Oh No!

Sakura

Okay so for those of you who don't know/don't remember my situation I'll try to briefly explain:

My four fish in the 55 gallon were being treated for flukes, but the PC tabs caused a cycle bump so I decided to temporarily stop the meds to focus on getting the water quality back up. They seemed really unhappy yesterday though, so after a water change, I gave a dose of Prazi (no longer using those PC tabs).

Today Mowgli (fantail) has popeye. I was kind of wondering about it, because his eye looked a little bigger yesterday, but not big enough to tell. But today it is much bigger looking. Carl is really unhappy and seems close to death. All he does now is hang out right at the surface and gets a little bit tossed around in the currents. He's still upright and aware, but just not looking great. He's a pearlscale and I think that his scales may be "ballooning" out similar to what Wallaby just encountered with her pearlie. It doesn't look like dropsy, but like there are tiny bubbles enclosing each scale. It's so slight that it definitely won't show up on a photo though. Mowgli has had trouble eating lately also. He swims after the food sometimes, but only very slowly, and when he gets it in his mouth he spits it right back out. He's getting really skinny looking, and I'm worried. Just a reminder, Carl had a white bump on his fin that still hasn't been diagnosed, so is it possible that something bacterial is going on in the tank? I have metro+, epsom salts, some type of Maracyn (I think two), salt, and Prazi on hand. If I need to start treating them with epsom and metro+ for this, should I quit the Prazi treatment (again!)? I didn't get a picture of his eye, but it really looks like popeye to me. It's got the white circle thing around the eye going on, and it's sticking way out compared to the other eye. He looks miserable. :(

Ugh, I don't know if I can deal with this right now, school just started and I have a really heavy class load this semester!! :( I also have a new fish coming from Rain Garden in a week! I'm going to have to be really careful about keeping things separate from her tank to theirs.

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? probably 0-.25

[*]Nitrite Level? probably about 0

[*]Nitrate level? probably about 0 (100% daily water changes)

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? pH is 8.2

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? pH is 7.6

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API freshwater master.

[*]Water temperature? 76-78 F

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 gallons, about two months

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? I have over 10X filtration.

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? Lately every day 100% because of cycle bump.

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 4 fish, all under 3 inches including tails.

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime.

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Saki-Hikari. Occasional peas and bloodworms.

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? No.

[*]Any medications added to the tank? Prazi added yesterday.

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Popeye on Mowgli. Scales weird on Carl.

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Mowgli doesn't eat. Carl barely eats. Other two fish have good appetites still. Carl hangs at the surface. The other three bottom sit, but that's because of the flukes treatment I believe because they just started that after I added the Prazi.

Edited by Sakura

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But... I'm confused. The popeye thing happened during the time when I've been doing water changes. Could this just be a water quality thing, or should I add some type of antibiotic? I'm worried there's a bacterial infection being passed around, but I just can't prove it to myself.

Isn't epsom usually better than salting to .3% with popeye situations? Should I try Maracyn or maybe metro+?

The book says nothing about using meds. Just says good water and salt.

However if they are still eating I would think some medicated food would be helpful.

The ones having problems won't eat. Mowgli hasn't eaten in a few days and Carl eats only a tiny bit... maybe he doesn't eat at all. But I already wrote all this in the first post :) Mowgli looks very skinny and it's actually pretty alarming.

I've heard of other people on the forum being advised to use epsom salt and metro+ for popeye situations. Maybe I misread?

Here's what it says on the "Goldfish Diseases" page:

Pop Eye

The fishes eye is bulging out of the socket. This is normally the first signs of Dropsy. You can stop it with meds.

That's all it says though it doesn't say what kind of meds! :(

Sorry the book I use says nothing about meds so would not know what to suggest. BTW the book I referring to is "Fancy Goldfish A complete guide to care and collecting" I completely trust it.

It does say Chloramphenical can be used for bacerial infections but I am not sure what product you would find that in.

