What The Is Going On

M*gic

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My pearlie and black blind ranchu are too hard to resist... I often scoop them (still under water) and kiss their bellies, so my mouth is completely under water... :whatjust:

But again, my pearlie and black ranchu are in the healthy group so I hope I can continue to kiss them lol

I remember CountryLovah, it was around 228 litres or 60 US gallons... so I did 23 (22.8) teaspoons for the tank... and just now I added 15 teaspoons. So the current dosage in my tank right now is 38 teaspoons, and you want me to add to 60 teaspoons to match the dosage you guys in USA use?? :o Seems like a lot of salt!

Yep, that's what we were trying to instruct you.:) Seems like it but it's effective enough to destroy the ectoparasites. It's why we quarantine new goldies in small tanks to conserve the treatments but in large tanks, we sometimes don't have a choice.

I admit this is the first time I heard someone kissing a fish literally.wacko.gif

YEP! I know it does seem like a lot of salt but trust us, it works for parasites! :exactly

Remember the goal is to bring the amount of salt to 180 teaspoons over a period of approx 24-36 hours.. It doesn't have to be perfect.. Just in the end make sure you have 180 teaspoons of salt in there!

And this is the part where it gets tricky doing water changes. Because as u REMOVE water, you are removing salt.. So its best to write down EXACTLY how much u take out and put back in. That way you know the exact number of salt that is always in there!!!

And seriously... I really would stop kissing the fish. And putting ur face in the tank!!!!!!! That can't be good!!!!

LOL I am starting to think the sick group lack my kisses that's why they are sick. I often kiss my pearlie and black ranchu because they're round and so cute...

On the other hand, the slender body types like my lionhead, bubble eye and juvenile red cap oranda are not so cute, although they're not bad looking... and they make big water splash when I scoop them near the surface...

I hope to post pics soon :)

No edit button here?

Actually I forgot to say this, there was another piece of fin lying on the sand, definitely from the tail of my bubble eye as it's orange. Just as I was gonna take it out of the tank, here came the red ranchu thinking it was food and quickly sucked it into his mouth and just enjoyed that piece of fin!! I observed him for quite some and he definitely did not spew it out.

Now is it dangerous for him? That's after all a rotting, falling piece of fin from parasite-infected fish.

my question is: is there a chance I am the one distributing infections/ parasites through my mouth? lol but of course, my pearlie is fine/ healthy.

I overlooked this thread that should answer your question. Human to fish transmission although the reverse is more well known.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/64078-can-people-transmit-diseases-to-fish/

No edit button here?

Actually I forgot to say this, there was another piece of fin lying on the sand, definitely from the tail of my bubble eye as it's orange. Just as I was gonna take it out of the tank, here came the red ranchu thinking it was food and quickly sucked it into his mouth and just enjoyed that piece of fin!! I observed him for quite some and he definitely did not spew it out.

Now is it dangerous for him? That's after all a rotting, falling piece of fin from parasite-infected fish.

Any fish in contact with parasite-infected ones, are at high risk of parasite transmission. Just treat everyone altogether.

Just update...

- After reading " When To Throw Out Fish Food?" thread, I chugged my all my pellets (opened 6 months ago), my frozen foods and bought new ones today.

- The sick group all ate today. My lionfish ate from my finger although it was a puny little scrap and she hasn't eaten for 4 days now. The juvenile red cap oranda found gems on the sandbed when I sank 3-4 of the hikari pellets, just in time before the red ranchu spotted them. And the bubble eye also ate Hikari Lionfish sinking pellets (4 of them!!!) wow... I'm happy.

- I have upped the salt dose to 45 teaspoons now (I have to hit 60).

Will post pics soon from my pitiful camera. :) Don't have batteries.

Oooohhhh..It's easy to overlook the expiration dates and period of time usage of some foods. Glad you figured that out and the fish are eating well now!:) Why didn't we see this one before? Doh!

Thanks mate you and CountryLovah've been very informative so this long...

I just have to keep in mind they're still sick although they're eating now. The lionhead seems to want food, the problem is the painful mouth that she got from slamming onto side glass of tank should affect her appetite. From top I can see the mouth is slightly disfigured.

It's like trying to eat after getting punched in the mouth (I experienced it and it took me a lot longer to finish a bowl of soup noodle that I usually finished in 10-15 mins) :D

Edited by nakedsnake

A bit of update,

Sick group:

- My lionfish is swimming relaxed now, but would not accept any food. She comes to the surface and do the begging although not as enthusiastically as she used to be, but when I shove foods into her mouth, she blows water out of her mouth to reject it. But she's not darting around the tank anymore. She seems relaxed except when I come near the tank... and she freaks out, but she's always been like that. Breathing is close to 100% normal, no hard breathing. But I'm concerned she wouldn't take any foods now... it's nearly 5 days and she ate a very small piece of food. What should I do?

- My juvenile red cap oranda is eating now, but would not take foods from me directly. I would sink some Hikari pellets and she would enjoy them. Still darting around the tank at times, but is not breathing as hard anymore.

