Oscar Is Pineconing

jody

If you move her gently with your hand does she flip and float and feel like she is "hollow" inside. Thats the only way I can describe how a fish feels when they have a serious internal infection or failure that is not responding to treatment.

I know she has digestion issues, but she has also had an infection. This position could be her kind of bottom sitting or it could be more sinister organ failure.

I think since the sore healed, she is still fighting and quite possibly able to fight back again. Just be patient and keep feeding the med food for the full course. Perfect water as you are doing.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes that is how she feels kind of hollow and real light feeling. I think her body is kinked, because its not just like that when she bottom sits, its even like that when she tries to swim.

I'll keep the water perfect and finish the food.

Thanks Trinket

This situation is wearing on my nerves. I cried today when Oscar couldnt even swim to get her food. She did eat though it was hard to watch her struggle to swim. If their is a chance for her to make it I will do whatever it will take for that to happen. But if this is looking to be a bleak situation please let me know as I am prepared to put her to sleep. I think I can be strong though if there is a chance she will straighten out, flip back up and be herself again.

I am so thankful for your help Trinket and everyone else who has been contributing or following this thread. I know these are hard questions, but I ask for you to help me through.

Can you buy a very big baby net to place her in?

I remember when my Oscar was doing that. It was killing me on the inside to watch! Sometimes miracles can happen! ;)

Thanks Sushi. She is making out alright just taking longer to eat than usual. Seemed a little more active today.

The scales are no fully healed on her side. Should I be using Melafix?

If you have Melafix there, try it. I don't use it much personally but I have used tea tree oil (same) and it certainly didnt make things worse when I did. The only thing with melafix is not to overdo it as over time it builds up in the water and some people say clogs gills. One week max. I aways have used it less than the recommended dose..for just a few days. It is an antibacterial.

Ammonia - 0

Nitrites - 0

Nitrates - <5

PH - 7.1

Salt 1%

Melafix

Jungle Anti-Bacteria Food - 13th Day

The sore is pretty much all healed now, just a slight discoloration where it was, a little white.

She is eating and pooping the same color.

Her tail is kinked pretty bad to that one side which causes her to swim in circles/sideways. And she is flipped on her side/upside down.

She spends alot of her time by the bubble wand in the corner, she kind of nestles in there to prevent her from floating all about.

A few questions:

Do I stop the Jungle food after 14 days?

Should I fast after the course of the Jungle food? Or just feed peas for 3 days?

Do you think she will ever straighten out? And do you think because she is kinked she has some sort of permanent organ damage that will kill her in time?

Thanks in advance:)

Yes. I would keep the salt at 0.1%. That is one teaspoon of salt for each gallon of water you have in her home.

The kink is a worry. It does often mean there has been some organ failure or damage. However I have seen another few members with the same curved flipped fish recover completely. I can't say Oscar will or won't. Most likely she is going to be a special needs fish that needs very careful monitoring re-food and water. She has appetite and has not lost the will to fight, she has healed her sore; all these things are in favor of the best recovery.

Sustained good TLC is what you can and are doing. Stop the Jungle at 14 (then feed peas or better still a probiotic food) and keep with the melafix for another few days, the low salt a few weeks...lots of bubbles, keep on keeping us posted :heart

Thank you so much Trinket!:) Your post has made my day.

Your good advice and kind words are helping me through this and Oscar thanks you as well :gfish:

Will keep you posted. She is actually playing in the bubbles after tonights water change.

• Admin

Its food like Jumpstart.... It helps to put the good bio bugs back your digestive tract. Like when we take antibiotic foods we should eat "acidophilus" after wards so that our stomachs can digest properly again :)

Thanks Kokosmile.gif

Its too bad my LFS only has Nutrifin Max Flakes and Pellets. I swear its the worst selection of food I have ever seen. They do have a good selection of frozen food though. Anything else has to come by mail order or homemade.

Oscar is floating on her side all kinked one way. It is so disheartning to see her like this. She has hung on this long which makes me happy in one way and in another not so. I don't know if she will ever swim straight again. I don't know how she will make it back in the main tank competing for food when she has to struggle to get to the bottom to get the food. She doesnt appear to be happy as she doesnt get excited to see me anymore, she just floats about.

I kept her on peas straight for 3-4 days after the jungle and now back to gel food and such. I tried some blood worms last night but she didnt seem too interested in them, I ended up scooping them out with the net later. Also this morning she didnt seem to much like eating. The melefix should be all out by now as I did a huge 80% WC yesterday and have had carbon in since the Triple Sulfa stopped. I am keeping the salt at .1%.

So I now wonder what will be her fate. Will she stay crooked and on her side forever now? Is this organ damage mean it is only a short matter of time until she dies? Do you think there still might be a chance she may swim upright again?

Thanks for being here smile.gif

I'm so sorry :(. It is so heartbreaking to watch this. It is a waiting game to see if she regains her appetite which in turn will help her to fight back more. I don't like to suggest any more meds right now. Good water and trying to entice her to eat seem the best treatments.

I kept a fish for a few years who was first floating and then grounded. A pearlscale -so body kink less easy to note but same otherwise. She hung on for a long time and managed to shuffle round the bottom to find food.

It's good you are removing the old food (bws) she doesn't eat.

Thanks Trinket :) She was eating better today. It is such a struggle for her to get the food, I think sometimes she just cant be bothered the fight to get to the bottom. After several circles she can get something before floating back towards the top.

So do you think the salt should be done now? She is at .1%. Also when can I try her out back in the main tank?

The salt is no longer needed IMO if she has no more body sores and the slimecoat is intact again. This is an internal thing, most likely I am afraid some kind of organ failure.

However, with perfect water and low stress this is not a death sentence. If the water is stable in your other tank and you think your other fish will not pick on her (VERY IMPORTANT consideration) then by all means put her back, I very much doubt and would almost swear on it, this is not infectious.

No more sores are present and the slime coat is back intact. I have put her in the main tank for now and will keep an eye on things tonight to make sure she is not picked on. I have been sharing items from tank to tank so I am with you on the non-infectious. Water is good in the main tank.

Thanks smile.gif

Also thank you so much for your help Trinket with this thread.00001649.gif You have kept with us through this hard time and you will not be forgotton for that. If there is ever anything I can do for you, please just say the word heartpump.gif

gfish.gif

Thanks Trinket that means a lot.

I am afraid though something is back on her same side. This is right near the back of her belly by the tail. its a white spot looks like pus coming out. I'll try to get a closer look on my lunch break. It could be a build up on the slime coat or something but I am pretty sure it is pus again. Its coming out further back from where it was before.

What do you think?

Oh dear. Im sorry. Looks like she still has an internal infection going on in there. The pus is columns of bacteria are coming out from inside. Did you say she was eating? Jungle antibacterial food is very good for this quite often.

Is she in with your other fish?