Sign in to follow this  
kukana d

Morton Solar Salt?

Hi guys,I need to know if Morton water softening solar salt is ok to use It says 99.95% salt,and nothing about the other .05%.

Is this sodium chloride? With so many labels, I tend to be unsure of what I am dealing with. If sodium chloride, yes, it's fine.

I would only use aquarium salt, pickling salt, or rock salt. You can never be too careful and you never know what additives might be in the salt.

No,not lowering,just to treat the fish in qt.I recently got a 170g and to salt w/ aq salt is expensive for that! So at my lfs they told me I could use this.?

This is what I found on Morton's website:

White Crystal? Solar Salt

Morton? White Crystal? Solar Salt is 99.5% pure salt crystallized by the sun and wind from natural salt brine held in open ponds. This salt contains small amounts of insoluble particles from the environment that may need to be periodically removed from the brine tank.

I don't know about the insoluble particles bit, that's what I would be concerned over. Why are you treating the entire 170 gallon tank?

Because all 13 fish in there are new and I'm putting them through the qt bit. Also,my big orandas had gotten some white spots,that have started to go away w/ the salting(I've used API aq salt thus far-but bought 40 lb. bag of solar). In her thread,Trinket says that solar salt is fine,but she says they should all say 99.97% Na Cl-and as you saw,this just says 99.95%.That extra little .02% prodded my asking about it.

If Trinket says it's fine then I say use it! :exactly

I had never heard of it and wanted to make sure, it was investigated. :)

I really dont know what that small minus % is about. Maybe as Maceo says it doesnt evaporate as completely as other salts. I know solar salt is only 85% sodium chloride before evaporation.

I just hope they dont add magnesium but they are legally bound to say so if they do....

Rock and solar salts can affect gH and kH for good or bad all depending on your original kH and gH position.

I will just wait until Mon and call Morton directly,and ask. It definitely is not worth the risk to me :exactly I sure do have salt at my house-I bought 40 lb. of that,plus 2 boxes of kosher salt w/ that y anti caking agent in it,which I didn't realize until I opened 1 of them :cry:tomuch: Sorry,I don't mean to whine-it's been kind of a tough day :thumbdown

:k055:

How about starting a pickled vegetable business :teehee

LOL,Imo-thank you-it felt good to laugh :hug Or maybe a nice Jewish boy w/ hard water problems?

:rofl

No,not lowering,just to treat the fish in qt.I recently got a 170g and to salt w/ aq salt is expensive for that! So at my lfs they told me I could use this.?

Salt will usually increase GH & KH. Since the product you are asking about is labeled as "Water Softening" it must actually decrease the GH & KH. This is good if your GH and KH are already at the upper acceptable limits for the kind of fish you keep. That is why I asked you what your GH was. Goldies usually prefer 100-200ppm. So if your GH/KH was already well over 200, then yes, you would probably not want to increase it.

That being said, I personally have no experience with this product as I have very soft water as is. I went to the Mortons website. Direct quotes from their site...

Q: Which Morton products can be added directly to a koi pond or fresh water?

A: When salt supplementation is advised, Morton recommends using Morton® White Crystal® Solar Salt or Morton® Canning and Pickling Salt for fish ponds and fresh water aquariums, as these products do not contain additives. Note that it may be advisable to make a solution from the salt before adding it to the pond or aquarium. Please see your fish expert or veterinarian for the proper use of salt in a pond or aquarium. Back to Top

Q: Which Morton products can be added directly to a salt water aquarium?

A: For salt water fish, Morton recommends using commercially prepared seawater (marine) mixtures, as they should contain the proper ratio of trace minerals. Morton does not make a product specific for salt water aquariums. Morton® White Crystal® Solar Salt is not a sea salt obtained from evaporation of ocean water to dryness. It is a higher purity salt, and therefore cannot be used to make seawater for salt water fish without additional trace mineral supplementation. Please consult your fish expert or veterinarian for the proper use of salt in a pond or aquarium.

Edited by Jack of Hearts

Hooray! JOH saves the day! Get the man a cape! :D

THANK YOU SO MUCH,JOH :heart I had looked all over the place(or so I thought!),and not come across that :hmm So,it sounds like it's ok to use it if I keep an eye on ph,gh,and kh. I will have to test to see what my water is out of the tap. However,it does sound like this salt could be beneficial when using r/o water too,right?

This is what I found on Morton's website:

White Crystal? Solar Salt

Morton? White Crystal? Solar Salt is 99.5% pure salt crystallized by the sun and wind from natural salt brine held in open ponds. This salt contains small amounts of insoluble particles from the environment that may need to be periodically removed from the brine tank.

I don't know about the insoluble particles bit, that's what I would be concerned over. Why are you treating the entire 170 gallon tank?

Sounds like dirt and rock and such to me.

Correction on my last post-might possibly have to add Buff I t Up?

No,b/c I chickened out,and went and got some API aq salt. I do still,however,have a 40 lb. bag of the solar salt! I thought I might call Morton and ask about the .05% that is not salt :idont Do you have any further thoughts?

I thought I might call Morton and ask about the .05% that is not salt :idont Do you have any further thoughts?

Salt is always going to have some impurities. Solar Salt is produced in an open pond so it will always have impurities from the environment. It can be anything....dirt, sand, rocks, minerals, etc. Nothing really unusual.

Thank you,JOH :heart

You're welcome! :D

BTW, speaking of impurities, didn't Amy Mitchell have some really weird stuff inside her box of salt? :blink: