Sign in to follow this  
Wallaby

Hand Feeding?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, I wasn't sure. =)

Anyhoo, I keep reading about hand feeding and I was wondering about how those of you that hand feed your fishies, trained your fish to not not be leery of your hand and to not be scared of eating from it.

Did you just hangout by your tank with your hand in the water holding some food? S.E.F. isn't too keen about coming all the way up to my hand but he isn't terrified, he's just not super thrilled about my hand...

Help? =)

I just gently put my fingers in the tank with a pinch of food a couple of inches below the surface. The first time I did it, they all came to check it out, but not everyone ate from my fingers, so don't be discouraged if it doesn't happen right away. Hand feeding is too fun! When I'm cleaning my tank and doing water changes I also take a few minutes with my hand completely still for them to check it out.

I'm training mine to be hand fed atm by starting with tweezers as their food is too small for me to hold out effectively, but they do pretty good with that. It just takes lots of patience.

Put your hands in the water with food. Make sure they are all around and see and drop it. After a few days they will know that your hand means food. Do it that way every time. Don't give in with a pinch of food. Or they may hold out. It only takes a few days if that is the only way you feed. Within a few days they will be taking it from your fingers.Make gel food so it easy to hold.

Edited by Anielynn

My goldfish do like to be handfed especially Cash although I normally don't do it anymore since I feel rather lazy to do it and just prefer to watch them gobble their foods happily. I do have some large orandas that splash at the surface to signal me when they're hungry.blink.gif I had wondered before who was splashing me until I caught sight of one large black oranda swishing her tail at the surface.

I haven't hand fed, but they usually come by to check out my hand when I'm in there cleaning :) I love it :)

I hand feed gel food by cutting a few strips that are easier to hold. I would start the meal by hand feeding, this way I know each fish has got a least a mouthful of food, then I just dump the rest of the food for them to gobble up.

I have to hand feed or none of my fish would get their fair share. My largest Oranda NEVER gets her mouth full and stops. She just goes along the bottom sucking everything up. Even when i stuff a HUGE chunk in her mouth.

Steph, you have a born vacuum cleaner.:o