What The Is Going On

M*gic

HELP!!! My fish are acting strange.

I've had my fish for half a year and they are all in perfect health. They're bubble eye, lion head, black ranchu, and one pearlscale.

Last month, I upgraded from 16" cube tank to 4' tank.

I've since added two new fish, one red ranchu and one red cap oranda.

---

Problem began when about three days ago, I found my lionfish swimming eratically, kind of a fish on the verge of dying... swimming and losing control of its body. But more disturbing is the way it swam is like a feeder goldfish being fed to a piranha, the kind of fish that is SCARED of something... like escaping and RUNNING from something for his life. I have to say running... as my lionfish is not like other lionfish with ranchu-like round body, but it has slender build and is very fast.

So three days ago, I found him swimming/ running as if a imaginative piranha is chasing him from behind and he's running for his dear life... it got to the point where he's swimming so fast and just crashing into the tank glass. He can crash to the side tank or sometimes when swimming fast, he took a sharp turn downward and like a torpedo crashing into the sand head first. Then he began shaking (I mean shaking like a person in terrible cold) and showing signs of fish on its final moment. I thought he'd die for sure, I don't know what to do as he sure looks like he's gonna die, so I just decided to let him be and would just net him out of the tank when he dies.

Turns out, the next morning there he goes I found him swimming normally and breathing normally, or at least more in control and is aware of his surroundings... he's syphoning the sand like usual... although he's still breathing at a faster than normal rate. But definitely much better than its previous day's state when he was I thought on the verge of dying (at one point it was upside down literally).

BUT... it's not over! About some hours later, it began the symptom again... I really started to think it's possessed by a demon like Emily Rose... just totally swimming around and destructing himself. It has been like this every since...

THEN... yesterday I found out my bubble eye was catching the same symptom!!! It was also swimming eratically... from just hovering at one place to a jolt of shock of swimming. It really looked as if someone has just electrocuted the water or something that I looked around the tank to make sure there's no silly cord near the tank or something. Of course, I don't think it's because of electrocuted... as all the fish in the tank would have been affected. Then... after a few hours, it began to be normal and it started to feed again from my hand.

My lionfish continues to refuse food although I was happy on the second time I feed them, he emerged to the surface and "begged" for food. I quickly took a soaked pellet and shove it right into his mouth, usually he'd eat like crazy. But this time, he didn't really take it and swam to the bottom again, and for the rest of the day went on the same crazy dying pattern.

TODAY... I found my bubble eye to have the symptom worse than yesterday. Again, as if someone has just electrocuted the water, it kept on swimming in the pattern: relax at one spot then all of a sudden swim around like it's on the verge of dying... then relax again, and then swimming around literally...

And ocassionally I found my pearscale also swimming like he's being chased by his imaginative ghost from behind him... but not to the degree of crashing to the tank glass or swimming like it's on the verge of death... and I thought he's showing this only when he swims near the lionhead who what I think to make the impression to be chasing my pearl... so my annoyed pearl would just "run" off from him. But the strange thing is, my black ranchu is totally not affected, my newest fish red ranchu is also not affected at all.

WHAT THE22 IS WRONG WITH MY FISH???? PLEASE HELP!!!!

Some things to note:

- Although I don't have water tester to test the water, I always prioritize water quality for my tank. I use tap water but always prepare the water at least 24 hrs in advance and condition it with tap water conditioner and aquarium salt for goldfish. I always use the right portion for both. When they were in the 16" cube tank, I didn't have strong filter, so I used to change the water (10%) everyday because the tank was too small and the nitrate, nitrite and ammonia level build up was eased dramatically by water change every day. They were happy fish.

- Now I have a strong Aquis 1200 canister filter and I still do 15% water change twice in one week.

- The symptom with my lionhead began before I introduced my newest fish the red ranchu, so although I don't have a quarantine tank for new fish, I don't think he would cause it.

- I feed my goldfish with my fingers... otherwise my slower fish (like bubble head who can only see upward, black ranchu who have no eyes) would have no chance to compete with my lionfish, my pearlscale. So I feed all of them with my hand/ finger to make sure they all get equal/ enough share for themselves. Before I feed my fish, I wash my hands with soap and rinse them thoroughly to make sure there's no trace of soap on them.