- Bubble eye seems not improving, he is still affected by the parasites and was upside down one time today and shaking like a person overdosed on drugs. Eyes seem normal but don't seem to recognize me when I come near, or sinking foods.

Healthy group:

- My pearlie shows a bit sign of being parasite-infected but still acknowledges me and interacts with me... still eating and playing. I notice he cannot stand the juvenile oranda and every time she comes near, he chases her off.

- My black ranchu shows no sign, since he's blind, I doubt he knows what is going on. lol

- Red ranchu is doing fine, eating and dominating foods.

Will post pics when I get some AAA batteries.

Edited by nakedsnake

Regarding your lionhead, I'd try the following if available.

1. Bloodworms

2. Gel foods

3. ProGold-They just claimed it's soft and mushy so I thought I'd point this one anyway. No experience on this one yet.

Maybe add garlic to the food as well to entice her to eat.

Have you done a water change today?

Maybe I'm missing something, but shouldn't they be treated with Prazi too, not just salt?!
I assumed he already did after Sue advised him to. Hmmm...

:exactly

Were you able to find Prazi nakedsnake? You should definitely treat with it as well as salt to rule out flukes which is a strong possibility here!

Also I think u can increase ur salt a bit faster at this point.. You said ur up to 45 teaspoons right now correct? To get the salt to a level which is effective for most parasites u will need to get the salt up to the 180 teaspoons. (That's salt at 0.3%.... 60 teaspoons is salt at 0.1% which can be used as a treatment but is not strong enough to kill the parasites).

I just bought frozen bloodworms yesterday, what a coincidence... okay I will try

Erm... I read about Prazi but I thought I can use my goldfish salt instead? That's why I have not used Prazi at all. What is Prazi? :D D: Is it salt? If I use Prazi is it still necessary to increase the salt still to 0.3%? So you guys recommend I use BOTH goldie salt (to 0.3%) and Prazi as well? How do I administer Prazi?

Condition with my bubble eye seems worse... the bright orange is replaced with dull orange, and when I look from the top, her body has blackness from inside the body... from bright orange like citrus, it becomes blackish dull orange colors...

Are you guys sure by increasing the salt to 0.3% and using Prazi they can recover? :(

Good news is the parasites seem to have no effect on the healthy group... although I can see very very slight signs of itchiness on the red ranchu... my pearlie can have prolonged stay at one spot of inactiveness just hovering still but I don't think he's affected, my black ranchu is the only one showing no signs of being affected.

Erm... I read about Prazi but I thought I can use my goldfish salt instead? That's why I have not used Prazi at all. What is Prazi? :D D: Is it salt? If I use Prazi is it still necessary to increase the salt still to 0.3%? So you guys recommend I use BOTH goldie salt (to 0.3%) and Prazi as well? How do I administer Prazi?

Condition with my bubble eye seems worse... the bright orange is replaced with dull orange, and when I look from the top, her body has blackness from inside the body... from bright orange like citrus, it becomes blackish dull orange colors...

Are you guys sure by increasing the salt to 0.3% and using Prazi they can recover? :(

Good news is the parasites seem to have no effect on the healthy group... although I can see very very slight signs of itchiness on the red ranchu... my pearlie can have prolonged stay at one spot of inactiveness just hovering still but I don't think he's affected, my black ranchu is the only one showing no signs of being affected.

Prazi is not salt. It is a medication that kills parasites (flukes), it's very gentle on your fish and they will be fine with .3% salt and Prazi, we've all done it to our fish. We wouldn't tell you to do something we wouldn't do for our fish. All your fish need to be treated for flukes, they are rampant in all pet stores, regardless of how nice they may be.

The blackness on your bubble eye sounds like an ammonia burn. Large frequent water changes will help.

I tried bloodworms to the lion and she sucked them and appeared to enjoy them like "mmmmmm worms" and then she spat them out. Same with the bubbleeye, she is not eating by all means, she's breathing through mouth and I sink the worms near the mouth and they're all sucked in by that strong vacuum... the funny part was her eyes widened as if to say "hmmm these are food inside my mouth" :rofl she appeared to enjoy them too for a moment but just when I thought she's swallowing them, she spat the worms out.

What should I do? They're not eating at all...! The juvenile red cap oranda is eating though.

I called my local LFS and they don't have Prazi, but have similar medicinal tablets to destroy flukes and tapeworm. They're not liquid... is prazi the best brand?

And I'm having doubts as to whether I should match you guys in USA' dose of salt. You use 1 tablespoon = 1 gallon, here I use 1 tablespoon = 2.6 gallon. Could it be differences in salt contents, the content of the salt I use are as follows: Sodium chloride, magnesium sulphate, calcium sulphate, potassium chloride, potassium bromide, strontium chloride, sodium biphosphate, sodium bicarbonate, sodium thiosulphate, acriflavine. Maybe the contents here is stronger? I cannot imagine no matter where you are, USA, Europe, Asia, the difference in dosage could be that significant. That's 1 : 2.6 ratio, 2.6 x stronger. Or are the contents the same? If yes, I will be willing to add to 180 teaspoons like CountryLovah said. Right now, it's at 60 teaspoons.

Thanks guys for replying to thread :)