Sign in to follow this  
johann_pond

See Through Goldfish!?

Very cool! And I love the reasoning behind it...to reduce dissections :thumbup2:

Edited by Chrissy_Bee

Makes me fear more ill kept goldfish for "science" in classrooms around the country. But I'd be interested in one for sure ;)

Fascinating - I'd find space for a couple for sure!

Looks like my fish when they were babies...especially the twins.

fish121.jpg

Looks like they took a genetic line and just tweaked it just enough so we can see in... Its cool but also kinda sad, another fish that has been genetic mutated for our interest :o Im kinda 50-50 with this ...

This is cool! Being interested in both biology and goldfish, I like. :) I'm not 100% on this koko, but I don't think it harms the organism in any way to tweak their genetic code.

Oh. Some reason I expected something even more see through! Very white fish are in demand here, people want one in each tank -supposed to be lucky.

I'd love that see-through oranda and get one in a flash once I find it!

I just stumbled upon this on Yahoo. I'm not sure how I feel about it... the fish almost looks like my Angel did! As it was posted previously; I kinda expected more see-through. :blink:

Its cool but also kinda sad, another fish that has been genetic mutated for our interest :o Im kinda 50-50 with this ...

Yes but this mutation does not seem too detrimental to the fish's livelihood and well being? :unsure:

I think pearlies and bubble eyes have it much harder than these guys in terms of detrimnet to their longevity? :unsure:

Eh not as cool as i thought it would be lol....i thought i would be able to see through it ha ha

Guest Kelsang

That fish looks just like my QT mmm GF right now!

Her fins are sort of see through and her telescope eyes are black!

Edited by Kelsang

Oh i know guys, i just get worried when they start to play around with the genetics of the fish.. ya know :(

Neat looking fish! At least the researchers are trying to do something right by developing frogs and fish like this. I'm all for ending dissection--nasty stuff. :blink:

:( am I the only person who thinks that proper dissections are cool here? haha. I think things like fetal pig dissections are alright because they are by products of the meat industry anyway so instead of them just being trashed they can be used to educate people. I know I learned alot through dissection... But I'm against random dissections of things that would otherwise be alive, or byproducts of the fur industry (since I dont support that) like mink.

The only time I have dissected things was once in High school, a pig... Will never do that cause I love piggies now :heart

The other time is when Dede died and i need to find out what exactly killed her... I think if the animal is dead and you need to, then go ahead :)

Guest Kelsang

As long as their not hurting the animal, I think it's ok :)

Also if it's happy, the transparent one MUST have atleast a friend or sibling with it.

The only thing I ever disected was a worm

Edited by Kelsang

Pearl, I find dissection fascinating and I do agree with your points there. Dissection is just one of the many things in science that enables us to be a few steps ahead of what is going on in some situation. I'd rather be dissecting a dead animal (fresh one) and not a living being randomly but I guess it depends in some scenarios or the purpose there may be.

I agree dissection has it's place in scientific research but look how many thousands of animals are killed every year just so kids can have a "dissection experience" in science class. That's not cool or neccessary.

The main duty of my current job is fish dissection (I can remove and preserve a stomach in about 15 seconds now..gross, but it's a skill :P), so yes, sometimes it is necessary and informative.

On another note, I wonder if the fish pictured with the article is the end result of the research? If they haven't quite developed it yet, that may just be one of the preliminary attempts because you're all right, it's not that see through. I keep Priscilla tetras and they are absolutely transparent, much more than that goldfish.