Oscar Is Pineconing

jody

Just stick with the plan and that is all you can do Im afraid.

Is she eating any of the Jungle? Can she get into the breeding box or do you need to help her in?

She might be best in there to give her some rest. Then she might get her appetite back hopefully so the Jungle can get to work.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She is eating the Jungle. I fed her some this morning. I am leary to feed twice a day as she is bladder sensitive and this is pellet food, what do you think? I have to help her into the box but once she is in there she seems content to just lay there. I can hang the box from the top of the tank so she wouldnt be able to get out but I am not sure. She would get more rest I think that way. I am dosing as directed for the Triple Sulfa.

You are doing fine. Floaty prone fish are extra hard to treat because their symptoms can be so confusing. She has had food issues before so what we are doing here is dealing with the sore in her side which is likely an infection.

It is important that you keep the salt at 0.1% as any open place in the slimecoat affects osmoregulation (transfer of gases that can make fish floaty).

No that is absolutely fine. Between 0.1% and 0.2%. Keep track when you do water changes so it doesnt get higher than within that range.

Ok sounds good. I forgot I wouldnt be able to change water right now because I am dosing with the Triple Sulfa. I have to do a 25% tomorrow to dose correctly. I will be sure to keep it between 0.1-0.2%

Thanks againheartpump.gif I will watch the ammonia as you said and stay the course.

Poor baby...

I know the mods are helping you, but my fantail has had something similar a few times (still happens ocassionally)... she gets floaty, then a lump under her scales, crowns in a white pus ball, drops out, she floats a few days then is okay. I use salt and Pima/Melafix 50/50 for a few days and she gets better. She had a very bad outbreak once and the Tri-Sulpha worked really well.

Hope she's okay soon :(

Squik, that is really good to know. When your fish is sick there is nothing more comforting than knowing someone else has been there -with the same thing- and pulled their fish through. Fins crossed for Oscar!!!!:heart

Things are going well. Her side is getting better(no more pus) and she still continues to eat the medicated food. She is still on her side though.

The instructions on the food say to feed as much as the fish will eat, I dont think this applies to goldfish. The water is getting a little cloudy but the ammonia is still zero.

The instructions for the Triple Sulfa say when the dosing is complete then to do a final 25% WC and add activated carbon. I think after the dosing I am going to need more than a 25% WC considering the water is cloudy now. Do I really need the activated carbon or could I do a huge water change?

I assume I continue with the salt after the Triple Sulfa and continue the medicated food exclusivly for the full 14 days.

Anything else I need to be doing?

In order to get the activated carbon in the filter in the hospital tank I have to switch my biomedia from my filter in the main tank. Is it ok to move the biomax from the aquaclear in my hospital tank to my main tank. Would the medication be in the bio media and affect the fish in the main tank? Sounds confusing I know but basically can I take bio media from a medicated tank and add it to a tank without medication?

Are you saying you want to keep filtering the QT while you deal with the carbon? As long as you have an airstone in there you should be able to move the filter off for 15 mins to do that without upsetting your cycle and fish.

Or have i got your meaning all confused??:D

Sorry its kind of hard to explain. Would it be okay to put some filter media from a medicated(Triple Sulfa) tank to another tank? I am just concerned some of the meds will go into the other tank. Probably just a silly concern.

I never re-use carbon. I just throw it out to be safe.

Actual media..like bioballs etc just rinse and can use again certainly yes.

ok great thanks a bunchbiggrin.gif sorry for the crazy story, lol.

Oscar still seems weak. she just sits in the corner upside down. The Triple Sulfa treatment ends today. I am adding the carbon and doing a big WC today I hope she comes around soon.

Thanks I have the salt all mixed up now and ready to go in. :)

She seems really weak, she just sits upside down in the corner by the bubble wand. I hope she is not suffering

She is still kind of twisted to that side that was infected. The wound seems to be healing well, no pus for about 5 -6 days now, the scales are a bit discolored but not really raised anymore.

I don't think the medicated food is helping with her being upside down as she always had trouble with pellet food and staying upright. She swims around the tank every now and then and eats, she still has an appetite.

How do you think she is doing?

I am on day 7 of the medicated food. Should I go the full two weeks with the food? Again she is listless with her face in the corner upside down. Should she be more active now? Or is this a bad sign?

She seems to be curled to one side. She has been like this since she flipped upside down:

oscar-sick2.jpg

oscar-sick.jpg

Is this some kind of permanent damage resulting from the infection, will she straighten out eventually?

All she does all day is lay like this by the bubble wand.

:help:

The sore is gone for the most part. There is a little white there but I think it is just the scales that got discolored. The scales are not raised anymore maybe just 2-3 of them where the sore was.

She will swim upright/on her side for a second or two and then flip right back over. Her belly feels a little soft.