Sign in to follow this  
goldone

Fish Jumped Out Of Tank

Hi,

We found our 5 years old goldfish femaile out of the tank this morning.

She has a bruise on the side and is swimming upside down.

We put her back in to the tank and she is now swimming upright, around 15 minutes after being put back.

We are just going to let her be for the moment.

Please give us advice on what we should do water or medication wise to make sure she recover the best.

Is rest and fast just what she needs or what other advice do you have?

Hi Goldone,

I am glad the fish is doing okay now. I am sorry to hear she managed to jump out of the tank. What variety is she? I never witness fancy goldfish jumping out of the tank but singletails potentially can as they are much more adept and sleeker.

What you can do is simply do with the 0.1% solution of salt equivalent to a teaspoon per gallon and keep your water very clean. Do you have photos of the bruised area? If it looked like it has a cut, you may apply iodine solution on it using a Q-tip to prevent secondary infections from setting in. Please try not to keep iodine solution in contact with the gills and eyes.

She is a regular goldfish and loves to jump.

She is sharing a tank with another non fancy who is 2 years younger than her, I am afraid of putting anything in the tank they share.

Also, the younger silver goldfish is very feisty and will be very hard to remove out of the tank, they are very bonded.

We have another large tank but alas not pump to go with it and as I said before I don't want to stress the Big Fishy Gold Girl, the one who jumped by trying to remove the younger silver one.

It only looks like she has a bruise on the side.

Is it ok to do the salt cure even if the other fish is there, I think so.

The iodine is what I worry about.

Thanks for being here and respond in such a prompt manner.

So thoroughly appreciated.

Edited by goldone

Since the bruises are on the flanks, iodine solution is fine but if the bruises don't look like they're going to get ulcerated, settle with the salt and clean water instead. Yes, salt is fine with the others. If you never treated them with praziquantel before, now is the time to treat them using a recommended dosage of 2.5mg per liter. It's a mild treatment but should destroy flukes, a common parasite among goldfish but detected only under microscope. They're still dangerous if not treated causing labored breathings, clamped fins, scratching and listlessness.

I'm sorry your baby jumped...have you thought about a glass tank top so she can't get out of the tank anymore?

She is big and has been doing tail flapping.

But we didn't think she could jump.

We will get screen material today.

I checked Clementine thread and we will set up a bubble making apparatus today.

Where should I get the iodine in case it is needed? Is the brand sold for humans in pharmacy ok or is there a special one for goldfishes?

What is the brand of the aloe vera fin moisturizer?

Salt is sufficient enough, Goldone. As for iodine solution, I use Betadine.

She is big and has been doing tail flapping.

But we didn't think she could jump.

We will get screen material today.

I checked Clementine thread and we will set up a bubble making apparatus today.

Where should I get the iodine in case it is needed? Is the brand sold for humans in pharmacy ok or is there a special one for goldfishes?

What is the brand of the aloe vera fin moisturizer?

I'm glad my Clementine thread is helpful! Clementine is doing very well, almost as good as new, though all the scales have fallen off her one side. Her skin is nice and pink though so I bet new scales will be coming in soon :) The .3% salt and lots of bubbles will help your jumper feel better soon, and won't harm her buddy at all either.

The aloe vera stuff I am familiar with is called "Stress coat". I think API makes it.

Thank you, thank you for your great help!

This is Mrs Goldone speaking and frankly, now that the emergency state has passed, I am about to have

some tears coming.

Mr Goldone is the one who found our Big Fishy Girl, she is four and has moved 3 states down last year with her little sister in another tank. We drove with them in the back seat and had the tanks running on the car electricity.

Both are rescues from a small pet shop with shop with "issues". We rescued at least 4 non fancy goldfish from that place, one only lived a couple of days but he/she was well cared for that day.

Screen material is going to be bought today, enough for our 3 tanks.

Chemistry for the tank where our Big Fishy Girl (the one we are speaking of in that post) is

at 1030 hours

ph 8.4

ammonia 0

nitrite 0

nitrate 0

Mr Goldone added 13 teaspoons of salt in it, it is a 20 gallons tank

Hi,

I find it odd your nitrate is zero unless you actually did a 100% water change or the tank is heavily planted. What test kit do you use? API liquid drops are more desirable as they are more accurate while we advise against getting any test strips, regardless of the brand they are made of.