- To note about my lionfish, he is what I call "aloof"... while my other goldies like to interact with my hand whenever I feed them, he just grabs bites off my finger and just runs off from me as if I was his enemy. Very very occasionally he enjoys my finger softly tapping his head, etc... so I usually just feed him and leave him alone. So even when he was healthy/ normal back then, he has this habit of "running" or totally jetting off away from me... he knows he can come to me for food but maybe one of those fish who's scared of humans and is never going to adjust. I wouldn't be surprised if someone caught him in the wild in some goldfish river or something. He's wild and the true opposite of tame. He's been like this, but the difference is now he's not only running like crazy, he's "dying" too.

WHAT IS WRONG??? PLEASE HELP IF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCED THIS BEFORE.

P.S. Since this morning, my bubble head has been swimming like my lionhead in the past three days, and now my bubble head is also breathing hard. It was swimming on his side at one point, at a state as if he just escaped from the jaws of a saratoga fish and is now reeling from the "shock" and is now on the sand looking like fish at their final moments. At one point, he was also sucked into the filter strayer... but not like totally dead... and shook himself loose. And when I check my other fish, my black and red ranchu, my pearlscale are totally fine. And now my lionhead is not swimming eratically, but appear to be chasing my pearscale as if he's got a vendetta. He's chasing only my pearscale and leaves other fish alone.

Edited by nakedsnake

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi nakedsnake,can you please answer all of the questions in the box above? The mods and helpers(I'm neither) will need it to make any diagnosis of your fish.Also,posting pictures is a BIG help :exactly Someone will be able to help,I'm sure.........

Thanks kukana d, but I don't have water testers to test the water parameters, etc.

I know I keep a very good water quality for my fish. I use tap water, but again like mentioned in original post, I prepare the water one day in advance and condition it with tap water conditioner and salt aquarium for goldies.

- It's a 4' tank with 6 fish (lionhead, bubble eye, red cap oranda, pearlscale, black ranchu and red ranchu). All are considered juvenile (the largest is the lionhead at 4") and in no way in adult big size like the ones seen in goldies show.

- I use Aqua One Aquis 1200 canister filter.

- I change 15% water twice every week

- I feed my fish all kind of varieties: hikari pellets (3 types), cheap goldie pellet (don't know what brand), community fish frozen food, goldie frozen food, vegie frozen food and occasional fruits like oranges. For pellets, I always soak first to avoid the stomach problem.

- As for any new fish addition, my 4 fish (lionhead, bubble eye, pearlscale, and black ranchu) lived happily in the small 16" cube tank. They were all healthy and always ate from my hands, played and interacted with my fingers. They lived in it for about 4-5 months. One day though, my pearlscale showed signs of this symptom where he looked in tremendous fear of something. He was swimming like crazy and trying to escape something like it was being chased by a piranha trying to eat him. I figured it was probably my Logitech booming bass speakers, so I intentionally stomped my foot on the ground to see if an effect of sound/ vibration could be the cause of his fear. And he was responding to my foot stomping with fear too. So I scooped him with my hands (not out of water) and calmed him down. And ever since, he was fine and never showed the same problem/ anything close to it. They're perfectly healthy as far as I'm concerned.

About 2 weeks before I moved them into the 4' tank, I added the juvenile red cap oranda and the old fish and new one never showed anything against each other, but the tank was definitely getting crowded, so 2 weeks later, I moved them into a bigger 4' tank.

And they have lived there for one month until about three days ago, I noticed my lionhead (usually active syphoning the sand or swimming arouund avoiding me) began his symptom of lying on the sand. At first, I thought he was just resting, so I decided to leave him alone. But then a few hours later, after shower, I came back to my room, and to my shock, my lionfish swam in every direction like a rocket, like a fish being chased by a ghost, like a piranha just took a good bite out of him. Imagine a person being bitten by a poisonous snake, the person is lying, clutching at his heart, and shaking uncontrollably... it's just like that and worse, he can't control his swimming, and since he's a lionhead with a slender body type (not the round type) he swims very very fast... so he swims head first onto the tank side glass, and I can literally hear a loud thud from the impact each time... I really thought he was dying. Everything else is described in the original post above.

Then just yesterday, I added the red ranchu... so it couldn't be the red ranchu infecting the lionhead, nor could the red cap oranda.

