Sign in to follow this  
goldieluva

Black Moor Has Cloudy Eye

My black moor has developed a cloudy eye, overtime it has gotten worse and now the pupil looks almost white. I think his vision has worsened as he is a bit slower at finding food. When I bought him from the LFS i noticed a couple of his tank mates had this problem any idea what it is and how to cure it?

ps. how do i add a photo apparently flickr doesnt work.

Hello,

Could you please add some more info here?

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Just as a note, telescopes are no stranger to eye problems particularly cloudy eyes.

Assuming water quality is the issue, then one way to rectify the cloudy eyes as water quality problem is often the top cause of cloudy eyes, is to do plenty of water changes and maintain your tank in tiptop shape. I am not sure what your maintenance regimen is, tank size, frequency of feeding, etc hence why I suggested to you we need more information to be able to pin down the exact cause of this issue. Test your water parameters using API liquid drops to be sure the results are accurate as misleading results are a headache and can confuse us whether to rule out water quality issues or not.

Definitely, eye problems tend to impair vision and it does become a challenge for them to eat. Check the appearance of its poop and see if it is white, stringy and thin. If it is, chances are likely your black moor may be exhibiting bacterial symptoms.

How old is the fish?

http://www.flickr.co...s/45982978@N06/

I got it. There we go so you can click it without pasting to the address bar.smile.gif It does look like cloudy eye. For water related problems, only very clean water will help correct this issue. Same with possible eye injury.

Edit: It doesn't kinda work well. Goes to "Page not found" but it at least leaves a subtle redirect to your two eye photos.

Edited by Lupin

[0]Ammonia Level?

[0]Nitrite Level?

[30]Nitrate level?

[7.3 quite stable]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[7.3]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[API drops]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[24 degrees celcius]Water temperature?

[52 gallons have tank for 1 yr] size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[Aqua one clearview hang on filter 800]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

[30% weekly]How often do you change the water and how much?

[ 2 comets 4" ea, black moor is larger in size but not longer]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[API ammo lock conditioner]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[flake food wardley, once a day]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[newest is black moor 6 mnths ago]Any new fish added to the tank?

[nope]Any medications added to the tank?

[black moor has cloudy eye from lfs getting worse.]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[Yawning after water change]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Fish poop looks normal not stringy, dont think its injury as both eyes have it and it seems to be inside the eyeball, kinda looks like a mini white raspberry if you look inside closely (cant see on photo) Ive started salt treatment 1tbsp per 5 gallons any ideas if this will work?

Edited by goldieluva

add clove of garlic cutten in half for every 20 liters (keep the garlic for 2 days)

i tried this trick and it worked with a lot of my fish