Duncan Floating

Guest duncan_fishy

Guest duncan_fishy

Hello all,

If you don't recall or didn't know, several months ago my 8+ year old common goldfish Duncan jumped out of his tank a few months ago, and he pulled through, but we've been on the lookout for odd behavior since then, to ensure he doesn't pull another crazy Evil Kenevil stunt like that. About a month ago he started acting like he wanted to eat ALL THE TIME. We didn't think too much on it because, well, he's a goldfish. Alas, more recently he started getting a strange bulginess on one side of his belly close to his anus, and for several days was very constipated. About a two week ago he took to floating near the top of the tank like he has swim bladder problems. Sometimes it's like he can't help being up there and sometimes it's like he's asleep and just let's himself float at the surface (mostly upside down as well). We switched him out to an all pea diet to try and flush out his system, and he's digesting normally again, but the swelling has mostly remained. He's also fairly lethargic most days, only really working up to moving about around feeding time. We've tried doing about a 20-25% daily water change, and tried some maracyn medication to see if that helped, but it doesn't seem to have really done anything.

I don't really know what to think. While we have had him on the medication we took out the charcoal but with the regular water changes and testing we know his water is at good levels, so what do you think it could be? Is it possible for goldfish to get internal parasites or something like that (I've only heard of external diseases).

I posted a video on YouTube so you can see my gorgeous, strange fish. Any advise would be appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwjk6qd9MPU

I guess it's not the best video to show his problems as he was just feed when we filmed it, but you can see he's struggling a bit to stay down near the gravel. After he quit searching for food he simply stopped swimming hard like that and floated back to the top upside down.

Edited by duncan_fishy

Awwh, I do hope your dear Duncan gets better! To help the moderators help you (and Duncan), please answer all questions in the box. It's really important to know the exact numbers of your water parameters before treating for any ailments and it helps provide the big picture.

Guest duncan_fishy

Okay, sorry I couldn't post earlier. To answer your questions I've checked his levels again, and here are the results:

Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?

between 0 and 0.25

[*]Nitrite Level?

about 0.05

[*]Nitrate level?

that test has unfortunately expired, I hope to get a new one tomorrow. I know how important that one is but I didn't realize I needed a new test kit for it until recently. With daily water changes I imagine it's not very high.

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

between 6.8 and 7.0

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

7.0 - the filtered water we use

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

We use a couple of different tests: Fresh Care Multitest from Red Sea and Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Deluxe pH test kit

[*]Water temperature?

70 degrees

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

the tank is 30 gallons, and it's been up and running about a year now

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

Marineland Rite-Size C filter - its a Penguin Rite-Size Filter Cartridge

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

Usually once a week (sometimes twice if it looks murky) - about 30%; and since he started acting odd, we do a 20-25% change daily

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

There's only Duncan in the tank. He's somewhere around 10-12 inches long, so there's only really room for him.

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

We give him filtered water with API Stress Coat + in it

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

Usually he gets a variety of Goldfish flakes, shrimp, and crisps. Lately due to his constipation we've been giving him cooked peas (out of the skins) and sometimes with mashed garlic

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

No

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

After we tried changing his diet and water and he still didn't seem better, we tried Mardel's Maracyn antibiotic - we gave him a full treatment. It's has helped somewhat, but not entirely

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

No, although when he was at his worst, which was about two weeks ago, he would float at the surface for extended periods of time, and the exposed part of his body developed redness like an infection. Once we started the antibiotic he stopped doing that and the redness disappeared. Yet he still has buoyancy issues, just not quite that bad.

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Well, like I said, he's not himself: he's lethargic, has trouble with floating to the surface, sometimes floats upside down.

I hope this information helps.

Guest duncan_fishy

Is it just me or do his eyes look a little bulgy too? (I don't know because I've never had a common)

I know they can seem bulging, but the truth is his eyes are just large, there isn't bulging stress where the eye meets the head, and he has always had pretty big eyes. A bit odd, I guess, but I just think it's interesting, rather than a problem

Edited by duncan_fishy

Duncan is an absolutely beautiful fish! Really a beauty and all credit to you for getting him to that size.

