Sign in to follow this  
kukana d

Filling Ornaments

I've got some pretty big ornaments for my 170g and to 'fill' them w/ sand or gravel would make them VERY heavy-and I'm just not sure it's possible w/ 1 of them :yeah: Would it be ok to an airstone in it,would that keep the water moving? Any suggestions?Thanks guys :rolleyes:

Any pics of the big ornaments? Can't go wrong with the airstones but if your filters are already producing vigorous surface movements, there's no need to add airpump unless you don't mind for aesthetic reasons.:)

For hollow decors, it is useful though to avoid dead pockets from forming inside which could release nitrogen gas that is dangerous to your fish.

I have a fairly large hollow ornament in my 26 gallon tank. I snake an airline tubing into it from the bottom and just let it bubble through the top (there are a couple of openings, one on top and one on the side). I have had this setup for over 4 years without a problem.