Fungus?

walter

I have a Ryukin which has reoccuring white blotches on one tail fin and dorsal fin. All of my readings are fine and my tank always been ammonia free. With advice from my local fish expert i treated it by removing it with my fingers and swabbing on iodine. this seemed to work but also removed the color from the fins and now several weeks after treatment the white blotches are reappearing in the same areas as before. None of my other fish have any signs of anything and some are dark colors which would make this easy to see. Ihave high quality filtration and nothing in the tank to cause damage to the fish.Open to suggestions. THANKS

Welcome to Koko's!

Could you please add more details about this situation?

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

My suspicion is they could simply be stress spots that go away from time to time when the stressors are removed. Coulld you please include some photos of the affected areas? I would not treat with anything yet, not even iodine solution unless confirmed.

Welcome to Koko's!

Could you please add more details about this situation?

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

My suspicion is they could simply be stress spots that go away from time to time when the stressors are removed. Coulld you please include some photos of the affected areas? I would not treat with anything yet, not even iodine solution unless confirmed.

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.5

[*]Water temperature? 73 degrees

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55g

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? 1/aqua clear 70 and 1/110 aquaclear

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? water changes 20 percent weekly

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 5 fish between 2and3.5 inches

[*]Any medications added to the tank? With advice from my local fish expert i treated it by removing it with my fingers and swabbing on iodine. this seemed to work but also removed the color from the fins and now several weeks after treatment the white blotches are reappearing in the same areas as before.

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? a Ryukin which has reoccuring white blotches on one tail fin and dorsal fin

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? None of my other fish have any signs of anything and some are dark colors which would make this easy to see.

I filled up the data for you. Could you please fill in the remaining slots that are unanswered? We still need nitrite and nitrate, brand of test kit used, any conditioners, foods and if any fish has been added.

Do you have photos of the affected areas?

Edited by Lupin

Pond care test kit drops,feed twice a day New life spectrum pellets in mourning frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp in evening,nitrite 0,dechlor. only,this was first fish which cycled tank 7 months ago,this has been going on since before adding newcomers,acts and eats fine, do not have nitrate kit ,water is crystal clear,no other symptoms,do not know how to send photos. this is my first time on site and do not know where my listing is. THANKS AGAIN

Could this possibly be natural color changes? Some fish do undergo lightening and color changes that makes them look patchy. If he is behaving normally and has been behaving nromally for the entire 7 months since you first had him I would doubt this was serious.

You can take a picture and go to photobucket.com. Just join (its free) and then you press "Upload images and videos" and can choose the photo pic off your computer to upload to the photo hosting site.

Then the site uploads your pic and you will see it in your new album. Then you can either LINK us or you can drag and paste the whole link address from the IMG code box which is the 4th last little white box under your photo, you can see these best by first hovering your cursor over the photo.

I do not believe this is color change because the fins went clear only where the iodine was placed. Also the blotches were removed to some degree with my fingures. since posting the blotches seem to have lightened some as they do sometimes and in the past they seemed to get beter or worse almost daily. maybe it is stress buy you would not know it by watching him.

I see, well this is something that maybe best explained with a picture. The danger is in prescribing the wrong course of action. Sometimes one posters white spots are ich or fungal spores and another time they are bacterial lesions or color change or something else. Can you at least tell us the main body color of your fish? This will help with a visual.

Otherwise, if as you say they partially rub off it could be fungal spores, especially in a pond fish. Fungal spores attach to stressed fish but are in all water, especially pond water.

The color is pure white body eccept for even orange markings behind the eyes and all fins are orange. He is a short tailed beauty. I know it is supposed to be red and white but believe me he is orange and white.

Sorry but computers are just not my thing and i cannot seem to figure out how to get my pictures on. but since i last posted my tank sprung a bad leak and i got a 72 gallon bow front tank which is excellent and started to plant it with sucess so far and am asking questions on the planted tank post under {looks like a lawn} please visit and give comments. My ryukins blotches may be becoming better but that might be just for today {he is making me nuts}.