My Little Oranda

My little oranda needs a name. I just got him/her today and it is very shy of the camera. It is what you might call a 'calico' colouring if you're American. I guess tortoise shell if you're on this side of the pond

:)

Anyway I just joined today and I'd love some ideas from you!

My others are called Klaus and Sgt. Shiny Sides after cartoon fish. Klaus from American Dad and Sgt from Family Guy. I had another who recently died called Blinky after the 3-eyed fish in the Simpsons.

DSC01234.jpg

Much appreciated :painting:

Edited by Goldfish Carer

The name:

Pumpkin Spice came to my mind!

Welcome to Koko's by the way!

Very cute fish!

Thank you Sushi for welcoming me and the lovely name idea! I hope your Sushi finds a friend soon, even just a regular little friend 83 xxx

I figured I should add the name suggestions to the correct thread. :D

Seems to be hard finding goldfish names from similar tv shows. One I found was one from South Park called Spookyfish. Another is Mr. Tickles from The Brak Show (no longer on air). I think the best would be Cosmo from The Fairly OddParents

Of course names such as Spongebob and Patrick have been popular for anything aquarium related. I know the name Gary is hugely popular for a mystery snail name - from Spongebob Squarepants again - and other names like Mrs. Puff for puffers, Mr. Krabs for anything crab related, and so on.

Yes they are just regular goldfish, cost me 95p each! They've grown about an inch since I had them and are going on 2inches now. I am looking to upgrade their tank now, even though imo they are in a big enough space but they have to grow so it will soon enough not be big enough. Do you think my new one is defo an oranda? It's hard to tell I know if she's just a fan tail or not but might be useful to know for tank sizes in the future.

Fantails and orandas both get big with the right conditions, I'd give 15 gallons for her and at least 20 gallons each for the other two, a 55 gallon tank, about 225 litres, is what you need to get, and you can't really wait for them to 'grow into it'. Goldfish release growth hormones into the water and if there's not enough water and water changes it causes stunting, they don't have a fixed 'grows this much per month' like say a breed of dog puppy, their growth is directly related to their diet and their water quality. My orandas currently have 23 gallons each and one of them is only an inch long! Your fish will also be much happier and more active in a bigger tank. You'll actually find it cheaper in the long run to just buy the final tank size if you can afford it, I've done the whole 'grow into, upgrade a bit at a time' and I've spent so much more money than I needed. Definitely look into second hand, I just bought a 47 gallon tank with cabinet that's ?430 new for ?150 on ebay, the new tank I was looking at was only 32 gallons and was ?125 without a cabinet.

What size do you currently have them in?

You might eventually need to separate the fantail from the commons as they will be much faster and much more boisteous than her and she might not be able to compete for food. Wait and see, CO_Goldies' brother keeps a black moor with his koi carp and it does fine.

Yeah I know all about them growing regardless of the size of the tank, it's more that I don't think I can fit a massive one in plus I have to move it in July to another property so it needs to be a carryable size really. I think 55 gallons sounds OK, I am researching them on ebay right now to see what's available.

Any thoughts on a name?

(Actually 55 gallons is not ok. I'm not very high on money or space, it'll have to be smaller unfortunately).

Edited by Goldfish Carer

I know what you mean about moving, I move every summer and the tank is a bit of a pain. :( To be honest dimensionally there's not much difference between my 24 gallon and my 47, about 10cm in each direction, but it does take up the whole back seat of the car and the price does go up, I spent 2 months hunting before I found my tank :(

What are they in at the moment?

I like Cosmo or Morse!

If you could get maybe more pictures?......it looks like you may have a new coloration that is starting to show up called "tiger stripes" it's just a black and red but the black is in more "stripe" formation......

Also pictures will help with identifying if it's an Oranda or a Fantail.

I like Cosmo or Morse!

If you could get maybe more pictures?......it looks like you may have a new coloration that is starting to show up called "tiger stripes" it's just a black and red but the black is in more "stripe" formation......

Also pictures will help with identifying if it's an Oranda or a Fantail.

Hi here's some pictures, I think I want it to be a her until I can be defo sure! Click the picture for a slideshow.

th_DSC01234.jpg

P.S. I actually got a pic of the stripey side :D

Edited by Goldfish Carer

I'll try a few that I've researched that match up with calico:

Texie, Catie, Tortie, Shellie, Liberty, Media, Consi, Ty, Cali, Odessa, Millie, Millsy, Tilly, Sansy, Buena, Skies.

Hope you find one from here! :)

She definitely looks like her breeder was going for the "tiger stripe" pattern.....

And until we see some head growth, I am going to go ahead and say she's a fantail. She could stay a fantail, turn into a ryukin, an oranda, or maybe a cross!

The surprise is half the fun!!

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!Camelot is 1 of my favorite movies OF ALL TIME :heart:heart:heart And I do not know why I coud not spell the name earlier :doh11: AND,to add insult to injury,spell check turned my 'orandas' into 'oranges',which it always does,but I did n't catch it today! :krazy: