Dwarf Puffers

Shamu23

Last time I was at petland I saw little dwarf pea puffers and instantly fell in love with them! Once Fishie Lemon Fish moves out of the 5 gallon I am going to buy 2 of them and put them in that tank. I did lots of research on them already :), but do u think I could possibly keep them with an african dwarf frog? Cuz I kinda miss having the froggies too :(. And they eat the same food, and the puffers stay small, would they b able to hurt the frog at all or would it be fine? thx in advance :)

I personally wouldn't have anything in with the dp's but that's just my opinion. I had 2 dp's and when they were older were very territorial. If you were to have a male and a female then maybe. Dwarf otto's or ghost shrimp would be the best tank mates for them. I think that you would need to get a slightly bigger tank of you want tank mates as dps need at least 3 gallons each and also need a heavily planted tank to break line of site. I hope this helps :)

sad.gif I'd go with a ten gal if I were you. They can be super aggressive from what Ive seen once they hit maturity and the more space to disperse it the better.

I couldn't agree more. I go by the 5 gals per fish rule with them. They're not different to our goldies where they need lots of water space each, not only because they are messy but because they are very territorial and as they mature they can become aggressive grumpy things (the boys especially).

It's not just whether they have a well planted tank to break up the line of sight, it's also about having enough room to claim as their own territory and with any territorial fish, the more they're crammed into a small space, the more they'll defend their territories and aggressively so.

• 2 weeks later...

i got two of these little guys yesterday :D they r so cute!!!!! I put a bunch of plants in the tank, so far they're doing really well :), they mostly stay away from each other, when they see each other they usually go separate ways lol. Once they get a bit bigger if they get really aggressive i could always put them each in their own 5 gallon if I have to, cuz I got another 5 gallon tank yesterday to use for the fish show for one of my goldfish.

btw, my mom and brother keep asking me if these guys can actually puff up, and i dont really know, it seems like they should b able to since they r called puffers, but yet would it really serve a purpose since they dont have spikes? Anyone know?? lol

Edited by Shamu23