Clams And Mussels Good Idea?

CosbyArt

I found a auction online at eBay for "5 golden clams, 4 fresh water mussels, 7 aquatic snails, 3 bunches of anacharis, and 10 floating aquatic fern". I was looking for some new plants, and a couple of snails would be great too. I have seen the golden clams at a local lake (not sure how they got there but there are lots of empty shells during the summer wash up on the beach) and thought it would be neat. So I won the auction and have them, but I am wondering if it was a bad buy.

I ended up receiving 8 golden clams, 6 mussels, about 10 snails, and a large handful of the "aquatic fern" which is commonly called duckweed. He forgot my anacharis plants and they should be here soon. He is a great seller and generous with his portions perhaps too much so, as I wondering if I can keep the clams and mussels from starving.

The mussels are of the Elliptio species, which I am unsure the exact type. I e-mailed to find out and the best I got was a misspelled word, and a lot of searching I found what he meant. There are a lot of different ones and some look nearly the same so I am unsure.

I have read everything I can online about them but it is often so vague and usually ends with they do not live very long at all and die from starvation. I only found one that said he has kept his for about 2 years by feeding them fish flakes crumbled to a powder.

I am curious if anyone has had any luck keeping them or know anything about them. Any help would be grateful.

Here is a picture of what they looked like before they buried themselves in my sand substrate.

cms.jpg

your clams will be much happier if they had a substrate of gravel to bury themselves in. If you wish to keep the tank bottom bare, fill a bowl with gravel and place the mussels/clams on it. You could watch them dig in almost immediately.

As for feeding, you can't keep them alive in clear water as these are filter feeders. Perhaps you could place jars full of old aquarium water in sunlight and cultivate greenwater which you could dump into the tank twice a week. The clams will filter it out faster than it could get established.

your clams will be much happier if they had a substrate of gravel to bury themselves in. If you wish to keep the tank bottom bare, fill a bowl with gravel and place the mussels/clams on it. You could watch them dig in almost immediately.

As for feeding, you can't keep them alive in clear water as these are filter feeders. Perhaps you could place jars full of old aquarium water in sunlight and cultivate greenwater which you could dump into the tank twice a week. The clams will filter it out faster than it could get established.

Actually I do have a substrate which is about 2 inches of sand, which they buried themselves in shortly after the picture was taken. I have heard of using the greenwater but always heard that it took a culture to get going (which I know can happen itself). If it is as simple as using water from my aquarium water changes that would work great, I even have 4 old mason one gallon jars I could use. Looks like something to check into, thanks for the idea.

I know nothing about clams and mussels, but being filter feeders, maybe try some liquid fry food? Since it's microscopic and suspended in the water, they should be able to filter it out and use it?

Just a thought, it might be worth a try. I recall a friend doing it awhile back to breed her bitterlings, since they use freshwater mussels to incubate the eggs.

Might work?

I know nothing about clams and mussels, but being filter feeders, maybe try some liquid fry food? Since it's microscopic and suspended in the water, they should be able to filter it out and use it?

Just a thought, it might be worth a try. I recall a friend doing it awhile back to breed her bitterlings, since they use freshwater mussels to incubate the eggs.

Might work?

That might be a better idea as I can see what my cats would do with my jars sitting in a window sill, what a mess that would be. I will check my local LFS's to see what they have. :D

Might work?

That might be a better idea as I can see what my cats would do with my jars sitting in a window sill, what a mess that would be. I will check my local LFS's to see what they have. :D

Hope it works out for you! Wardleys Liquifry is one liquid fry food my fry have always grown well on. Maybe that would be suitable for your mussels? let us know if they do alright on liquid food, because if they do I wouldn't mind getting myself afew for the tank. :yeah: