Black Oranda Bully

indoxsmokez

Hi guys..2 days ago i came home with 2 lionheads and 1 black oranda to add to my 36 gallon cycled tank with 1 fantail already in it...ever since ive put them in the black oranda just keeps bullying the other fish. I thought maybe they were hungry because I didnt feed them the whole first day...but even during feeding times...the black oranda bully doesnt even go after ANY of the food. while the others are trying to eat, the black oranda tries to go after the other fish and keeps chasing and nipping at them...now ive noticed missing scales and torn fins on all the other fishes...so now ive put the black oranda in its own 20 gallon tank and threw food at him...but he still doesnt want to eat!!! hes VERY active...matter of fact hes the most active out of all the fish..can someone tell me whats going on? is this just a regular bully fish or is something wrong with him? please help.

Edited by indoxsmokez

Strange. Maybe he is male. Does he have any breeding spots?

Although, this doesn't explain why he don't want to eat.

nope..no signs of breeding spots...and i tried to determine the sex..but honestly i cant tell the diff lol

Maybe he is stressed cause moving in a new home...But look for any signs of illness just in case. Check his poop color.

I agree. Keep him in the 20 gallon for a while and see how he does. It may have just been the stress of the move and him trying to establish a bit of a pecking order in the tank. I have seen that happen with the addition of new fish and then settle down after a few days.

Maybe he is stressed cause moving in a new home...But look for any signs of illness just in case. Check his poop color.

I agree. Keep him in the 20 gallon for a while and see how he does. It may have just been the stress of the move and him trying to establish a bit of a pecking order in the tank. I have seen that happen with the addition of new fish and then settle down after a few days.

k i will def do that

what is the water temperature of the tank? I have found the colder the water the more aggressive my males get...

temp is at 70 in the main tank..68 in the 20 g tank (by himself)

Maybe he needs some alone time to calm down, just a little time out so you can watch him a bit.

i hope so, because he looks so cool..and i would hate to give him awaY.

thanks everyone for your replies...like most of u said...ill just wait it out and ill post whatever happens

also, are orandas eyes normally smaller than other types of goldfishes? like my orandas eye's seems WAY smaller compared to the lionheads and fantail...im thinking he has a hard time finding food...because when i dropped him into the 20...he eventually ate one pellet but that was after several attempts to get him to eat and had put the pellet right in front of him as it sank...idk if im making any sesnse, sorry im all over the place..but what do u guys think?

hmmm well I know that my moor Poseidon was being a realy meanie when i first got her in qt wiht everyone but it only lasted a day before she stopped, i was ready to take her back to the store...she has been a perfect angel ever since.

How big is this oranda? I have almost all orandas and their eyes are normal size, does yours have a huge wen growth that is covering it's eyes slightly? Even if it coudn't see the food he can still smell it and should eat the food off of the bottom of the tank. Do you have a test kit so you can give me your water stats?

hmmm well I know that my moor Poseidon was being a realy meanie when i first got her in qt wiht everyone but it only lasted a day before she stopped, i was ready to take her back to the store...she has been a perfect angel ever since.

well, i read that he may be bullying because hes the "different one" than the rest..so i got another black oranda because i couldnt wait..lol...and theyre both in the quarantine tank right now..and hes not bullying the new fish...sooo, we'll see how it plays out when i put them all in the main tank..hopefully it goes well

How big is this oranda? I have almost all orandas and their eyes are normal size, does yours have a huge wen growth that is covering it's eyes slightly? Even if it coudn't see the food he can still smell it and should eat the food off of the bottom of the tank. Do you have a test kit so you can give me your water stats?

hmm hes not that big..maybe 3.5 inches w/o the tail? and yes mine does have a HUGE wen..and REALLY puffy cheeks that covers his eyes.....and my tank stats are

ammonia - 0

nitrite - 0

nitrate - about 20 ppm

temp - 73 degrees

I don't know about eye size, but goldfish use scent to find a lot of their food. So if he's not used to looking for it on the bottom, it may take him a little while to figure out that's where he needs to look.

i just tried feeding him again right now...and he ate, all is good!!

OOOOUUUUUU!! I wanna see a picture! A Black Oranda is mt DREAM FISH!! I will take this bully of your hands!!! :yeah:

lol..ill try to get pictures up..i have a camera but REALLY bad quality..ima borrow a good 1..and ill post them for sures..

thanks everyone for the help and ill keep u guys updated

Water stats seem fine...20 is about the highest I will let my nitrAtes get since a lot of fish are sensitive to high nirtAtes in the tank. Well it's possilbe that the wen is obstructing his vision slightly. Have you noticed him foraging at the bottom for food at all? I know at feeding time my orandas get their mouths going at warp speed and if another fish gets in front of them they get mouthed lol.

Or you may just have a bully fish...I've had that too. I've had perfectly peaceful fish turn into a bully fish over night (usually happens to adolescent fish) and i've had to get rid of them:(

Ah-heim......I am (impatiently) awaiting PICS!!!! :yeah:

lol i swear ill get some up sometime this upcomign week...ima borrow my cousins 15 mp camera

although they are starting to lose their color already tho...but i still love them

Water stats seem fine...20 is about the highest I will let my nitrAtes get since a lot of fish are sensitive to high nirtAtes in the tank. Well it's possilbe that the wen is obstructing his vision slightly. Have you noticed him foraging at the bottom for food at all? I know at feeding time my orandas get their mouths going at warp speed and if another fish gets in front of them they get mouthed lol.

Or you may just have a bully fish...I've had that too. I've had perfectly peaceful fish turn into a bully fish over night (usually happens to adolescent fish) and i've had to get rid of them:(

and also..i think they ARE males....i see the breeding tubercles on the leading fin ray on their pectoral fins...but...i dont see any on the gill plates? does it need to be on both?

also righ tnow im treating all of them with PARASITE CLEAR...any1 have experience with it? i did a search on it here...but i was wondering if the water is suppose to turn green....and none of the past posts mentioned anything about it

In that second photo it looks like he's covered in white spots. Is it just the photo, or is he like that in real life?

Yikes! Good spot! That looks like ich! Are you salting the tank Indox? You'll need to to get rid of that...it's horrible, I hates it! Aquarium salt is the best treatment and you'll need to do the whole tank. It might also explain his aggression, if he's got ich in his gills then it's bound to make him grouchy.

That oranda is gorgeous and he's so tiny! Cute!

Yeah, ich is exactly what I was thinking. Do you know how to salt up to .3% indoxsmokez? You need to kick this parasite or it will kill your fish fast. :(

Above you mentioned that you're currently treating them all with PC tabs? That is supposed to treat ich, but many people here think salt is much more gentle and effective. I hope a moderator or helper sees this soon to help you out with the specifics! In the meantime, you might want to get a heater so you can raise the temp and kill the ich off faster.

Oh, that is good! Now that you mention it, I should have realized because I posted in that other thread as well! :krazy: Yep, buy that salt! hehehe Poor little fish, it's no wonder he was being a little butt. :lol1

Edited by Sakura

As far as breeding tubes on fins and cheeks go....My big oranda indica has both but a lot of the times the ones on his face will fade out and come back. if the fish has them on the fins then he is a male...are you sure the other one is male as well...if it is a female that may be why the oranda is chasing the other fish. Lovely guy buy the way....good luck with the ick hun:)