Breeding Question

fantailfan1

One of my fish has been chasing the other around the tank, bumping her bum, etc. Upon closer inspection I see 2 breeding stars on his gills and I've noticed a few eggs in the tank. (I just moved them into a 90 gallon tank on Saturday. Couldn't they have done this in the 20 gallon? It would make collecting eggs soooo much easier!) Anyway, I'm sure she's got a bunch more eggs to drop. How long does this breeding dance go on? Days? Weeks?

Fortunately, she is bigger than he is and he's not constantly tailing her. Is there anything I should do to move this along or just let her drop them without any help from me? Also should I feed her or will that make it worse?

I just can't believe they are breeding as I just got them in October and he was sooo small. He's grown like a weed and is really maturing, I guess!

Thanks for the help.

Off to watch the dance . . .

They must be happy in all that new space.

The dance goes on until she has released eggs between 3and 5 or 6 times. The first spray is usually biggest. They spray at dawn so you can miss it as the eggs get eaten fast.

Yes, the female is almost always bigger. the male can be just 6 months old and the female is at her peak at 3 years :)

Just regular food. She will be very hungry and needs nutrition so a variety with lots of vitamins. However days they have eaten eggs you dont need to feed at all as those are food! The eggs can bump your cycle,

so be careful with especially nitrites suddenly appearing.

Congratulations! Will you save some eggs and raise fry?

I will absolutely try and raise some fry! I have done it before and it was soooo much fun.

I haven't seen her drop any more eggs the last day or so. Maybe she won't drop a bunch? She's hungry, eating well and active. I planned on testing the water params today.

We are leaving Friday afternoon for the weekend, coming home Sunday afternoon. Hopefully she won't drop all the eggs while we're gone and cause trouble with the cycle!