Sign in to follow this  
kukana d

Oh No,spots!

A couple of days ago,I noticed some white spots on my big,new black and white oranda's tail :oops: But I partially dismissed it in my own mind,telling myself ha he's got white on his tail :krazy: Now I am noticing he's got a spot or two on his dorsal fin as well :o Also,the spots are just on 1 side of him.I have salted that tank,w/ the 13 new babies,to .01%. Yesterday I went and got some water softening solar salt,in a 40 lb. bag,and it says 99.95% pure salt,is that ok? Will salt affect my cycle in that tank if I take it up to .03%.I built up a mega cycle in that tank,and I do not want to diminish it :exactly Does this look like ick or fungus? They have only been in there 8 days,but the cycle has held strong. Should I just try salt first? I am leaving town for 10 days next Friday,I would love to be able to complete any treatment before that :heart And,hopefully,that's not another 1 on his wen in pic #3 Thanks guys.......... DSCN1381.jpgDSCN1379-1.jpgDSCN1380-1.jpg

I'm having a bit of a hard time seeing it, but the one in his wen looks like wen growth to me. The other few spots could be ich. That is what I would guess if I were going to make a guess. If the cycle is strong it should be able to handle slow and careful salting. Beautiful fish. You are going to have to tell me where you do your shopping when I am ready to buy again.

Well that stinks hun BUT the good thing is....3% salt will kill the ick and get rid of fungus lol...my moor had some weird fluff on her dorsal and some on her tail (very similar to the spot on your oranda's dorsal). I posted on here and trinket said that the salt would help funugs...About four days after putting the main tank at .3% salt it was gone. Good luck..and yeah...where DO you get your fish!

I know exactly what you are seeing....as I have the same at time. It is a type of dermatitis, not necessarily ick! However, I would not salt until you give the ingrediants! Any anti-caking agents are bad! Need to check with Trinket!

I used Kosher salt and it subsided but it came back a few weeks later!

Can you post water params for me please? I've a theory!

Sorry,I know that is a bad picture of his wen-I just went to take another shot andALL of my big oranges have it now-and they did not when I last posted :krazy: Something is in there :doh11: The params are ph-7.4,amm-0,ni-0,an-high 20-that was this am. Do you guys think it's ick? Here's more pics: HELPPPPPPPP!DSCN1390.jpgDSCN1389.jpgDSCN1388.jpgDSCN1387.jpg

PS....All my babies come from Ken at DO :heart

http://www.mortonsalt.com/images/PRODUCTS/water_softening/water_soft_salt.gifProduct Locator

Contact Us

Careers

Online Store

PRODUCTS

RECIPES

HERITAGE

SALT FACTS

HOUSEHOLD TIPS

Water Softening

Home/ Products/ Water Softening/ White Crystal? Solar Salt

This is the saltwater_soft_salt.gif

White Crystal? Solar Salt

Morton? White Crystal? Solar Salt is 99.5% pure salt crystallized by the sun and wind from natural salt brine held in open ponds. This salt contains small amounts of insoluble particles from the environment that may need to be periodically removed from the brine tank.

Available Sizes

40 lb. and 50 lb. bag

HISTORY COMPANY INFORMATION MORTON GIRL MERCHANDISE FAQS

Ok,I just salted to .02%,Using api aquarium salt-I had enough of that left. But I did have to use an entire large carton of it just to get to .02%-and that's why I'm looking to switch to the solar salt. The Morton salt says 99.95% na cl,but I can't find anything that says what the last .05% is,just that it is used instead of kosher salt for some things. And I think Imo said that solar salt is ok,but I would like to confirm it w/ her to be safe. It was the guy at my lfs who told me what to get-I even called him from the store b/c they had 2 different kinds,and he said to get this.

On my way to bed,but thought I'd just note that I treated 3 days w/ Melafix in that tank-don't know if that has any bearing. Also,yesterday I started feeding gel food that I just made and,among other things,I added Nature Made Multi Vitamins For Her,Flax seed oil,and Ultra concentrated Omega softgels by Country Life-everything else was mostly greens-and TONS of Knox gelatin,b/c I couldn't get it to set w/ all that oil in there-like 30 envelopes............

Even tho I can't offer any advice I say your fish will be healthy soon, I say :D

Thank you,Dev :heart I hope so too,b/c I need to leave town in a few days :doh11:

I swear that I keep having to say things that aren't all that reassuring, but Scarecrow had a simliar white spot on her wen that I thought was wen growth and it turned into her ulcer. So if you can have your fish sitter keep an eye on it. The salt will totally help though and it did take about a week to turn.

Ah, Ken's. That explains why all of your fish are downright adorable. I haven't been able to afford a DO fish yet, but I have my eye on a noreserve auction at some point.

Ok,we've gone up to .03% salt,as of yesterday. Those white spots have pretty much disappeared from the red wens(I can still see them a little bit,or at least,where they were,but the tail of the black 1 still has that white.I thought yesterday that it was going away,but no.Also,now 1 of my other small black orandas has got a white mark on either side of her tail-UGH!!!!!!! It almost looks like a water mark on both sides. DSCN1394-1.jpg

And the big 1 still has these white,kind of bumpy things on hisDSCN1396.jpgDSCN1405.jpg

Does anyone know what they are?

Sorry I can't help but this is very interesting for me too. :) My common often gets spots on his tail and dorsal fin and they look alot like the ones your fish have. Once I was sure it wasn't ich and that they didn't seem to affect him I didn't bother about them anymore except that I add a bit of salt when he gets them. I wonder if it is the same thing?