Pearlscale Long Poo & Bottom Sleeping... Very Worried.

glassbones

I'd be delighted if someone could help me.

[*]Ammonia Level? 0 (clear result)

[*]Nitrite Level? 0 (clear result)

[*]Nitrate level? 5 (water ever so slightly tinged with lilac colour)

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? Ph - 8.5 - 9.0.

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? Ph - 8.0.

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Drops. Nutrafin Mini-Master Test Kit for fresh water.

[*]Water temperature? 68 F.

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 120 litres, been running since April 2009.

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? 'Fish R Fun', around 7 - 8 inches.

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? It depends on test water results; usually 25 - 35% once a week with gravel syphoning.

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 2. Around one a half inches each.

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Seachem Prime for any ammonia spikes. Nutrafin Cycle combined with Nutrafin AquaPlus for all water changes.

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Tetra Goldfish Japan sinking mini sticks. Then as a treat around 3 times a week either Tetra Fresh Delica Brine Shrimps or Bloodworms.

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? No.

[*]Any medications added to the tank? No.

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No, unless anyone can see otherwise in my photo thread. About the only flaw I can see, is that there are some non-pearlscale scales on my pearlscale (lol!) but they have grown back as regular goldie scales..

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Moonbub the Pearlscale sleeps at the very bottom with his tummy resting on the gravel, hidden in a dark spot concealed with foliage. His poo has been very, VERY long lately. However, when I walk past the tank, he springs back to life and looks quite normal, (apart from the poo) swimming around. But around 25 - 40% of the time, he is settled in the dark corner looking a little sorry for himself.

Baby Bub Bub the Ranchu has spent some time 'air drinking' at the top, away from the oxygen pumps. He does is very ocassionally but when he does I feel a little concerned. Otherwise he looks happy, active and has normal little poos.

I've fed them both deshelled peas but it seems they're a little weirded out by them - they much for a few minutes and then spit it out, and then go and munch again - is this normal? :S

Thanks for any help at all! x

I'd be delighted if someone could help me.

[*]Ammonia Level? 0 (clear result)

[*]Nitrite Level? 0 (clear result)

[*]Nitrate level? 5 (water ever so slightly tinged with lilac colour)

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? Ph - 8.5 - 9.0.

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? Ph - 8.0.

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Drops. Nutrafin Mini-Master Test Kit for fresh water.

[*]Water temperature? 68 F.

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 120 litres, been running since April 2009.

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? 'Fish R Fun', around 7 - 8 inches.

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? It depends on test water results; usually 25 - 35% once a week with gravel syphoning.

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 2. Around one a half inches each.

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Seachem Prime for any ammonia spikes. Nutrafin Cycle combined with Nutrafin AquaPlus for all water changes.

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Tetra Goldfish Japan sinking mini sticks. Then as a treat around 3 times a week either Tetra Fresh Delica Brine Shrimps or Bloodworms.

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? No.

[*]Any medications added to the tank? No.

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No, unless anyone can see otherwise in my photo thread. About the only flaw I can see, is that there are some non-pearlscale scales on my pearlscale (lol!) but they have grown back as regular goldie scales..

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Moonbub the Pearlscale sleeps at the very bottom with his tummy resting on the gravel, hidden in a dark spot concealed with foliage. His poo has been very, VERY long lately. However, when I walk past the tank, he springs back to life and looks quite normal, (apart from the poo) swimming around. But around 25 - 40% of the time, he is settled in the dark corner looking a little sorry for himself.

Baby Bub Bub the Ranchu has spent some time 'air drinking' at the top, away from the oxygen pumps. He does is very ocassionally but when he does I feel a little concerned. Otherwise he looks happy, active and has normal little poos.

I've fed them both deshelled peas but it seems they're a little weirded out by them - they much for a few minutes and then spit it out, and then go and munch again - is this normal? :S

Thanks for any help at all! x

Someone should be able to help you soon. Most of our fish sleep with their tummies on the river pebbles but two of our fish like to sleep in plant pots where it's dark. Our older fish sometimes sleep alot more than the younger ones.

With regards to the long poo, I don't know if fasting for a couple of days would help. Do you put alot o food in the tank for your fish and when you do feed, does Moonbub get most of it?

Edited by apocraphya

Definitely time for an 80% water change if you have never done one. The tank looks very small in the linked pics, organic waste/bacteria build/s up so fast without an occasional large change. I'd see if that helps to start with.