Nit-0

Nitrate-Unknown

PH-7.0-7.2 Tank and Tap

API and Hagen drop kits

Temp - 68F

27 Gallon running for 1 year - 4 months with current filters

Nutrafin Ph stabilizer, Prime, Stress coat sometimes, Aqua Plus sometimes

No new fish or meds

Feed 2x daily - peas, gel food (veggie heavy), super soft spirulna pellets, Hikari lionhead, frozen blood worms and brine shrimp.

No unusual findings

3 telescope fish - Oscar (black moor 4-5 inches adult) Peepers (Black moor not fully grown 3-4 inches) Google(5-6 inches fully grown)

Google (male fish I presume) has piped a couple nights just after lights out, he gasps over and over at the surface, quite heavily. Has gone on for 2-3 hours, then I go to bed and he is fine in the morning. It gets me worried and I go to bed thinking he wont make it through the night. Last night it happened, I fed the super soft spurilna pellets, I am not sure about the other night about a week ago what I fed when it happened.

I am thinking a food allergy? Lots of O2 in the tank. I have two bubble wands with separate air pumps.

What do you think guys?

Update:

I fed him about 2 hours ago and he has been piping ever since. It seems to be getting worse now that the tank light went out. I am off to bed soon I hope he is okay in the morning:(

Hmmmm.... I would like to see what happens if you feed a different food. OR if you feed at a different time.. Say you feed 5 hours earlier, will he start doing thi 5 hours earlier ya know?

I don't like the idea that he is gasping, but some times it is normal for fish to go sucking around the top after feeding.. My fish always seem to do that with gel food..

Let us know how things are in the morning. This is def not an area I am 100% sure in but maybe if we switch things around, and keep notes of feeding times/what was fed we can pinpoint what exactly is causing this!

Thanks for your replies:)

It has happened last night and tonight again. He is starting about 1-2 hours after eating and then goes on for hours. And then in the morning back to normal. I haven't been able to monitor him after morning feedings as I leave for work right after feeding.

I uploaded a video of what he does: My video

Gigi - I have no plants.

Country - I have the next 3 days off so I can really monitor whats going on and switch around feeding times. I'll let you know the progress and in the meantime please check out the video.

Thanks again!

Edited by Hawaiian Crush

Thanks Gigi:)

Well he came too about an hour or so after my post. Just came off the bottom like nothing was wrong and started begging for food. I fed some peas in case the pellets from last night were causing him problems. Soon after he started doing his thing again, gasping and hovering near the top. I had to step out for two hours and when i came home he was fine. I am just thinking of skipping the evening meal altogether tonight then I might know if it is food related, which I am thinking it is.

I'll keep you all posted.

I have two fish that pipe at the surface after eating and have been doing so for months. They start about an hour after, and continue for anywhere from 2-3 hours. Oxygen levels are low after eating, so some fish do pipe then. But it sounds as if your fish might have something more going on.

If the behavior occurs at any other time (besides an hour after a meal), then I'm stumped and hope one of the more experienced folks can help. If it's food-related, I'm not sure there's much you can do besides what you're already doing (i.e. providing excellent aeration).

I've moved the thread to emergency for you! :)

Hmmmm... like I said this is DEF not something I am ultra experienced with. I wish there was something more I could do to help!

We know it happens after eating. We know it happens with VARIED foods (correct?).

Can you change the quantity of food you are feeding? Perhaps you are feeding too much and the fish are getting constipated or bloaty?

I think if it were me I would start with a fast followed by a three day ONLY peas feeding. YOu can do a 3 day fast to clear out anything in their systems. Then do a small portion of peas for 3 days in a row... Maybe just do one feeding a day also, instead of the normal two.

See if that helps at all.. Then... add regular foods back in very very slowly and in a small portion.

It does obviously seem to be digestive and that would be the best place to start in my opinion.

Wish I had more def answers for this one.... Just trying to rule out the basics if possible.

Last... I believe a test kit is CRUCIAL here!

Please find on that will allow to you to test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrates... Its possible you've had a cycle bump and maybe the ammonia or nitrite spikes after feeding and the fish can not handle the spike... It would be nice to have a nitrate reading as well..

Thanks!!:)

That's good advice!

I am going to start the fast today. And then hit em with the peas like you said in small amounts. It probably is the overfeeding. Yes for sure it happens with varied foods. I have another fish kind of floaty but I just chalked it up to re-absorption of eggs.

Funny thing I didn't feed at all last night and he started his piping around late evening. I am not sure how long it went on for as I went to bed.

Test results as of now:

Ph - 7.2 - 7.4 ish

A - 0

Nitrites - 0

I will get the nitrate kit ASAP, They are $20 here, so hopefully soon.

I did already do a feeding today before I read the post, I'll see what happens here as I just fed them.

Thanks for moving the topic, every time they get sick it is an emergency to me, makes me feel better to see it here.

Thanks again!

I have fasted them for 3 days and now a feeding of peas once in the day for two days. No issues as of yet everything seems to be going fine. One more meal of peas tomorrow and back to regular feeding. I am going to post a picture of the amount of food I feed them daily and then get your opinion on if it is too much. I am away for 4 days starting tomorrow and am leaving gel food to be fed once a day while I am gone.

Okay good lets see how they do! :-)

As for amount of food it really depends on the fish. You should feed no more than the fish can eat in a few minutes. SO if you're putting food in there and its still there 5 mins later, u are feeding to much.. Less can be more in this case! :-)

Hi guys, sorry I was gone so long. I have been so busy lately.

The fast went well. I did as you said and no signs of his behavior during those 6 days. Things have been going well since, only a few times he has piped like that but not for as long. The couple times it did happen it was after a feeding of pellets. I have considerably cut down the feeding. Instead of one whole cube of gel food I cut that in half as well as the brine shrimp and blood worms. The peas I cut down on the amount as well and I think the pellets are only going in gel food in small amounts now. I will follow the 2 minute rule as well.

I got the nitrate kit and it was only 5 and that was after 5 days in after a water change!

Thanks again for you help:D

I'm glad to hear that things seem to be improving!! Thats great!!!! :-)

These fish and their diet issues are gonna drive us all crazy in the end aren't they?! lololol

Your nitrates at 5 are very good! You're lucky.. mine come out of the tap around 5 or higher! It's such a pain to always try to keep them down!

Let us know if there are any more issues.. Hopefully ur diet changes and cut backs will have done the trick!