Oh No!

Sakura

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sakura I'm so so so sorry, it sounds like you're going through he77 at the moment and not just with your fish. I really really hope Mowgli pulls through for you, you've lost too many already. Try to keep your head up and focus on him and the RG fish. Best of luck, I'll be thinking of you :hug:cry1

Okay, sorry this took so long, it's not been a good day to say the least!

ammonia: 0

nitrites: 0

nitrates: should be between 0 and 5 with daily full water changes and none in tap, right?

pH: 8.2

temp: I ran out of thermometers, but it is definitely warmer than room temp by at least a few degrees. (Room is 72-ish.)

Mowgli is bottom sitting, but with his dorsal up. Still won't eat, and has to be hand fed daphnia with a syringe. I can't tell if I'm getting these readings because the tank is cycled or because I did an almost full change yesterday... so I'll do another change tonight just in case.

MEANWHILE... My new RG fish who has a separate tank with separate equipment is (I believe) showing signs of flukes. She bottom sits, then gulps air at the surface. I do see the occasional telltale "yawn". Her tank isn't cycled, but I'm doing plenty of water changes and everything looks good. Should I add prazi to her tank now, or wait until it's cycled? Here's a link to where I started this discussion by the way: Is It True?

Did you have nitrate readings before with your tap, hun? If not, then it's possible the nitrate could simply be very low at the moment but you can always test for it just to be sure.

I'd just prazi the new fish, hun. You still have a chance to eliminate gill flukes as early as possible. She has all the symptoms of flukes to me. Like I mentioned before, the breeders won't have enough time to observe every fish for possible flukes, etc so it is always a good idea to quarantine regardless of the source. I'm glad you quarantined the new one.:)

Okay, so you think I should start the Prazi before I get the cycle established? I'm just wondering because if I dose with Prazi today after a water change, I'm going to have to do a water change tomorrow again because of ammonia. So... tomorrow after a water change do I redose the Prazi? Or not? Will that be an overdose? And then, do I just keep redosing it with every water change for three straight days, and then not dose it for two days after that, and repeat the pattern again?

Sorry if this is confusing, I just want to make sure! :)

I'd redose the prazi again after a water change. It gets removed easily from a water change. Redose per the water volume you replaced. The prazi eventually disappears after 3 days or more by which time, you may need to redose in full ( but this is assuming only if no water changes were done at all and you need to do this as your cycle may not have stabilized yet).

Can you please lay me the dosing schedule in a fixed "schedule" way?lol I tend to get confused when done in a paragraph.oops.gif

testkit.gif

Edited by Lupin

Oh okay, sure!

Day 1: full water change, dose prazi

Day 2: full water change, dose prazi

Day 3: full water change, dose prazi

Day 4: full water change

Day 5: full water change

Day 6: full water change, dose prazi

Day 7: full water change, dose prazi

Day 8: full water change, dose prazi

Day 9: full water change

Day 10: full water change

Day 11: full water change, dose prazi

Day 12: full water change, dose prazi

Day 13: full water change, dose prazi

-resume daily reg. water changes and done with prazi treatment-

By "full water change", I probably mean more like 80% or so. Okay, does this make more sense?

Here's Mowgli currently. Just wondering if there's anything else I should be doing for him. Besides keeping his water super clean. He sits most of the time with his dorsal up straight, but all other fins pretty clamped. He sometimes swims awkwardly around but always with clamped tail fin. Since he's been sick, his black markings have come back. A few weeks ago when he was feeling well and under bright light he was almost all gold. Why is this happening? I know it's not ammonia burn because it's just his natural black markings, but they fade in and out at times. This time they've faded when he started feeling ill. Weird. I don't know what to do for him but I'm worried.

IMG_4190.jpg

IMG_4191.jpg

Edit: He has been in the dark a lot, so maybe that's just why his black is coming back. It does tend to do that when he doesn't receive much light, but I just want to make sure it doesn't mean something bad!

Edited by Sakura

The dark conditions do darken their marks. I noticed that with my own goldfish. Don't worry about that. Less is better. If you're treating with prazi, stick to it and do water changes.

Today when I got home from school I came home to an unhappy fish- my new RG telescope that is. When I first got her, her fins were a little frayed on the edges, but since she's been here, I've seen improvements and they were actually looking pretty good. Well, today they are more frayed at the edges again now! I also just noticed she has a weird semi-transparent, whispy-looking thing hanging off of her eyeball. Could it be slimecoat that is coming off or what? I've never seen anything like it before, and I tried to get a picture but it was sooooo hard. She also has red-ish looking areas that kind of look like rug burn or something, I don't know. My first thought was ammonia, since it is cycling, so I checked and it was already at 0.25 or maybe even slightly higher than that. I didn't match it up to the color chart, I just saw it was green and did a water change! Today is day 3 of her Prazi treatment as outlined above. She pretty much bottom sits all the time now with her fins clamped.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this clear-ish, stringy, mucous-looking stuff coming off a fish before? Like I said, it's hanging off of her eyeball. You can see it in the video towards the top portion of her right eyeball. I also noticed that her fins look strange. The dorsal looks thicker in some places and thinner in others. It didn't look like this before. She also has tiny holes in her caudal fin very close to the edge of the fins. Anyone know what's going on? :(

Video Clip

Picture. I circled the mucous-looking stringy thing:

circle.jpg

I'm beginning to get really worried. She hasn't shown interest in eating today. And I guess the red doesn't look like carpet burn really. It looks more like broken blood vessels and it's only in her fins- all of them. Very clamped fins, and she's got red in her eyes too. Well not IN the eyes, but on the bulgy part of her eyes. Tomorrow IF I have time I might try to do two smaller water changes instead of one big one to try and lower the stress factor. I kind of doubt I will have time, but we'll see.

This seems a side effect of prazi to me. They usually become worse before they feel better. It sucks but this happens. Do you have Vit C and garlic to add to her food?

Oh, really? Okay I hope you're right! Poor little thing, I hate seeing her like this :( No I don't have Vit. C or Garlic, but I can try and find some of that Garlic Guard if I can. Hmm, maybe frozen bloodworms would make her want to eat more too. I'll try a few different things tomorrow.

Do you think that mucous-y thing coming off her is just slimecoat being shed or what? It's so weird :hmm

Those are good questions, I don't know. I just did a 100% water change, so all readings should be 0 or very near it. And I don't know pH. I'm calling it a day for now (I'm up way too late as usual!), but I will post those readings tomorrow asap.

Edit: Oh, and I've never gotten any readings for ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate out of the tap, just to add.

Edited by Sakura

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I think I may finally feel confident enough in his condition to post this; I think Mowgli is improving. :heart

I had been just sticking with the Prazi, but the thought that there may be an underlying bacterial infection was always on my mind. Then one day last week he looked about to die- like he just absolutely wouldn't make it through the night. I had some MetroPlus on hand, so I decided to start him on that as a last resort. He's been on it six days now, and he has actually improved. He is finally able to eat pellets again, and without any help from me. He swims a little better, but is obviously still very damaged. He will require continued special care for quite some time, but at least there is some hope now! MetroPlus is a miracle med. I just wish I would have tried it sooner because I really think I could have saved Moxie. I kind of think I should have started the Metro as soon as I saw the popeye. Yet I don't know... because the popeye did get better even before I began the Metro. I absolutely do think that it was a bacterial infection that caused the death of at least three of my fish though.

I guess I have no idea how this whole mess got started, but most likely it was a combination of many things. And now I just have my original fish left and my new rain garden girl. :(