Ich X

Sakura

My next two goldfish will be going into a 29 gallon planted tank. Since they will be the only ones I was planning on this being their QT as well as their main tank. But it will have lots of plants, and I'm not willing to do the normal salt treatment because it will kill them. Has anyone used Ich X by Hikari? It is supposedly safe for plants, but is this a good treatment to replace salt? Will it serve the same purpose and also be less stress on the fish? Or in my instance should I just forgo the salt treatment and use only Prazi. I know they treat for different things... hopefully my next fish will be coming from a reputable breeder though rather than a store so it might be less likely they will have something nasty. Otherwise are there any other treatments (that serve the same purpose and also won't harm the plants) that I could consider?

I've thought about that, but there's (hopefully) going to be a lot of them and it's not good for them to be uprooted very often or at all really. :/ Plus a bunch will be tied to chunks of driftwood and it's not so easy to keep those in buckets in my experience.

I guess I could make it work if I had to, but I'd rather find a different treatment that won't harm the plants so I don't have to uproot everything and pull everything out.

What are the ingredients of Ich X? I don't like to use chemicals, not even if they are herbal meds or any meds that claim they are safe to plants. Meds are last resorts. If it were me personally, I'd prioritize my fish first over plants and use the gentlest yet effective meds first before anything else.

Oh, I just looked up some more about it but it says it stains silicone sealants, so I guess I wouldn't use it anyway. It also cautions not to use it with any other medications, but then it says "excellent when used with liquid PraziPro". LOL so which is it?! Here's the ingredients though:

water, formaldehyde (<5%), methanol (<2%), malachite green chloride (<0.1%)

Maybe there's a different treatment out there that would work then. Or maybe if I picked them up from a reputable breeder I could just do the Prazi and not salt. Hmm, probably depends I suppose.

They're chemically-loaded. Both formalin and malachite green are recognized carcinogenic agents. The malachite green can kill your beneficial bacteria and plants. Salt would be the lesser evil of the two. Formalin greatly reduces the oxygen level as well.

Can you not let the plants wait for now until salt treatment is over?

Oh it says formaldehyde, not formalin. But maybe they're the same thing? Weird, it says it's safe on the bacteria and plants, but I do know that labels can lie! :thumbdown

I was planning on waiting on the plants until I got the fish, but I already have some plants and had to get them all set up in that tank sooner than I wanted so they wouldn't die off in the 55 gallon tank with salt! I've also just ordered some more java ferns from ebay, but we'll see if they make it through shipping. At least java ferns would be more easy to keep in a bucket for a period of time. Well I'm sure I'll figure something out at any rate.

My intent with this tank is to make it about the plants AND about the fish. I know that's hard to do with goldfish, but I want to try anyways. I think it could work. But obviously if I had to choose the life of my fish or my plant, I would choose my fish! lol

Edited by Sakura

A few plants can survive both salt and goldfish...Java ferns, anubias and Java moss. Crypts, vallisnerias and Amazon swords work well with goldies.

Oh, I had a blonde moment AGAIN! Sorry about the names of the meds.doh11.gif

That's odd because I have java fern, java moss, anubias, and swords. I chose them because I know they work well with goldfish. The swords were completely demolished by the salt. I mean completely. Melted until there was nothing left. The others were getting really bad, and I think I still might lose the java fern. :idont

But yeah, like I said I'm sure I'll figure something out when the time comes. Thanks for the help though in the meantime.

You should plant your tank and get it all ready and just quarantine in a rubbermaid tub. No since in risking your plants. Win,win situation.

java fern Is fine with salt b\c it is a brackish water plant

I have some in my one tank that has a salinity of 1.006 and it is doing fine alot of plants can tolerate more salt than you think