Storing An Empty Acrylic Aquarium

Melle

Hi--I haven't been here in a looooong time, mostly b/c I now have two kids. I'm thinking of taking down my aquarium. It's a 35 gal hex, acrylic, and the only things alive in it right now are two dojo loaches, about five years old, and some java fern. I rarely remember to feed the fish any more and changing out the water is a hassle. I'm not enjoying it, I just feel guilty when I see it.

My DH offered that we could store it in the garage for when I feel like setting it back up--might not be for >5 years though. I spent a lot of $ on the tank/filter/supplies so I'd be selling it at a big loss, but I hate to store it and find, when I decide to set it back up, that it leaks and can't be used for fish any more.

Should I store it or sell it?

I'm not sure about acrylic but my 75 gallon glass tank that i got off craigslist had been stored in a garage for two years and it was fine:) I say give it a shot...if you're going to lose money on it you may as well keep it:)

You've convinced me--I'll store it. I've already found someone who is interested in giving a home to my two dojo loaches. I'll miss their cute little faces but I never look at them any more.

I know I'll want to have fish again at some point, I love goldfish!

Thanks for the feedback :-)