Dojo Loach!

devadair

I was at a certain large chain pet store the other day on the hunt for some cardinal tetras for my planted tank and ran into some really cool looking Golden Loaches. I'd never seen one before and I remembered that they're okay to keep with Goldfish so I picked out the most robust, fattest lookin' guy they had. Threw some frozen bloodworms in the basket too because I don't really know what else to feed him since I didn't know if he'd go for the Hikari pellets...

First thing on the way home he poked a hole in his bag to let out most of the water on to my car floor boards so I had to turn around and get a new one. :doh11:

p1020812o.jpg

He's usually hiding in the driftwood ;P

p1020814.jpg

Fish saw me and thought it was time to eat :P

Edited by Dev

Very nice dojo. But you need at least two they do better in pairs or more.

Fun fish I had two but just couldn't take giving up 10 gallons to each of them that a goldfish could be in.ohmy.gif So a girl that works at my vet has them now in her tank.

• Admin

When i had mine i always kept 2 of them together and they were very happy this way. As for the gravel, it can live in the kind you have with no problems. Another note they do make noise...they can make a clicking noise and they will shed there skin too like a snake. :)

Dojos aren't really picky with what they eat. Give them time and they'll shovel just about any food you give them. Bloodworms, commercial foods, daphnia, shrimps, mosquito larva and chopped earthworms are appreciated greatly.

Wow! Awesome looking fish!

Thanks, I like him :)

It's funny when he spazzes out sometimes when I drop food in, reminds me of the sandworms off Beetlejuice :rockon

oh cute

i was thinking of getting a few to help clean up the extra food on the bottom of my tank(and b/c they are cute lol) but would they do ok in a tank with out gravel?

my tank is bare bottom and i do not want to have gravel, at least not anytime soon and i wasnt sure if they would be ok without gravel or not?

and they need 10g a peice? oh well i have an 80g so i have plenty of room lol

thanks

Dojos tend to be hotdog-thick and can grow to 8-10 inches. Depends on the water conditions you provide for them. A 80g will work for at least 3 of them. No need to go beyond that. They need their space. They tend to enjoy burrowing a lot so substrate is always something to consider if you want to keep them.

When i had mine i always kept 2 of them together and they were very happy this way. As for the gravel, it can live in the kind you have with no problems. Another note they do make noise...they can make a clicking noise and they will shed there skin too like a snake. :)

Wow really? That's very interesting...an audible noise you can hear outside the tank too? I gotta hear :o

i have never heard the loaches make noise i will have to listen next time i bag one up

but i have heard other fish like pictus catfish and iridescent sharks both make a noise and you can feel the cup vibrating if they are in a cup of water.

It's in the nature of most loaches. I used to have several botiine loaches especially aggressive ones such as Syncrossus helodes and Yasuhikotakia modesta. They would click aggressively when they sense it is time for them to eat.:)

Never heard mine make any noise. Funny thing about mine is even when I had gravel they never hide in it. Mine lked to get up in the large rock nooks and cracks or lay around in the plants. Never seen them shed and they never did the gulp air and then have bubble come out their backend. Guess mine were not normal. lol

Very avery active but even after two years they never got very big. But they were albinos and I was told they don't get as big as the normal ones can. Mine were four inches and 6 inches about as big around as your pinkie maybe a tad bigger.

I'd love to get a pair of dojo loaches but I don't have the space at the moment, maybe if I end up with a 50 gallon I'd look at getting a pair to go with three goldies, but currently I don't have the space to give them the right kind of lifestyle :( My friend kept two in a 5 gallon tank, they grew to about 6 inches, she's lost one now and she says the other one seems to be kinda depressed but she can't find them in her area to get another. She does water changes once a week, they need a bigger tank but she doesn't have the money for one. Her aquatic frogs have the big tank :(

You are so right. They need 10 gallon each just like fancy goldfish. That is why I rehomed them after two years. I want that space for more goldfish. lol At this rate all my tanks well be full of goldfish. wink.gif

I hear everyone on here taking about these loaches but I actually don't think I've ever seen one!!!

They look very interesting, especially the bit about them shedding their skin!

Are they safe to keep with goldies providing you have the space that is?? :unsure:

They're fine with goldfish and really interesting to watch, they dance together and entwine themselves around things. Their other name is weather loach, they're sensitive to barometric pressure and go crazy when it's due to rain or something. I used to really like watching my friend's swiggle round :)

Aah ok thanks guys! They sound really cool! :)

I have heard of a weather loach, so maybe I have seen them but just never taken much notice before!!

Hmm think maybe I will have to go to some lfs this weekend lol (just for a look mind you)!!!! :D

They are not cheep. And my LFS don't have them all year round. And they can jump out of the tank so need a good lid or need to cover all open parts. Mine never even tried and after a few months I just took off the covering and never had a problem. I think bad water is what causes the jumping but that is just my theory. Mine also never gulped air and did the bubbles at the back end either. I just assume that is cause I keep up on water changes and not over stocked.

• Admin

My fist Dojo got a Rubber Band stuck around him. TD and I had to pick him up, I was holding him, when TD made just alittle push down on him to get the scissors under the band, he made a noise like a rabbit would. Yes they can click and they will make noise out the the tank. They are labyrinth fish, so they can live in water and out... I had one jump the tank and I think was out for atleast 4-5 hours, his slim coat was messed up but he was just fine :)