Sushi Has A Problem

Anielynn

The hydrogen peroxide must be used once only because repeating the process will destroy the healing tissues thus the wound refuses to recover at all. Happens with strong topical treatments and it is also for this reason why you do not want to put it in contact with your fish's eyes, mouths and gills. Do you have access to Neosporin ointment? Once you applied iodine solution, you may apply ointment on the sore. Hopefully, this should do the job. I should have mentioned the ointment earlier but it slipped my mind.

And don't be too concerned with the treatment going into the water. The concentration will not likely harm the fish. I had considered betadine rather mild and never had an issue using it on my fish and leaking a bit of it in the water when I released the fish. The ointment should be fine as well.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Lupin. I have shed a few tears at the possibility of this getting out of control. You are giving Sushi a fighting chance and i really appreciate it. After his would is medicated I have decided to put him in a rubbermaid tub. It may be stressful (scary) for him but i think it needs to be done so his sore will not be bumped or tasted anymore. And i can hopefully keep is water even cleaner. It's going to burn!!! I hate that. I am silly i know. But i guess i am attached and i can't help thinking about it. Taking him out of the tank,scaring the crap out of him, burning his sore with meds and throwing him in a dark scary tub. Gosh,does it get any worse than this? I guess it does so that's why i have to do it. Keep your fingers crossed for us.

edit... i don't mind using iodine if you think that is better.

Edited by Anielynn

Well that was just a freaking nightmare. I decided to set up my 10 gallon in the kitchen so i can keep an eye on him better.We got it all up and running salted and filtered. Good to go. We removed him from the 55 and put him in a bowl. Had all the meds out on the cabinet and ready. My daughter lifted him up out of the bowl head up and i had the betadine on the cotton ball ready to dribble it over the wound. Well the betadine went everywhere when i did it. It mixed with the water on the fish and just spread everywhere.I'm sure it isn't in his eyes or mouth but the gills could have gotten it. So i didn't get the neosporin on. So we put him straight in the tank. How soon before i know if i dosed his gills too? What should i be looking for?Gosh, I may need to go do a water change on the 10gallon in case there is too much betadine in the water

Well it has been several hours. Would he be showing signs by now if i got the betadine where i wasn't supposed too?

He should be fine. It isn't always easy to do. From dealing with recent ulcers I know it is a tricky thing. I use a q-tip soaked in HP and then do a quick lift out with one hand and a swab with the other. If I hold them exactly right I can just lift the head or whatever part is affected out of the water and do a swab. With HP you know you got it right because it turns bubbly and white right away.

I would try salt and keep an eye on it as Lupin is suggesting for the next few days. Any signs of it turning to an ulcer and you need to start and antibacterial food. And QT is always smart in this case.

Good luck...fins crossed for you!

He'll be fine. I agree with Amy on that. Try dabbing neosporin when he is still doing well though so you can seal off possible infections. I would not worry about the neosporin. You can always do a water change if in doubt about the leaked meds.

I don't understand why my nightmare just keeps going on and on. This morning i get up to check on him and the tank has dropped about 10 degrees overnight. :cry1 My heater stopped and my kitchen gets really cold. So i put another heater in and i notice somehow my filter came unplugged last night. :cry1 A cycled filter from my main tank. Unplugged about 10 hours. :cry1 Ammonia between .25 and .50. I do a small water change and after i poured it in i realize i forgot the prime!!!!! This poor little fish.

It has been absolutely ridiculous. But happy to report my ammonia is showing ZERO !!!!!!! :heart:heart:heart:heart:heart My filter survived the drama. :happydance The tank is a toasty 76 degrees and Sushi is a happy little camper. So tonight or tomorrow maybe i will lift and dab with the Neosporin and all better go well. :please

Well i did it. I just don't know if any stayed on him or if it just slid right off him. :doh11: All of this stuff is a little harder than it sounds.But some of it has to be on there surely. I may try again tomorrow.

Hi, I've been following your posts closely. So far I think you are getting pretty good advice but beware, I don't mean to frighten you, I quite sure your fish is has got internal bacteria infection. That's why when you do the swap with Hydrogen Peroxide initially it was without success. When a fish has internal bacteria infection, you have to fight it from the inside.Do you have medicated food? If you do, start giving it straight away.The other remedies you are doing are correct but I think your fish condition is getting into it's critical stage. I lost a Ranchu about 6 mths ago with the same symptoms. It became full blown ulcer about 2 weeks later when the sore became brown in color and the scale started lifting and the sore got bigger each day(sometimes it looked like I'm winning and it got better). Normally you wouldn't be a make a correct diagnosis in the beginning as this symptom points to other causes. I got complacent and made the wrong diagnosis until it was too late, I lost one of my favorite ranchu. I've tried everything but feed him antibiotics. :(. Good luck.

Thank you. I will definitely keep this in mind. Today it may look just a tad better. Not quite so angry and red looking. I could be imagining the improvement though. I think i will wait a couple of more days and see what it does before i do anything but i believe i will order the meds to have in case i need them. They would be nice to have around in any case. I already have jungle medicated food but it has been opened for a few months. So it could be questionable. Thanks for the heads up and i will keep an ever closer eye on it than before if thats possible.

I know! That was just about the last straw. More than i could handle. But here is a pic from today. It still looks messy but less red.

DSC01478.JPG

Hey Stephanie just wanted to send some encouraging thoughts for you and Sushi. :heart:heart:heart I've been following your thread but felt I couldn't add anything useful. I'm glad to see the sore is not as red. You sure did a :goodjob Here's to hoping Sushi will continue to improve. :)

Thank you so much for being here with me through this mess. I can tell you i will be glad to have this behind me. Lupin, I would love a second opinion on medicated food. There are a couple of different types i could order from Goldfish Connection. I just can't tell what i think about his sore. It is less red but.... it looks like it maybe could be bigger. I'm just not sure. Part of it could be Betadine.

Medi-Gold...... MEDI-GOLD contains three of the most effective medications on the market today. The most popular pet shop medicated food only contains ONE medication. That's what makes MEDI-GOLD so much more effective against tough Bacterial and Fungal Diseases.

And this one...Metro-Med is a krill based food that contains Metronidazole and an antibiotic used for treating Hexamita (hole in the head) in Goldfish. A very deadly and contagious disease, Plus, we found it very helpful in treating goldfish that would eat but would remain very thin. After a 2 week treatment many, very thin Goldfish started putting on weight. We also found it very effective in treating the first signs of dropsy.

I know i have heard MetroMeds mentioned alot.

It looks to me a dermal type ulcer. These dont always respond to internal food medication but you could try. If there are any floaty issues at all then MMs is always the better choice but Medigold can be good if the fish is stable and swims well. Its always a tough call..

I would dip this fish in Tricide Neo or QT and treat the water for ulcers. I assume your fish has been treated for parasites with prazi and 0.3% salt?

PS I didnt read the whole thread..did you try a topical application yet?

He is 100 percent swimming and eating no problems at all except this sore. He is in quarantine now with salt at 1%. How would i treat the water for ulcers? He was treated with salt at 3 and prazi. Peroxide with no success. Then Betadine and it seems to be helping. And neosporin.

Edited by Anielynn

Okay well Betadine and neosporin should help. Has the sore developed a white rim all round after the topical?

A water treatment for ulcers -there are several- maybe NEOPLEX by seachem? If the topical hasnt healed it. A white rim indicates healing and it takes time..Active behavior is good.