It's just one eye. I'm going to try for a picture here as soon as my camera is done charging. I'm so worried. :/

Popeye isn't normally fatal so I wouldn't worry TOO much. If it is just one eye than I'm 96% sure it's a bacterial infection which would require some antibacterial meds.

I'm sorry about the quality of these, but here's some pictures. It didn't show up on camera as well as I'd hoped, but there is a well defined clear-ish white "air bubble" looking thing forming in a donut shape around the eyeball. It's sticking out much more than his other eye too.

IMG_4038.jpg

IMG_4040.jpg

IMG_4041.jpg

IMG_4042.jpg

Yep, he's not pineconing at all, and I just tried feeding him- he won't eat.

Is he exhibiting any other symptoms other than not eating and the one swollen eye? He could just be feeling under the weather from his eye :( that looks pretty uncomfortable. Maybe try feeding him something irresistable like bloodworms? I'm trying to help best I can. Hopefully someone more expierienced in goldie meds can help. If this were any other fish I'd treat with a antibiotic and salt but I'm not sure if it applies to goldies.

Okay, thanks for your help. I'd like to wait for someone more experienced in goldfish illnesses to come along too, but you have helped. :) Right now I'm just going to do their daily water change until someone else can chime in too.

I'm just worried because I'm also treating them for flukes right now. And if I end up having to treat them for something bacterial, I don't know if that can be done at the same time as Prazi. And I don't know if it can wait on the flukes... they are showing symptoms from that too.

If I remember right, Furanase contains chloramphenicol.

Salt is still a med, just not a chemical-based one. For popeye cases, I just stick to my water changes daily and they fix themselves. My new tancho orandas had a slightly noticeable eye bulge but they went back to normal after a few days stay with me. The friend was shocked he hadn't noticed it before and it was there already when they were in the bag.

But the fish won't eat anything either, and hasn't for a while despite my attempts to keep the water clean. :( Could this indicate something more serious? He normally eats like a pig.

How does the poop look? I was going to consider suggesting MediGold. Doesn't seem the best option out there now. Do you have access to kanamycin or kanaplex?

He's not pooping because he's not eating. He's very skinny- I can't stress that enough.

I have never heard of those medications, but was hoping I could use something I have now... I have MetroPlus, Epsom, Salt, and Prazi. Or maybe something that's easily accessible like Maracyn? Would any of those things help? Do you think it could be bacterial?

If water quality was not the issue (although you HAD ammonia in your first post), bacterial issue is the next thing to consider. If he is losing appetite dramatically, something bacterial or parasitic may be involved. It's hard to say which of the two or both could have been involved. Is MetroPlus metronidazole-based? If so, perhaps we'll consider metro for now as it's the safest I can see out there. If you have access to Maracyn, you can buy one but don't use it yet. Try the safest options first.

I might add that considering your pH at 8.2, tetracycline is not an option as it is ineffective at that pH range. Kanamycin will work much better compared to tetracycline although not advisable if renal failure is involved (something fortunately not a problem here).

Edited by Lupin

Yes, MetroPlus is Hikari's version of MetroMeds basically. It's a powder that you dissolve into the water.

Something bacterial or parasitic may be involved? Hmm... could he be not eating and having popeye because of the flukes then? I am still battling that problem as well. It's so frustrating not knowing what is wrong. This is the fish that I've kept in small tanks back before I knew better and he has NEVER had any problems before this! :(

I might add that considering your pH at 8.2, tetracycline is not an option as it is ineffective at that pH range. Kanamycin will work much better compared to tetracycline although not advisable if renal failure is involved (something fortunately not a problem here).

Darn, just when I thought I was giving decent advise. :(

Whoops..Just got back here for awhile.

Will answer your questions.

Let prazi linger there as required. Yes, you can also treat with metro for possible internal bacterial problem related to popeye issue.

Pearl, no worries. You gave a wonderful advice. It's just some meds don't work well depending on your water conditions.:)