- And I don't think it's the water either, because my other fish (pearlscale, red ranchu, black ranchu) are perfectly healthy/ fine. They still feed, and play with my hands. Only affected fish are lionhead and now it seems the disease is worse on my bubble eye, today I've seen him swim on his side, upside down (just like a dead fish). But I have seen many dying gold fish before, and although from afar they look like goldfish on the verge of death, when you look up close, they have normal eyes, fine scales... no change of colours, no signs of disconnection with their surroundings... I can tell they can still see me, only they're not responding to me like they usually did (they always thought I'm food). My juvenile red cap oranda is also showing signs of breathing hard, but again, when I look at my pearlscale, red ranchu, and black ranchu, they're breathing normally and fine.

- I don't think it's my fingers or me touching them that could cause this. Again, the affected fish are the lionhead and bubble eye, who have been feeding off my hands/ fingers for the apst 4-5 months.

- It's to note, I live in Australia and it's scorching hot here, nearly 40 C every day. I don't have chillers, but constant water change and tank aeration and considering my room always gets sunlight only in the morning, it's pretty normal temperature here. I dip my finger into the tank, it's definitely within the parameter for goldfish. Again, I've fed my goldies with my fingers for the past 4-5 months, I'd like to think I'd know when the water is too hot for them to live.

The condition:

- My lionhead is not swimming like it's dying anymore, but it's definitely still not recovered yet... it's still swimming out of shock/ fear/ jolt of something... it often rests on the sand but still swims forward all of a sudden like someone just shocked him from behind or something... and still breathing faster than a normal healthy goldie should...

- The worst condition right now is with my bubble eye, he's swimming forward without using his left and right fins, just swimming forward, be it to the surface, down, side... and upside down at times... He's usually very interactive with me thinking I'm food.

- My juvenile red cap oranda is showing signs of breathing hard, and for the first time ever, he did not come to the surface when I fed the tank.

So I have a group of three sick fish and a group of healthy fish. The sick group seems to be in the left side of the tank, and the healthy group always swims near surface waiting for me to pass the tank to give food, or just chomping at the duck weed. The healthy group also (I noticed) seems to avoid the sick group as they swim eratically and just bumped whoever in front of them. So the healthy group chooses to swim in the right side of the tank.

Okay... this is gonna be a long one so get ready! lololol

First of it's good that u came to us for help! Hopefully we can get your issues sorted out in no time! ;)

I see that you've answered the majority of the questions in the box. If you wouldn't mind at some point it may still be helpful to copy and paste the exact questions and fill them out in that format. Just helps sometimes if we need to skim through! :-)

Now.. there a few problems I see here that are most likely causing the behavior in your fish. The good news is, I feel that with the right instructions u will be able to fix this in no time! :-)

The major issues I see are water quality, no test kit and possible parasites due to no QT procedure.

1) Water quality.. I see that u take excellent care of your fish and are trying your very best to prove them with good water conditions. The problem is that MOST PEOPLE DO NOT REALIZE that goldfish are SUCH messy fish and such HIGH waste producers that they generally require a 50% or more water change WEEKLY. Even your two 15% changes a week are not adding up to that. So first step is to up that amount

2) TEST KITS.. They are SOO important.. Even when the water LOOKS clean... there is no way to be SURE that the water is safe without them. It is SO important to know the levels of ammonia, nitrite nitrate and PH. If any one of these levels are off, it can be the very reason ur fish are acting sick or GOING to act sick. I recommend the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. IF you cannot afford a test kit right now, can u take a sample of your water to a pet store and have them test it and write down the results (actual numbers. not just "okay)

3)Quarentine & Parasites. Pretty much ANY time u get new fish u are taking the chance that u are introducing parasites into your tank. Most fish from the stores we buy from carry SOMETHING... Its almost inevitable. The very best thing u can do is to assume that they carry parasites and treat ALL goldfish with Salt and a medicine called Prazi. These two things eliminate MOST parasites and should be used it all new fish, and on all fish that have never had them b4.

The behavior u are describing is CLASSIC parasite behavior..The darting around the tank is called flashing and the fish will do this to scratch themselves and try to rid themselves of the parasites.. The trouble breathing can be a result...NOt all parasites are visible to the eye. Some are, but others you cannot see without a microscope.

