Ryukin Fry

jayne

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have immense appetites! I feed several times a day (mainly live brine shrimp and microworms) in small quantities and do two water changes every day and the water conditions have remained good,but they need more room now so they are going into a bigger tank shortly.

Mommy and daddy spawned again today but I haven't kept any eggs this time,although I had to do a huge water change on their tank as the water was yukky rolleyes.gif

Aww...The cute wee buttons are fast becoming teenagers!heartpump.gif

LMAO! I see what you meant, Jayne. I HATE the cloudy water caused by their spawning ritual. I kept changing the water of my blue orandas since they spawned. It's unpleasant after awhile.blink.gif

Wow you can see all the fins really clearly now! They're sooo cute! Are they all short tails or is it too early to tell yet? I want one now!!! Mariko would eat it even if it survived the journey though :( She's nothing but trouble!

They look like cheeky little sweeties ;) Have you culled anymore or do you still have 60-odd?

Your photo taking is improving as they grow!

Apart from the few that were deformed and removed early on I haven't taken any more out yet.

I'm not going to cull for single tails/single anal fins,and I haven't seen any with noticeably deformed fins or tails so there aren't many reasons to take them out yet.

I have a few with black eyes which I'm assuming may be matts but again I think I'll grow them on for a while,as I think they are quite attractive sometimes.

If/when I spot any with deformities I'll cull them,but for now I'm not culling for what I consider 'cosmetic' reasons,I have room to let them develop a bit more at the moment.

So yes,still about 60 ish - thank goodness for microworm,much cheaper to culture than brine shrimp :)

Sorry I meant things aren't great for Devilduck at the moment,she is really worried about Rusty. I'm fine and so are the babies.

Not very clear was I,sorry CO_Goldies oops.gif

WOW! Half an inch in less than a month? That's amazing. That's like a one-month-old human baby growing to 20 feet or something!

When will they start to get their ryukin characteristics (i.e. the hump)?

That's the largest ones,there is quite a discrepancy in size between the biggies and the littlies,I'm not too sure about the hump development tbh,this is my first batch of ryukin babies,Daryl would know I'm sure,if she's around

It should occur like it always does even in the wild, Jayne.lol Runts can happen. I just took a look at my oranda fry and the largest is already doubled in size to the smallest one. I just gaped as I couldn't believe such a large discrepancy in size. Majority sport doubletails too. I don't think I've seen even a singletail quite like yours.

Oh I'm so jealous! I thought my ryukin were gonna make me a grandma again but it never happened!

Guess I will live vicariously through you and this thread!

Love the pics. They are adorable. And, I agree with the others--that mother fish is gorgeous! Wow!

Congrats on the fry.

You're luckier than I am, Jayne. Someone you trust already got dibs on the fry and I haven't found a single one in my area who can.lol I'm just lucky I am about to build a pond at 500+ gallons. Should be enough for now until I can find someone else to rehome them for me. I'm far too selective about whom I can entrust my goldfish with.

Edit: Of course, I can't live without leaving a few for myself and I am going to do that.:) Need to hunt down some fiberglass tubs or have someone build a few for me. I want your new vat, Jayne.lolol

Edited by Lupin