Check Out My New Oranda-Comets

Hi Everyone,

I made a trip to a fish farm this weekend and came across a tank full of large oranda/comets. Apparently a comet somehow got into the breeding pond =] The guy was clearly trying hard to get rid of his "accident" fish and I was only too happy to rescue them from their overcrowded tank.

I am presently treating them for a small lip infection they came with in my QT tank.

Here are some pics of my new babies =]

Any suggestions for names are welcome

http://s809.photobucket.com/albums/zz13/c_ramkalawan/?action=view&current=orandacomets.jpg

http://s809.photobucket.com/albums/zz13/c_ramkalawan/?action=view&current=Nemo.jpg

Neat fish. I like their look.

I was thinking you could name them after famous comets. Halley would be a nice name, but Hale-Bopp and Shoemaker-Levy don't have quite the same ring. May need to think about this a bit more.

Interesting. I keep a singletail black moor myself but I've never witnessed a singletail oranda with such wen growth. The ones I always found had smaller wens. Then again, all goldfish are still the same species. The only thing that stops some varieties from crossbreeding is their difficulty in swimming well during spawning season especially tosakins.

They look pretty cool! I really like comets but I also like the headgrowth on orandas so they're perfect! Only thing: because they swim like a comet do they need 20 gpf as the 10 gpf is for the fancies as they can't swim anywhere near as well? That would put me off...I like to keep my fish in pairs minimum but can't afford to go above a 30 gallon tank...

I'd treat them similar to fancies. The first shot doesn't indicate the oranda x comet crosses will have a much more streamlined body. At the rate they look compressed, they will actually be shorter so I'd treat them similar to fancies. There's also a singletail ryukin called tamasaba just for reference. They're ryukins except they are singletails. I think Ryukin Girl still has hers.

I don't see why it will not work. Despite their less streamlined built, they'll most likely remain shorter than your average comet.:) In fact, I'd treat them the same way we treat our average orandas (not the shortbodied ones as they're on another level).