New fish (even fish that are NOT carrying a new parasite) can stress the OLD fish and a stressed fish is susceptible to parasites, even when they did not have them before. So it is very possible that the parasites were there all along, but simply adding new fish caused the outbreeak.

Its hard to tell. But the first thing to do here is 1) test the water and then 2) perform a large water change. Use temperature matched water and treat with a dechlorinator like Prime or Aquasafe. They are MUCH easier than allowing the water to sit out for 24 hours when u are dealing with a large tank (I am assuming that ur tank is a 55 gallon based on the fact that it is 4 foot... if you could get exact measurements that would be great, or a number of gallons).. Water conditioners make the water safe immediatly.

Which reminds me.. Fancy Goldfish need 10 gallons of water EACH. IF your tank IS a 55 gallon, and u have 6 fish, you are technically overstocked. Not by a lot.. But do NOT get any new fish. (No matter how adorable they are). Trust me.. I've found that I like to give my fish even MORE than 10 gallons if possible! :-)

The next step here is going to be to SALT and treat with Prazi... We can give you step by step instructions on how to salt, and help you find where to get prazi as well...

Let me post this and give u a chance to catch up. Then I (or someone else) can answer any more questions and help with the salt/prazi.

I totally agree with Countrylovah. Classic Parasite behavior! But as Sue said you need to get a reading on those water params. Since you don't have a test kit, your local fish store should test your tank water for you, just take them a sample. Before you add anything to your tank you need to know your water params.

Thanks CountryLovah and Maceo for helping. Looks like parasites then, I just changed 10% water and I plan to do 10% water change everyday for the next one week at least to see if it improves their condition. Whatever it takes to battle parasites!

Strange my pearlscale, black ranchu and red ranchu (aka the healthy group) are not affected by the parasites at all it seems.

I turned on my Logitech speakers again, and the sick group seemed so affected by the bass I had to turn it down, the healthy group is not affected at all.

My bubble eye seems to be doing better today :) he doesn't swim upside down or shake uncontrollably.

Should I clean my canister filter? Haven't been cleaned for one month?

But I feel it kinda defeats the purpose of this 4' tank. I thought by moving them to a larger tank, I shouldn't have to do the water change everyday as it is bigger in volume and the canister filter is the 1200Aquis, pretty powerful. 50% water change every week for a large tank seems a lot of work. I knew (when they were in 16" cube tank), I had no choice but to do water change everyday because the tank was small and the build up is an everyday thing. But are you sure I have to do 50% water change every week even when my fish condition improves? I thought the canister filter would do the majority of the work? :(

P.S. Instead of epsom salt/ prazi, can I just add the ratio of the aquarium salt? For 15 lt water in the bucket, I always put what it says 1.5 teaspoon... I just put 2 teaspoons :P

Edited by nakedsnake

FIRST THING WHICH IS VERY VERY IMPORTANT!!!!

The salt that u must use for Ich/parasites is NOT EPSOM SALTS but aquarium salts or the like. Here is a link which will help explain ur salt options, and the salt process as well..

http://www.kokosgold...876-using-salt/

I will post this now, then come back and add to it. I don't want this to go unnoticed! If u used that much epsom salts u would have very very very sick fish!

FIRST THING WHICH IS VERY VERY IMPORTANT!!!!

The salt that u must use for Ich/parasites is NOT EPSOM SALTS but aquarium salts or the like. Here is a link which will help explain ur salt options, and the salt process as well..

http://www.kokosgold...876-using-salt/

I will post this now, then come back and add to it. I don't want this to go unnoticed! If u used that much epsom salts u would have very very very sick fish!

I just changed 10% water and I plan to do 10% water change everyday for the next one week at least to see if it improves their condition. Whatever it takes to battle parasites!

Unfortunately, whatever it takes to battle the parasites is going to be LARGER water changes then that. I know it seems like a pain. Believe me I understand..

Let me tell my story.. QUICKLY (being quick is hard for me but let me give it a shot):rofl

I had some goldfish in a small bowl. I bought a 29 gallon tank thinking it was HUGE and that way I could have a BUNCH of goldfish!! I ended up with 6 and I did small water changes like u are doing. Things seemed fine at first. Then they all got sick. All but one died and the last was weakened so badly from the struggle with Ich that a bacterial infection took him soon after.