I'd add 7 more teaspoons to reach 0.1% and add another set in 12 hours. The third and last set should be added 12 hours after the second set.

We did a water change the night before but not 100%.

I do use a test kit, with the two bottles and the little water sampler.

We use municipal water and lets hope that they didn't do anything wrong that would have upset the fishes.

Great to hear that your fish is doing ok! :)

And I'd definitely work on that screening lol.

Clementine thread is really helpful for knowing what the aftermath is supposed to look like.

Without that post, I would have freaked out, big time since our Big Goldfish Girl is starting to look a bit scraggly.

She had a whole day of darkness and low light but we did turn on the kitchen light today.

I found a way to put a cover and we are concentrating on keeping water quality optimal.

Big Goldfish Girl, usually a big eater is not eating at all and her small silver sister refuse to eat from our hands, prefering to graze a little.

Silver Goldfish attitude is much feistier, she looks at us like "don't u dare try to move us from that tank" and is streamlining, she looks more like a seal than a goldfish.

Will it be ok to use the aloe vera treatment with the other goldfish in the same tank?

I believe we treat all our goldfish with praziquantel to destroy fluke when they are in the quarantine tank when they first come from the store.

We are always on the look out for any symptoms and run to this forum if anything doesn't look half right.

Edited by goldone

I think it would be find to add the Stress Coat to the water with the other fish. I am not a mod or helper so I can't really give advice but I know some people use Stress coat as their water conditioner with every water change. I hope your fish gets well soon.

I'd rather not be a stickler to aloe vera too much. It is useful when handling fish especially since the slime coat gets easily damaged but if your fish is already replacing the slime coat by natural means, there is no need to add aloe vera based products. The aloe vera can thicken slime coat quite fast that any excess slime can choke the fish if it goes into their gills. It's not going to be comfortable breathing through it either for them.

She is eating and moving around a lot more.

When her Silver Goldfish Sister was fed, she picked up some of the flakes that fell to the tank floor, so she was given a little more.

Both of my girls are not going near the bubble maker, it is not overly bubbly but it might be the noise of the motor that bug them, any hint?

The side she fell on really looks drier than the other side but the most significant is the tail fin, which parts have fell down. however a tail fin is still present but a bit scraggly.

She has her dorsal fin up, is responsive and swimming a little faster, so I made sure that the covers are on.

She is kind of scared of coming up to the surface and not at all as bossy as she was with Silver Goldfish little Sister. I have to watch the little sister for signs of bullying.

Hello!!! smile.gif

So.....can you please post your levels in tank and answer all the typical help questions?

You were really lucky to have rescued her, she is a fighter!!!!!!! heartpump.gif

Personally, I would salt to .1%. However I would like you to post recent levels before I give any other advice. Need to know all that is going on in tank first. Thanks!

Please provide the following details when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Edited by newbiefishgirl

Hello!!! smile.gif

So.....can you please post your levels in tank and answer all the typical help questions?

You were really lucky to have rescued her, she is a fighter!!!!!!! heartpump.gif

Personally, I would salt to .1%. However I would like you to post recent levels before I give any other advice. Need to know all that is going on in tank first. Thanks!

Please provide the following details when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 7 (betw 5 and 10)

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 8.2

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? api drops

[*]Water temperature? 70

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 20g /1 year

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? eheim cannister, smallest model (don't remember the model#)

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? as needed, lately every other day but usually every 4 days, 30%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 comets: 4 in. and 3 in.

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? goldfish crisps

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? no

[*]Any medications added to the tank? salt

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? no

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

so the same day the one jumped out the other one stopped eating, but is now just starting to eat the mushed peas I'm feeding her, still won't eat the flakes. Would flukes cause them to want to jump out of the tank? And did the other fish stop eating from being traumatized by her tankmate jumping out, or could it be flukes? I did get 1 new fish in the tank next to it a few months ago that I didn't treat with prazi, maybe there was cross contamination, but that 1 new fish doesn't show any signs of flukes.

The 2 comets in the 20g. do seem to "flash" every now and then though, and one of them will sometimes very quickly twitch her fins but even then only on one side.

Anyway, ordered some prazi.