Looking at him in the video I cant help thinking it may be he has grown out of his digs. It looks to be so narrow that tank for him as he is so big. But clearly thats not all of it.

I have two thoughts, one is you need to do a much larger water change. Nearer 80% and a good filter rinse out and maybe some new media added. Nitrates keep on going up with 20% changes, even daily, that is not enough to clear them to low or nil. Fish get swirly with high trates and water that never gets a full change.

The bulge..I can see it. Have you tried a course of Jungle antiparasite food ever? It might be what he needs.

It's just a suggestion but I would think about slowly removing your gravel over a few weeks not to unbalance the cycle or at least get it down to a thinner layer. Gases that collect under gravel cause floatiness.

Oh no, Duncan!!! sad.gif

Yes of course I remember Evil Kenievel stunt!!! He did so well getting better! heartpump.gif

Imo....what about Duncan ingesting too large of rock and it not passing? The bulge looks just about at last before passing through? Just a thought.

Have you tried feeding peas at all? Or Epsom salt?

Oh also looks like a bit of a cycle bump! Removing gravel a bit at a time seems like a good idea, but could you put it in a stocking/nylon while working through bump?

Guest duncan_fishy

he is a bad way today. he is very buoyant today. his whole tommy is out of the water and he can't swim to the bottom to eat his peas. he trys. but fails and the gets exhausted and gives up.

I'm sorry that Duncan is not better. :( Did you manage to get the Jungle anti parasite food as Trinket suggested? Maybe that would help him.

ok look....I love Duncan! If you can't get jungle anti-bac any chance triple sulfa (food is best but...work with what you got), get a nylon sock or a few and fill up with gravel in tank!!! get it all up so he can't suck anymore down! But keep in tank as to not give cycle a bump!

What are your levels again, please re-post!

if he can't get to peas, try and feed him one by one please!! :heart

Guest duncan_fishy

if he can't get to peas, try and feed him one by one please!! :heart

sorry if my post was confusing, that video was from yesterday, youtube is having problems today, so the new video is not up yet. he is totally perfect today. but it looks like he has a 2mm long white worm on his right side of his head or maybe he scraped himself. . the swelling in his rear end is gone. and he doesn't float anymore. and he still loves peas and has no trouble getting them now. and wants more peas. I will start to remove the rocks, slowly. but he loves playing with them. he needs new toys.

I got the jungle food, two types. but have not given it to him yet. I got the one for parasites and one for bacterial. which one should I use? the directions say to feed him the medicated food exclusively for 4 weeks, does that mean I can't feed him peas?. that seems like a punishment. he love his peas. and I like to indulge him.

two videos from today, youtube seems to still be having trouble. I had to download it 4 times.

Wow, he does seem much better,and I don't see the bulge anymore :) Good for you :) he's a beautiful goldfish :)

I am still a newbie here so no advise,But I do prefer bare bottom tanks for Goldie's just because the gravel can hold some nasty stuff,and frequent water changes are always beneficial in my opinion :)you have some great suggestions above,best of luck with your Duncan :)

Guest duncan_fishy

well. he is broke again. seems that any time he eats, he will float upside down. I've been feeding him the jungle anti parasite food for 3 days. but today he developed red streaks in his fin by his butt. a real big turn for the worse, been keeping his tank at 77f. how do I get him off this food and start Maracyn.

I've been using the 5 in one test strips. the water is great.

Please switch to API liquid drops. Test strips are absolute crap in my book. I'm not entirely convinced honestly your water is fine since you are using test strips.

Is there a chance you can simply feed Duncan gel foods (no commercial pellets added)?

So Sorry to hear Dunkin's not feeling well again :( A good size water change may be in order,Nothing help's more than fresh clean water imo,Have you tried fasting for a few day's followed by only peas(shelled) and then pre soaking his food before feeding,I also agree with Lupin about the test strips,the api drops are much more reliable imo

Hope Dunkin feels better soon :)