I don't tell u this to SCARE u. But I do tell you this because it's important to realize what small tanks and not enough water changes can do.

All I have learned about goldfish came from the same members of this board that are here now. And like u, I thought it seemed like it was too much work, or too high a % of water changes. But over time I realized how correct everyone on this board is. And in time, you'll see that too! You can read through the articles and we can help explain.

BUT... right now you just need to trust me! :rolleyes:

Because I don't want it to be too late for the fish! Yes.. you will need to do the 50% weekly changes.. But there are ways to make that easier, like buying a python for example. And simply doing 10% a day right now is not going to be enough... And last, you simply MUST get a test kit, or at the very least have ur water tested.

Oh You are absolutely right about the noise.. Sick fish need quiet. They need peace and sometimes its best to give them darkness..

Canister filters ARE GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!! EXCELLENT and many members use them and LOVE them (Personally I can't afford them! lol) But you can't really on them in place of water changes.. They do an excellent job circulating the water, removing particles and depending on what u have in them removing impurties from the water. BUT, the only way to remove nitrate, and organic buildup in general is through water changes and yes, cleaning the filter.

When u clean the filter u must remember a few things.. Do not rinse the media in plain tap water. You will kill off too many good bacteria. Also do not replace everything inside the filter at one time!

So for now... please get ur water tested and post back with the results ASAP.

From there we can help guide u in the proper amount of water to change out. In some cases of high emergency levels we recommend a full water change because the water is so toxic. And there is NO way to know that without getting the water tested. After your water change, you willl then need to get salt and tell us how big ur tank is exactly.. Then follow the steps on the salting link provided.

Another reason to test your water is because sometimes toxic water can cause the very same symptoms u are seeing right now! For example a fish in water with a very low PH will cause flashing and gasping! As will a fish in a tank with high ammonia levels.

Also the aquarium salt will not take care of the same parasites as the prazi. And judging from the fact that ur fish are not showing visible parasites, there is a GREAT chance that ur fish are infected with flukes. In that case, u will CERTAINLY need the prazi. (But again, I ALWAYS recommend prazi at least ONCE in ALL goldfish).

Also, some of the fish seem healthy now. But once a parasite infects some of the tank, its really only a matter of time before the rest get sick as well. So u do want to treat ALL the fish as if they are sick.

Last for now... its not a good idea to keep salt in the tank at all times.. Its best to save it for treating sickness..

I'll check back in on u later... Time for sleep now for me! :-)

Wow water change did some wonders... I did 10% water change twice today and the lionhead is now hanging out with the healthy group.

It's funny how they can decide to separate themselves into the sick group, usually hang out at the left bottom of the tank and the healthy group hanging out near surface and from middle to right section of the tank. :rofl

My lionhead is not scared when she sees me anymore, she sees me and comes to surface to beg for food! :) And I quickly soaked some hikari pellets and... although she doesn't eat, poor thing has her mouth slightly disfigured from the bump she suffers crashing mouth/ head first into side/ bottom glass of tank, darting everywhere... I guess she really wants to eat, but maybe she hasn't fully recovered yet, and the mouth has to hurt a lot, after some fails, I got her to eat some scrap of the pellet and she didn't throw it out, she chewed it right away and gulped it down... Some progress is made! At least she's showing her appetite and is now strong enough to swim at the surface and middle part of the tank with the healthy group, and not just sitting at the bottom left side of the tank with the sick ones.

As I type this though, she is darting everywhere again, although she is not crashing into the tank... I guess darkness really helps calm her down... (I was outside for the night for work and it's now midnight I turned on the lights in the room)...

I will do another 20% water change again I guess.

CountryLovah, by 50% water change, you mean 50% water change at once, or gradually? The 10% water change I do everyday means 70% (7 x 10%) water change by the end of the week, correct?

I will also clean my canister filter tomorrow... I know I have

I don't plan on buying any kits anytime soon, I might bring the water to be tested at my LFS tomorrow :gcar:

Great!!! Then water change it is... problem is I don't have that big of a container to do half of 4' tank water change at once... I only have a bucket to contain a max of 20 litres (which is around 10% or less of the tank volume).

