Bristlenose Pleco

Anielynn

I have seen bristle/bushy nose plecos several times lately. I really want one to help keep my tank cleaner but i don't know how to quarantine? Or how they react to salt and prazi? And then the whole feeding them thing confuses me. But thats a whole other thread. Lol!

I've read in a few different places that plecostomus are sensitive to salt.

I, personally, have never had an issue with plecos being sensitive to the small amounts of salt used for QTing and as a tonic.

My bristlenose, common, and rubber lips have never shown any odd behavior when QTed with salt.

I always started off slowly as any QT would be done, and gradually brought it up.

It's important though to also gradually bring them back down to whatever salinity your main tank is.

I never just plopped them into my main tank which is not salted without first reducing the salinity in the QT.

Steph, the most important thing you need to do with salt is dissolve it and add slowly. I use the same protocol I do with adding salt for goldfish. I never had issues using salt with plecos either. It's up to you but dissolution is extremely necessary. Some are prone to burns when they get grazed by the salt grains although my prized long-finned BN pleco happily nibbles on the grains and is unfazed by it but it's a case by case basis. It's different. Some just don't tolerate high saline solution so be observant when you add salt.

As for prazi, I never had issues with that either. It'll be fine.

Prazi is a very safe product and can be used with plecos. As for salt I have never used any on my pleco so I can't help you there. I would advice that they do not help out much on the cleaning and can be a pain to feed with a goldfish. My tank is a mess and the pleco doesn't really seem to make a difference, I wish I would have just saved the room for another goldfish. On the up side the pleco can be very cute when he is out and about cleaning. Good luck on whatever you choose.

The BN plecos keep the tank pretty clean, but they contribute long thin poops. :)

And they sure can poop a lot!

If you've got enough filtration no your tank though, the poops are picked up with ease.

The poops are more noticeable in my tropical tanks where I don't have as much filtration.

Thank you!! I am definitely going to go for it. But i believe i will wait a bit and get Sushi all well first.

Guest amynicole

I have 3 bristle nose plecos but none in my goldfish tank. I am afraid to put any type of pleco in with my goldfish after I had a common pleco attach and kill my old goldfish. My busy nose plecos are in my tropical tanks (1 in my 30 gallon and 2 in my 75 gallon). My 30 gallon is too close to a window and there is not a speck of algae. And my 75 gallon is totally clean as well. The bristle nose is a hard worker! I have albines and they are so cool looking. I love it when its on the front and you can see their sucker mouths working.

Bristlenose plecos and rubbernose are the only types that should be safe for goldies. Commons are a big no-no. So i think it's probably pretty safe.What about the red junk. Do they work on that too? My nerites did but the goldies munched on them. :(