even know the first thing about making gel foods, plus I just don't have the time unfortunately. :(:(

But like I said the Metro Plus in the water really helped my other fish recover. So it could work, right? :idont Hopefully? Maybe? :wall

It can. Amy and I just suggested it works better if ingested because the issue is internal which is exactly why we use metro.

It's not difficult to make gel foods. It takes only 20 minutes of your time.

Give this a shot.

Ingredients

3-6 4-oz jars of baby food (any brand and flavor as long as appropriate; I use Gerber)

2-3 calcium pills (optional; I use Caltrate)

2-3 sachets of unflavored gelatin (Knox is best.)

1 can of sardines/mackerel/tuna (90 grams I believe)

1 acidophilus tablet (optional; recommended for fancy goldfish who may have buoyancy issues)

1 multivitamins (no iron added or preferably one with at least 18mg)

Metronidazole (250mg per 25g of foods)

Equipments

Microwave oven

Mortar and pestle or blender

Microwave container or bowl

1 tablespoon

1 fork

Cookie pans

A roll of wax paper

Instructions

1. Pound tablets first and then mix with baby foods. Keep acidophilus and metro aside for now.

2. Wash the fish (sardines/mackerel/tuna) to remove the tomato sauce/oil (if any) completely.

3. Mix no. 1 and no. 2 together.

4. Pour no. 3 into a microwaveable container and set microwave at medium and keep it on for a minute or two.

5. Open the oven and get the bowl out of it.

6. Pour the thick into cookie pans wrapped in wax paper or dishes, and make sure you get 1/4 inch thick of mix. If the mix seems to settle separately, stir it again with a tablespoon or fork and reheat while adding another sachet of Knox gelatin.

9. Once done, wait until it cools down a bit but not firm yet.

10. Mix acidophilus and metro.

11. Refrigerate.

Wait for a few hours until the gel food thickens. Make sure beforehand the mixture is thick, not too runny. If it is runny, you are adding too much water and very little gelatin powder, in this case add more gelatin, spread it around on the thick and stir. Pour a little boiling water or rather place it in a microwave oven again and wait for another minute.

Lupin if all that only takes you 20 mins. then I admire your efficiency! :D Between the shopping for ingredients, trying to make sense of the directions in my head, trial and error because I've never done it before, and so on..., that would take me a good few hours at least!

I'm sorry I'm just not up for it at this time. Maybe someday I will make gel foods, but my life is just too crazy right now. School is kicking my but big time. So I guess we'll just have to really hope that the metro in the water works. :(

Update: I checked on her this morning and already she looks a little better! Her scales are still sticking out a little, but not nearly as much as they were yesterday! I love metro, seriously! Let's hope she continues to improve. :heart She's still sitting on the bottom and looking quite miserable, but at least the dropsy has started to go down.

I'm glad to hear there is some improvment. Just out of curiousity. Lupin, could you soak some brine or bloodworms in the MetroPlus and then feed that? Or feed it mixed with a syringe?

This is a RainGarden baby, right? Have you called Steve? I would keep him posted just so he knows...he has great customer service from what I hear.

Sorry I haven't responded sooner Amy. Yes, this fish is from Rain Garden, and I did call Steve to ask for advice a few days ago. He suggested I add salt (NaCl) but that was before the dropsy happened. I should email him pretty soon here though with an update, because he did want me to do that.

Today she is not better. I just did a temp matched water change, and now she is laying on her side breathing very heavily; she looks really bad. She keeps gasping a lot as if she has flukes or something, and her scales are still quite raised. I'm at a loss. :( The ammonia before the change was up to .5! :o But I don't get how it could be, because I have two medium-sized packets of zeolite in the filter, plus I'm doing daily 100% water changes, and not feeding her much! It really seems like the zeolite is doing absolutely nothing. Just to be clear, it's only NaCl that makes the zeolite release the ammonia, right, not epsom salt? Because I do have a small amount of epsom in there. No... I just realized that couldn't be the problem, because even before I had epsom salt in the zeolite wasn't working. Sooo frustrating! Especially after she seemed to show improvement! Now this! Dang.

Yesterday I added a conservative dose of PraziPro because I really thought she still had a fluke infestation because of all the gasping, but maybe the combination of meds along with the high ammonia was too much. I thought it would be okay because I checked Trinket's list of contraindications. :( Poor girl.

Sorry for the double post but I just checked ammonia and thought I should add that, it was at .5 before the water change. It's currently zero because I just did the water change. Nitrites and nitrates are both zero. The ammonia is high, but I don't know what else to do to keep it low. I do daily 100% water changes and there is a whole bunch of zeolite in the filter. I really wish I could do twice daily changes, but time just won't allow for that.

There's a piece of what looks like slime coat (but not too sure) trailing from out of one of her gills. The pineconing is looking better than it did yesterday- almost no pineconing today.

Edited by Sakura

My gosh...the poor baby! You should definately send this video to Steve. Her color even looks different. I wish I had an answer for you, but she looks to be in pretty bad shape. I know you want the metro to help her, but I'm wondering if she should get a day of just clean fresh water and see if that helps?

Okay I guess nobody really knows what's wrong with her it seems like. I obviously really hope that she'll make it, but if I'm honest it looks like she may not make it through the night. :( She keeps tilting more on her side as the night goes on, and from my experience that's usually a really bad sign. So strange and sad.

She is still alive this morning!!! I was so sure she'd be gone. Phew. But it's still too early to celebrate yet. She's still sitting on the bottom breathing heavy, but she is not tilting to the side at the moment. No pineconing this morning either.

Do you still think I should try just plain clean water for a day or two? She's been on it for five days now.

Well I decided to stop the MetroPlus today. First of all I ran out! But I also dug the bottle out of the trash and saw that it says to use it for 5 to 7 days, and it had been a full 5 days anyways. So now she just has fresh med-free water. I'm so scared the dropsy is going to come back, keep your fingers crossed! I keep looking at her so closely and getting paranoid that the scales are sticking out a little, but I don't think they actually are. She's not tilting to the side as much today, but is still breathing very heavily and bottom sitting. She seemed to make a little more of an effort to get her food today- still not great, but better at least. Maybe there's some hope after all? I guess time will tell.

Meds decrease the amount of oxygen in the water right? I'm wondering if that's why she's been breathing so heavily. I noticed there's been much fewer bubbles sticking to everything after a water change. But the meds are out now and she's still breathing heavy. Hmmm :hmm

Thanks for continuing to check in Amy, I appreciate it :)

Im sorry Sakura :(. She looks so bad.. really as Amy says you just need plain fresh cycled water here. Are none of your tanks cycled? I f you had a cycled tank you could maybe take some media and get her some time out from the ammonia.

Zeolite has to be activated by oxygen, it has to have running bubbling water over it or it doesnt seem to work. Where do you have that placed? You were right about not using the reg salt with it, the epsom should be okay though.

Is she eating?