Sign in to follow this  
devilduck

Wen Growth On Tail?

I noticed today that Mariko has a little fuzzy blob on her wen, my thought was 'yay, wen growth' then she turned around and there's a second fuzzy blob near her tail...I'm pretty sure orandas are not supposed to also grow jelly bottoms...

Amm - 0-0.25, I get 0.25 out the tap, the tank reading is somewhere between 0 and 0.25, the internal filter has only been fully cycled about a week and the canister was only started from new a week ago. The internal cycled from scratch, no seeding or anything, in 2 weeks, I've never seen it so fast!

Nitri - 0

Nitra - 5

She's had two Prazi treatments Tues and Weds, was going to do another two Sun and Mon then a big water change (poop vacs in between) and she's been at 0.2% salt for about 2 days now, putting up to 0.3% tonight.

No unusual behaviour, I've had her about 3 weeks now, she's a bit skitty about sudden movements near the tank but that's it, eats very well, I should have called her Dyson after the hoover. I wouldn't be offput by the fluff if there weren't the bit by the tail...I'll try and get some photos in a bit.

She's in a 24 gallon tank by herself, bare-bottom tank with only a few java ferns in pots.

Guest Kelsang

Maybe it's a tumor of some sort?

I really hope it's a wen!

Edited by Kelsang

I don't think it's a tumor, Tigger had a tumory lump and this literally looks like a piece of fluff. I did wonder if this might somehow be related to something that popped up on Tigger, she did have a piece of fluff in the same place for about two days, I never figured out what it was, but the tank and the flowerpot were left to dry completely for two weeks, the flowerpot was also covered in boiling water a few times, the filter sponges are completely new and the bio media was boiled. There shouldn't be anything left in the tank from when Tigger was in there. I don't know if they're related or not. Mariko doesn't really have a very extensive wen and she's about 4 inches long in body, but that doesn't mean it won't grow any bigger.

Sarah, is it on the tail fins or the body? If its on the actual body I would probably leave it alone personally. These stress fuzzy spots disappear when the fish calms down, gets good water and good nutrition.

If its on the tail, it is very easy to wipe down with a topical application of iodine or something.

Hows things today? Not spread?

Maybe it's a tumor of some sort?

I really hope it's a wen!

That's a really cute vid :D

The fuzzy tail bit was on the body near the base of the tail. It's gone today, there's still a bit on the wen but I'm not 100% sure it's not on the other side to yesterdays...is there anything I can do about it? The water's good, she gets saki-hikari pellets, and the only thing I can think might be stressing her is being in such a big tank on her own. I was thinking of raising Rusty's salt to 0.3% over the next few days and then adding him to the big tank and keeping salt in there for another week. I've not seen anything to worry me about Mariko other than the stress spots and she'll have had four doses of Prazi before he goes in....what do you think?

Yep sounds good.

Fish get these spots in stress and they clear up in good care. It is always best to watch them and wait as you did.