70F

27 Gallon running a year

2 Aquaclear 50(200) filters running 4 months

Change 80% weekly. 100% every other month

3 fish in tank:

1. Oscar - Black Moor - 5 inches including tail
  2. Peepers - Black Moor - 4.5 inches includint tail
  3. Google - Telescope - 7 inches including tail

Prime, Nutafin PH Adjust every week. Stress coat and Aqua Plus sometimes.

Feed fish twice daily. Homemade gel food(peas, spinach, brocilli, hikari pellets, goldfish flakes), peas, frozen blood worms, frozen brine shrimp.

No new fish

No meds

Pineconing on Oscar's left side

No unusual behavior.

HPIM0701.gif

It seems to be progressing fast. First noticed it a little last week and now they are protruding quite a bit.

Please :help:

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jody I am so sorry ! It looks like a completely isolated area, almost like the scales are going to lift up and maybe an ulcer or something is forming underneath. It is way less serious than all over pineconing though.

I've seen this with parasites that get in under the scales, but I know you have treated your fish with prazi and salt right?

Also- is the temperature stable (at 70) ?

It is way less serious than all over pineconing though.

Ohhh I agree! What a relief! Every time I see the words "dropsy" or "pineconing" my heart goes out to the person because I know how hard it is to deal with. So as soon as I saw the pic and saw that it was only in that one spot I breathed a little sigh of relief... I def agree with Imo here...

:exactly

I feel better as well now. I havent started with any treatment for this yet. I have no access to Prazi right now unless I mail order it. I do have the Jungle Parisite Clear and of course Aquarium Salt. I think I will QT in my 18 Gallon for this? Is it ok to use the salt and Parisite Clear together? Bring the salt to .3% I presume, and the Parisite Clear at full strenghth? Temp is stable at 70F.

Thanks for the help!!

I just moved her over to the hospital tank. When I moved her the net must have pressed up against her side and a little white is sticking out. So I am starting the salt right away. And for the prazi tablets I'll hang on till I get the go ahead. The white looks like kind of fuzz solid looking.

I agree.. salt would have been my first move.. Especially now that u see the white sticking out. Hopefully it's nothing more than a wound or sore and the salt should clear that up in no time..

As for the Parasite Clear yes it's an option, but I wonder if in this case would it be smarter to just go ahead and order the prazi. Prazi alone is much safer and I'm not sure I see anything here that is SUCH an emergency that u would absolutely HAVE to start the Parasite Clear today. When possible I really like to recommend prazi by itself. I feel it's always best to use the safest possible meds, and not use any unneccessary meds unless it's an emergency. The fish seems to be behaving normal except for that spot. No bottom sitting, or clamped fins or problems eating right? So it doesn't SEEM like an emergency to me.... but..

Imo you seem to be more familiar with this particular case, so is there any reason why she could not start with the salt, then order the prazi and start that as soon as it arrives? I see that u said that you've seen bumps like this with parasites that get under the scales, so maybe you would suggest starting the Parasite Clear now? What do you think is best?

I have the salt to .1%. Looks like I would have to make a payment to my credit card before I could order(which takes 3 days to process), so looking at a week+ to get the Prazi. No bottom sitting, or clamped fins or problems eating. Thank you so much for your help!!:)

Here are some updated pictures. Seems like a lot of white stuff is there:

HPIM0702.gif

HPIM0703.gif

I wonder if it's possible that the fish just scraped itself on an ornament or something else in the tank? It reminds me of a spot that I had on my black moor Angel a while back. It looked VERY similar and had me VERY worried but Imo pointed out that I had some sharp decorations in my tank and that she may have scraped her side trying to wiggle in and out of the decorations.. It looked like a bad bump, with some def scales protruding a bit around the area in a similar way that urs is (not a normally pineconing way) and there was a white fuzz like substance under the scales. I salted and prazied and the area cleared up within days.. Maybe its somthing simple like that?

I sure hope it is a simple fix like that. She had a little cotton like fuzz cropping up here and there a while back, the thread. I am not sure if it is related. The only sharp thing I have is the intake tubes which the ends are rough. I see nicks on the fish from time to time and I figure it is from those tubes.

I think it possibly could be a columnaris type cyst erupting under there and pus will come out and the scales rub off.

A topical as CL mentions might be a very good place to start. Low salt is excellent and lots of bubbles and lets see where this is heading in another day.

Looks a little better today. Not as much white stuff. When you say low salt what percent do yo mean? I am about to bring it to .2%. What is an HP swab? She is fairly easy to handle.

0.1-0.2% usually will work which is equivalent to 1-2 teaspoons per gallon. The whole purpose of salt is to keep bacteria from latching to the wound thus preventing infections from occurring on the spot.

HP swab is swabbing the wound with a small ball of cotton or Q-tip dipped in hydrogen peroxide. It should be done only ONCE as repetitive swabbing can remove the healing tissue therefore the affected area has no chance of healing well anymore.

Ok will have the salt to .2% today as soon as my next dose of .1% is done dissolving in my container. I am kind of scared to swap the area because the scale that the sore was protruding from has gone down. I am scared to pull off the scale trying to get under it. I am thinking that scale is going to fall off soon anyway.

Edited by Hawaiian Crush

This is just my thought but if the swelling is going down, I do not think I'd swab right now. Perhaps, just let salt work its course for now and watch carefully. Do you agree with this, Sue and Imo?

Things are looking better again today. I cant seem to see any white stuff protruding from beneath the scales. They are still raised though. The salt is still at .2%, any need to raise to .3%?

Thanks for all your help!:)

I should raise it to 0.3% for 3 or 4 days and see if that helps. That would kill any costia, a common parasite that causes localised scale raising . Also epystilis (white thready stuff coming out). Then if that doesnt help consider the hp or iodine swab.

Are there any other symptoms Jody?

I have raised salt to .3% tonight. I'll keep an eye on her. Seems good, the scales are still raised a little and a little discoloration of 3-4 scales. No more puss is erupting. Levels are all good everything at zero right now with ph holding steady. Not really any other symptoms, she sits in one spot most of the time near the bottom but I think that is her spot to relax away from the current. I am not used to seeing her in this tank so I am not sure if that is unusual or not. But overall she seems happy in her tank.

Again thanks:)

Edited by Hawaiian Crush

Oscar is flipped on her side now. She started it yesterday and she is floating around the tank on one side with her body bent to one side. She flips over on her back sometimes after eating but it never goes on for more than an hour. This time it has been a whole day and on her side. What should I do?

She is still floating around the tank letting the current take her all over the tank. Its like she gave up the will to swim. She is kinked to one side curling toward the affected side with the other side pointing up. I skipped feeding this morning in case she is bloated. Should I be feeding now or not? There is a skinny white poop trailing her about 1 inch long. Here are some pictures now:

oscar3.jpg

oscar2-1.jpg

oscar1-1.jpg

I am really worried this is so out of character for her.

Ph is around 6.8-7.0 right now. It did drop a little since I set the tank up. I use Nutrifin PH stabalizer(Kh booster) to keep it from dropping between WC. I see that I didnt add enough when I set the QT tank up causing it to drop. The KH is really low at <20mg/L (always has been). Water comes out of the tap at 7.0-7.2

The filter that is in the tank came from the main tank which was cycled. The cycle seems really strong, the tank has been going for 4 days and levels are Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, and Nitrates Trace.

The only water trigger I can think of is the salt. She flipped over the day after I brought it to .3%. There is nothing else different here. The airstone is different but it is giving plenty of bubbles, probably the same as the main tank for dissolved 02.