Marineland Filters

I have Penquins in all my tanks-just because when I got serious into not only my fish, but my TANK health-I didn't know much. I am slowly replacing them ALL!

I have one in my bowfront which around 30 gallons and I manage to keep that water clear and nice......but last night, the bio-wheel stopped moving and the water looks BAD! I hate these filters!!! :madrant Is there some secret to keeping that thing moving? I fart around with the filters in the box, and it just isn't helping. I know it is about the water flow, but I can't seem to get anything to make it better......which is why I have two Aquaclears coming for my bigger tank, but now I am thinking I need to change this one too.

Oh-and I hate the smaller one in one of the QT tanks too. HATE!

• Admin

Well I like them hun. Yep I have a problem from time to time keeping my bio Wheel going, But normally its cause filter floss is hitting it or there is slim in side the wheel hun.

I have two of them on my 50 gal tank, One of them has the filter media thats supposed to be in it, the other is my own mix of stuff. I think all filters have there pros and cons. I rinse my media out every week to keep it running right and replace when i notice that it will over flow no matter how much I rinse :o

Well I like them hun. Yep I have a problem from time to time keeping my bio Wheel going, But normally its cause filter floss is hitting it or there is slim in side the wheel hun.

I have two of them on my 50 gal tank, One of them has the filter media thats supposed to be in it, the other is my own mix of stuff. I think all filters have there pros and cons. I rinse my media out every week to keep it running right and replace when i notice that it will over flow no matter how much I rinse :o

I did just do a rinse in these......I have the cartridge and other floss in this particular filter....and it was doing really well! I know they are total crap filters, I just cannot keep them turning and more than willing to admit user error.....just wondering if I would have better luck without that wheel to worry about. My brother has them too and had no issue.....ugh, maybe I will go fart around them some more......thanks, Koko!

I love them. BTW the bio wheel does not have to turn to do its job. At least that is what the instuctions say that come with them. I have two of my 55 gallon. And just love them. I keep all sorts of stuff in mine. Floss, shells, balls, but no carbon or any of the things that come with it. lol

You don't even have to have the wheel you can take them off if they bother you that much.

I have larger gravel---not huge river rock type, but not tiny gravel. I don't get it.....totally open to constructive criticism here.....I am no water expert.....and it frustrated the heck out of me! I keep NH3, etc levels good, I rinse, etc....all that-but feel like I am missing something.

Who wants to fly out to Colorado and help me? Realllllly nice, here!!!

• Admin

Well are you water readings good hun? If so no worries at all.

If you dont like the idea of the Bio Wheel not turning right hun, and since you have gravel in the tank, I would just take it off. Then you could also get those media bags and out Bioballs in it and put that in the bottom of the filter and then put filter floss on the top. That would still act like a bio wheel that way. On mine I always have one wheel that turns once in awhile, while the other is always turning. :)

Yeah-the levels are good- so can you stack in those filters instead of the vertical way? does that ? make sense? The grooves in there for the cartridges can be ignored and you can just horizontal stack or do you have to still do it vertical for the flow of water......it is a good thing I married a mechanic if this is hard for me!

Shhessh!

i love my marineland filters..i have 2 penguins and 1 emperor..i LOVE the emperor...i also just use filter floss..i cut open the cartidges and just reuse the plastic tray...sometimes my bio wheel does stop spinning too tho...but its weird..(since i have 2) i just switch them and they work well. but really if you want the good HOB filters...go with marinelands emperor line...they come with a spray bar that sprays onto the biowheel so it ensures that it never stops spinning.

• 2 weeks later...

When mine slow down or stop turning, I take the wheel out and clean the purple holders really well with a q-tip. Usually some gunk got in there and after a good scrubbing everything is fine. Also, I notice when my water levels get lower the wheels slow down too. Hope that helps.

Best Regards,

Norm

Who wants to fly out to Colorado and help me? Realllllly nice, here!!!

Hmmmm... sounds tempting!!! :-)

I also have Penguins on all my tanks and I am happy with them for the most part. I've noticed that the 100's tend to have problems more than the larger ones. The water level has to be perfect and I have to make sure I am pouring water into the filter when it turns on or else sometimes the motor sticks on those.. But the larger models always seem to work well for me.

Aside from the normal problem with the gunk, I've also noticed that sometimes when the wheel stops turning you can just adjust the height of the cartridge. Pull it out a little higher than you normally would.. A lot of times for ME when they are shoved down as low as they can go the wheels stop, and when I lift them just slightly the wheels spin. I also have bags of biomax in mine, and sometimes when the baggie starts to stick out or the string from the bag comes out a little the wheels slow or stop. So usually if I poke and play around with the media the wheel will start to turn..

I have Aquaclears on my big tank now....so far, so good. I have the Penquin 350 on my 30 gal bowfront and it is doing well on that one....although my little fish get pushed around my the currant!

I'm running two AquaClear 70's on my 55 gal tank and I really like them. I've read a lot about the Marineland filters but never had any experience with those. So far the AquaClears are doing a nice job for me, no complaints. :)

I have one aqua clear and don't like it. It works fine but I worry about the motor falling off all the time and water getting everywhere. They also don't have enough space for media to suit me. Wont ever get anouther one.

• Admin

I have had Whispers.... they stink... I now have owned Penguins and i just love them. Yes the wheels will stop but they arent supposed to spin all the time, and they have alot of room in them to put what you want in them :)

Yes I love that they have so much room so you can really put whatever media you prefer in there and LOTS of it!!! :-)

One of my 100's has been a real pain lately and every time I unplug it for a water change it turns off. But its funny because all I have to do is smack it and it comes on. Sometimes it takes a few smacks! lol When I get money I will replace it, but for now lets hope I can keep smacking it to start LOLOL

I haven't used the Penguin filters, but I really like the Marineland Emperor filters.

I know that the Emperor filters have a little spray bar that sprays water onto the bio wheel. As long as the spray bar isn't clogged, the biowheel keeps turning. I don't think the Penguin filters have the spray bars in them though... I think the spray bar is the biggest difference between the two.

• Admin

Very true " A Penguin" I had one on my salt water tank and it was nice, only problem i had and thats cause theres a lot of calcium in a salt water tank was it did get clogged lol :) But I loved them too :)