Gravel Question

Kevbo2210

Hi everyone! I just recently got an empty 10 gallon tank as an early Christmas gift from my roommate and was wondering how many pounds of gravel I should purchase? I have heard the ratio of 1lb of gravel per gallon, but I wanted your opinions ;)

Personally I think 1lb of gravel per gallon is too much, for a ten gallon I'd go for 5lbs of gravel, basically just enough to cover the bottom, and very easy to clean, but I hate having to gravel vacuum forever so I keep my gravel thin.

I've removed my gravel twice and I'll be staying bare bottom this time. You could probably start with 2.5 lbs for a light layer. I think it's easier to add than remove!

edit: I have a thin layer of large gravel in my betta tank, it'a a 10 gal and I used under 2.5 lbs.

Edited by BuggyBear

Going to add something, different gravels also have different sizes, which is why I needed 5 lbs to cover the entire bottom, depending on how large or small your gravel is will determine how much you need as well.

• 2 weeks later...