New Tank Decoration?

Well I've just bought a new tank for my fishlings! Anyway I have gravel stones and plants already but what else do you like to put in your tank? I am not sure that I will even put gravel in at the moment, since goldies get so messy. I was thinking that I might put a cup in there for something for themtoinvestigate or a big vase... Thoughts appreciated :]

I like to add small driftwood to make it look a bit more natural. I also loved the small square glass vase I had ( I broke it washing it), but the goldies loved to try to hide in it. It was also a good place to attach the air stone on.

Edited by j-pond

Did you get the tank then?! Your goldies are going to love having more space! Keep in mind it's not a permanent solution so if you spot a bargain bigger tank and have the space steal it but it's definitely much better! :D

I like to use a really thin layer of gravel in my tanks, just enough to cover the bottom without burying lots of muck in it. Java ferns are a favourite of mine, and so is driftwood. My little Rusty loves to kiss the bubbles off my java ferns and swim round and round the driftwood :heart I used to have a gorgeous glass vase but Tigger managed to get stuck in it three times in four months so that got removed...Caesar used to fit fine but Tigger couldn't figure out how to get out. Some people have used those traditional glass fishbowls in their tanks with some glass pebbles in and that looks really good when the fish go inside. You can get the glass pebbles in lots of colours pretty cheap from ebay, let me know if you want me to send you the seller I use, I like to mix them in with the gravel for a bit of sparkle :)

I like natural settings, but the more I see the vases and bowls for them to check out, the more I like that look too--that is why you HAVE to have more than 1 tank-so you can decorate them!!!!

I must have tried every ornament, rock, bowl, plant pot, vase and driftwood on the market but in the end i have found that what ever i put in my tank i then start to worry about it. With plant pots and glass bowls/vases i worry that the water will not get as much movement or oxygen as the rest of the tank and start to become a breeding ground for nasty anaerobic bacteria. I have bought many different bits and sizes of mopani wood, i love how it looks in a tank but having had one of my fish get stuck under it that had to go too. i now think that less is more. I have not had much luck with real plants or moss balls either as my fish see it as a challenge now to see how quickly they can reduce them to shreds. Fake moss balls and pebbles is where i am at now and i do sometimes think that my tank looks bare but i know that my fish are safe :)

Yes I got a new tank, hopefully it will be delivered on Monday as the seller likes the fish shop on the next road from me so can double up the visit! However the lady from gumtree didn't reply so it turns out that one I was watching on eBay was going tonight so I just took the plunge (geddit?) and got it for a tenner! Yes that's a 90ltr for £10! Same size but no accessories, but cheaper all in all and delivered for a bit of a fee. It might work out better this way anyway because now I don't need to add decor that came with it, I get to choose. And I already have a fab filter. Your ideas all sound good, yes I would be interested to know the pebble seller too :]

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=260535981862&view=all&tid=0 that's the tank I hope you can see them

Edited by Goldfish Carer

I must have tried every ornament, rock, bowl, plant pot, vase and driftwood on the market but in the end i have found that what ever i put in my tank i then start to worry about it. With plant pots and glass bowls/vases i worry that the water will not get as much movement or oxygen as the rest of the tank and start to become a breeding ground for nasty anaerobic bacteria. I have bought many different bits and sizes of mopani wood, i love how it looks in a tank but having had one of my fish get stuck under it that had to go too. i now think that less is more. I have not had much luck with real plants or moss balls either as my fish see it as a challenge now to see how quickly they can reduce them to shreds. Fake moss balls and pebbles is where i am at now and i do sometimes think that my tank looks bare but i know that my fish are safe :)

I'm with you. I've had too many problems with decor, and have seen too many 911 threads on there because of it. Now I have a solid, smooth rock, some riverstones, and plants in shallow glass containers which get a big cleaning every time I do a water change.

With goldies, it can be risky to try and add deco!

i like adding gravel , some crypts, micro swords, java ferns and java moss and some moss balls. maybe an anubia. those would be coool, plus.. a busted boat? lol and a back drop

This is my tank now. Some river pebbles with a glass paper weight and 3 plastic moss balls. It is so easy to keep clean and i don't have to worry about any of my fish getting trapped in anything or hollow ornaments becoming toxic :)

tanksmallsize.jpg

tank.jpg

The eBay pics of my new tank I thought it had quite smart joins on the glass edges. I'll stick some photos up on Monday evening when I have filled it with water (thouhts on HOW to do that without a bucket?!)

I assume that you don't have a python ? You could use a garden hose connected to a tap to fill it quickly, just add prime as it's filling. 90 litres with a bucket will take some time, most buckets are 15 litres filled to the brim. You would be looking at about 8 nearly full buckets at least. Water changes will be fun :)