Is it possible I do this 10% water change twice everyday?

Today though I see a piece of orange fin lying on the sandbed... :o I check and it's apparently from my bubblehead's orange tail... I suspect it's a fin rot... usually in perfect shape, now I can see on both of the tips of the tails it's torn and usually it was in clear orange color now I can see reddening from the veins on the tail...

How should I cure this??? Stick to 50% water change?

Edited by nakedsnake

Well there are two ways you can make the 50% change happen..

1) It's slow and a pain but use that one bucket u have. Empty the tank multiple times until its 50% full. Then fill one bucket at a time with TEMPERATURE matched water and add water conditioner to each bucket... Like i said, if u use water conditioner u dont need to let the water sit out.. Just make sure you feel the temp with ur hand so its the same.

2) You can get a python. They connect to ur sink and allow u to drain and fill directly from the sink. They are WELL worth it! :)

The fin rot u are seeing can be a result of parasites, poor water quality. So yes, ur first step in fixing that will be the weekly 50% water changes, WATER TESTS, and then using the salt (as per the link I gave u) and prazi. All of these things COMBINED will eventually lead to happy healthy fish. And all of these things are important for a different reason..

Remember water changes alone will not eliminate any parasites. They are veryimportant but it is also JUST as important that u test the water, and salt/prazi ur fish...

The 10% water change I do everyday means 70% (7 x 10%) water change by the end of the week, correct?

Not exactly... When u do this method it ends up being a smaller amount and the amount of new/old water becomes confusing. You do one 50% change at a time and u will end up saving urself a LOT of work and confusion in the long run.

^You're saying I don't need to prepare the water 24 hrs in advance? Just mix it well as long as temperature matches?

One question: would more aerating of the water in the tank help reduce parasites? My canister is doing a good job, but I make it so the output shoots up to the surface and creates turbulence of the water surface so more oxygen can penetrate the water...

The thing is that is only on the left side of the tank... the right side can be pretty still or stagnant... no current at all. I think it just came across to me that more water movement = less parasites? Or should I put it this way, "there's greater chance parasites inhabit stagnant water than water with more currents/ aeration"?

You're saying I don't need to prepare the water 24 hrs in advance? Just mix it well as long as temperature matches?

Exactly!!! The water conditioners are designed to work right away. For example the one I use is Prime. It's 2 drops per gallon.. When I am doing a small water change that is only one or two buckets I just add the right number of drops to the bucket, then fill with temperature matched water and its ready to go immediately... Or if you are doing a larger change you can dose based on the entire tank. Like... lets assume ur tank is a 55 gallon. Remove the old water, then add enough Prime or water conditioner of your choice to cover the total number of gallons in your tank. Then add it, THEN add the new water. Thats how I always do it when I use my python and it's fine.

would more aerating of the water in the tank help reduce parasites? My canister is doing a good job, but I make it so the output shoots up to the surface and creates turbulence of the water surface so more oxygen can penetrate the water...

Hmmm.... Good questions. I would like to see others people thoughts on this one. Im not 100% sure that the aeration alone will reduce the possiblily of parasites DIRECTLY. But, indirectly it might help in the sense that fish that are MORE stressed are more SUSCEPTIBLE to parasites. So a fish in an overstocked tank, or a tank with bad water quality, or a tank with low OXYGEN levels, would be more stressed and be more likely to allow parasites to take hold. So in a way, yes adding aeration would possibly help!

As for BACTERIA yes, you are ABSOLUTELY right. Its very important for circulation through out the tank and no stagnant areas, because that is the perfect breeding ground for bad bacteria!

So either way, more aeration is a plus! So long as the fish are not being pushed around so much by the current that they can't swim straight! lol

The key with parasites AND bacteria is keeping your fish as healthy as possible. A healthy fish can fight things off.. We do our best to eliminate the majority of parasites by using salt and prazi on all new fish. But there is always the change that u miss something. Or pass something between one tank to another. They key is keeping bacteria counts low, parasite count low, and keeping the fish in excellent water and health so that way they will be strong enough to fight off any attacks. Just like people with sickness... There is ALWAYS gonna be a chance that u catch a cold or flu. But a healthy person who eats well, exercises is going to be LESS likely to get seriously sick than say, someone who eats poorly and doesn't take care of themself. (And I guess thats why I end up with a billion colds each year... Cause I'd rather grab a burger at mcdonalds then eat well at home! Ooops! LOL)

Thanks CountryLovah, I can tell my tank dimension is 4' x 18" x 18", the sandbed is about 0.75" thick spread out, and from the surface of water to the top of the tank is about 1.75" and thickness of glass is 0.25". Can you measure my tank net water volume this way?

I also note that you guys do heavy dose in USA for salt. I don't know if it's just USA or just Australia lol, but here the recommended dose for salt is 1 level teaspoon for every 10 litres (which is about 2.6 US gallons). I know that you guys do 1 level teaspoon of salt for every gallon. That's 2.6 x stronger than what I do with my salt here. The salt I use is "Aquasonic" brand for goldies...

prod_48ec2e436ea07_NH230_Goldfish-Water-conditioner250gms.jpg.png

Some other things to note:

- I like to kiss my fish (literally), when they beg for food with their mouths at surface... so I kiss them in the mouth, especially my pearl who is just too cute to resist :heart he's like a mini roundball... I do this to every fish :rofl: but my pearlie most often... my question is: is there a chance I am the one distributing infections/ parasites through my mouth? lol but of course, my pearlie is fine/ healthy.

- My tank doesn't really have a cover for them to hide... it's just a porcelain glass and a pot of plant (forgot what's the name), there's nothing for them to hide behind... my question is: could a lack of hiding places cause a stress because they don't have "privacy"?

Edited by nakedsnake

It's your own health safety that would be more concerning than the fish's, hun. They tend to acquire mycobacteriosis which when transmitted to humans, may cause granuloma. It's not a pleasant experience. I woud not just attempt to 'kiss' a fish like that for that reason above. And no, I don't think there is human-to-fish transmission that I know of.

Having potted plants should make them feel secured enough. I would not worry about that. My tanks don't have much hiding places and my goldfish are absolutely fine socializing most of the time and even begging for foods (they're pigs after all).

^"Not pleasant"? Did you experience it yourself? :rofl:

Thanks for all the advice so far, guys. My plan is to double-increase the dose of the salt and see how it goes.

My question is would the double dose salt increase affect the healthy ones negatively?

I will post pics with my crappy camera when I get a chance to :)

Edited by nakedsnake

No. I've experienced primary complex however more than a decade ago.;) If you take a look at abstracts explaining what granuloma from handling myco cases is, you will find that it is not pleasant. Health issues are not pleasant and you do not have to experience that.

Up to three teaspoons per gallon is the max I'd do for goldfish. I haven't kept track much of this thread. How much salt have you added so far?

I had been doing the recommended dosage of 1 teaspoon = 10 litres/ 2.6 gallon.

Since I've been reading from the posts made by Trinket's salt thread, she's using 1 teaspoon = 1 gallon.

That's basically 2.6 x stronger than my salt dosage. And in treatment situations, Trinket basically says triple the amount over 36 hour period.

So my plan is to double the dosage to 2 teaspoons = 10 litres/ 2.6 gallon. Not yet to triple level... :D

Ahhh..I've done that before. Yes, we do add a teaspoon per gallon or 0.1% every 12 hours until we reach 3 teaspoon per gallon after 3 sets of salts added.

Yes basically the salt dose they give on the box is not the dose we use for parasite treatment....I always just tell people ignore the box and follow the salting instructions Trinket gives...

I put your dimensions into a tank volume calculator.. If ur measurements are correct the tank has a capacity of 67 gallons. However, your tank is NOT filled u say.. So let's assume ur tank is somewhere around the 60 gallon mark as a best guess. I would rather be UNDER than OVER.

Basically you would have WANTED to start out wth approx 60 teaspoons. Then it would have been 120 and at the final stage u would have a total of 180 teaspoons of salt in there, which is the same as 60 Tablespoons. So as long as u gradually up the salt until you have a total of approx 180 teaspoons (or 60 tablespoons) in there, you will be fine.

Eeek! I would NEVER kiss a goldfish... or any fish for that matter! That is a big health risk in my opinion. There's poo in the water, so there's going to be an amount of bad bacteria. Neither poo or bad bacteria are things you want in or near your mouth! There are diseases (although rare) that can be transmitted to humans through pet fish.